HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:32 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Looks like I missed a fun day, I worked on my sisters pump.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:33 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Shop day Monday Sept 24, 2012

Yo!

Tim had lent me a tent for my trip to Regugio next month and he was coming over today to show me how to set it up and clean it up after having stored it for 10 years. Garth had sent me a text message he was coming over after his 8:30am appointment to work on his ODOM.

So I rushed out while it was still cool and setup the tent. I figured. It is a tent... I can do that. Glad Bj was home to help getting the exterior extended poles in required two people. Thanks Bj. So that project was done.

I wanted to use the back of my Suburban to camp in instead of using the tent so I then turned my attention to getting the third row seat out. It has never been out of the truck. Garth showed up and added an extra hand at the job and presto remove-o. I tossed in a futon and tried it out. Perfect!

Tim showed up and we proceeded to work on Garths ODOM. He wanted to replace the plastic fair leads with Pekabe. Tim got into that project and helped install the bow Fair lead that was tough to get at. Nice job Tim.

We sat around and talked till almost 4pm. I sure enjoy hanging out with pals on a Monday afternoon.

Now on to the next thing. Hobie AI sailing.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:03 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report Sept 30, 2012

Yo Commodores!

It was our last chance to sail September 2012. I had a text message from Tim, he would see us at the pond. Garth said he was going to miss. But Richard, and Rick were there and we sat down for our Happy Meal at the Holiday Inn.

I mentioned to the guys I emailed the guy selling the Hobie AI in Turlock, and he said he got interested in Hobia AI from our friend John Buckler. John must have a virus kind of thing going with the number of people he has infected with the Hobie AI bug. Way to go John!

Rick showed us his Americas Cup tickets for Wednesday in SF. Very impressive I think he has 1 or 2 still left, contact Rick Harvey.

Richard said his daughter, her husband, and her Father-in-law would be out to the pond later in the day. So we finished our meal and head to the pond.

Walking over I could see Bill pulling up. Bill brought his Fairwind and reported that Lorena is doing better.

I setup my IOM while Richard and Rick setup Victorias and Bill setup his Fairwind to sail. Richard then went on to setup his Fairwind III and Canterbury J for his kids.

While waiting for the family to show up I used electrical tape and taped my phone onto the deck of the IOM. I started up the application called Sports Tracker and tried to sail a course around the pond.

I'm happy to report the tape held and I still have my phone. Not so happy to report the tracking data didn't look very good. Maybe next time.

Dennis showed up about the time Richards family showed up. I turned over my transmitter to Becky father in law and sat back and chatted with folks the rest of the day. Dennis had made me new vessel numbers for my Hobie. Thank you so much Dennis, they look great. And, And, yes two "ands", Dennis gave me two dry bags for the guys to use on their boats. Wow. He said they are only semi dry but should work.

Out on the pond; I could see boats making good use of their bumpers as the newbies had fun. No damage to report. I noticed a few boats tried to go off road, but again the bumpers protected them for the most part. By the end of the day everyone had the hang of it, Richards Grandson did a really good job sailing a Victoria.

The day ended all too soon, with promises to be back out next Sunday.

Charge up your battery and we will see ya at the pond.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Sep 30, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:49 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
"Phone taped to deck of IOM"

Did it phone home?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:26 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
SMYC Pond Report Oct 7, 2012

Yo Commodores,

Wow we had a good group for breakfast, Rick, Tim, Bill, Garth, Charlie, Gus and I. Rick bought several gift bags and handed them out from his trip to the SF cup races.... Very nice of you Rick, thank you!

Garth had pictures from his days sailing the big waters and flying. His close formation flight pictures were awesome. Just a gust of wind or an air pocket could have made things very interesting.

There were stories and conversations going on and good food. One of the conversations was about gas prices being high $4.45 at Costco. But at some point we had to break that up and go sailing. So we did.

Gus had his Victoria and I think we got his radio problems fixed from two weeks ago by making sure we had matching crystals. Charlie sailed Sanibell, Bill had his Seawind, Rick had a Victoria, Garth had his ODOM, I drug out three boats so some walk up family could all sail. The seamed to have a good time. And Rick did a good job of hosting them. Tim had a friend come out and he sailed for a bit while Tim played with his rudder.

Seams like Tim's rudder was loose, a screw had stripped the head. When he got that fixed he put it on too tight. After messing with it a bit more, it was just like baby bear likes it, it was just right. Way to go Tim.

The day seamed to go by so quickly. Great weather temperature wise, good air and good friends.

Next Sunday is the Pot Luck / Sail. So think about coming out with a boat and something good to eat. Bring your own drink, plates, utensils and enough food to share. A letter should be going around about what different folks are bringing so there won't be too many of one thing and not enough of another. These are always fun days. So think about coming out and joining us.

Garth and I are heading to Refugio Tomorrow to camp and sail Hobie AI in the Ocean. That should be interesting.

Charge up your batteries, bake a cake, or make a pot of chili for next week.

Rick
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:53 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
... One of the conversations was about gas prices being high $4.45 at Costco. .........
You should try buying fuel where I am in Australia - unleaded (91 octane) is nearly $1.60 per litre - that works out to over 6 dollars US a gallon I think....

Thanks for the great sailing reports, I really enjoy them!!!
mrpenguin is online now Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:39 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
I always enjoy your report. The fall season is my favorite time of the year. The INS group got together for a fun day of sailing here in Southern Cal. Kevin had his newly built C-J #551. It is a beautiful boat and is fast.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:09 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Great pictures.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:18 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Looks like it was another great day at Plaza Pond.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Santa Barbara coast

Yo,

This week we sailed off the Santa Barbara Coast at Refugio State beach in our Hobie AI. We camped for a couple of days and sailed launching our boats through the surf. What an experience that was. Who knew even small waves are very powerful.

This Sunday we have our R/C sail/potluck. I'm looking forward to that.

Rick
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,276 Posts
Looks like lots of fun. I bet being out on the ocean is totally different then being on a lake.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:22 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Great pictures.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:03 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
SMYC Pond Report and Potluck Sail Oct 14, 2012

Yo Commodores,

I feel in need for a pop pop fizz fizz drink. We celebrated today our annual potluck and sail. We had tables of food and appetites almost as big as our eyes. Betty reminded me that Brownies are the most important food group.

Good thing we stopped for breakfast this morning before going to the picnic. That's right we wanted to make sure we hand the energy to make it all the way to the pond. Garth and Tim joined me. After we headed to the pond where we started hauling out food and some boats.

Don showed up with Emergency Donuts for those that had made the long walk. Thanks Don. On the water we had a Fairwinds, Seawinds, Canterbury J's, IOM, Victorias, RG65, Voyager and probably others that I have forgotten. So a wide variety boats and wind to sail. The winds probably filled in the 5-8 range with puffs.

Bill and Lorena fired up the dual BBQs. Al said Ruthie wanted to make it but just held a shower for a new Grand baby. Congratulations Al and Ruthie and Sophie. Tanner, Scott and Amanda joined us to sail and party. Rick and Bettey were there with more gifts and a Waldorf salad, thank you. Tim brought his Canterbury J and a bunch of super big hot dogs and an Irish potato salad. Mike and Vicki showed up with our Grand dog Luke to cover for Sophie.

Garth brought Snacks for everyone and Bill and Lorena must brought three dozen hamburgers and fixings. Just right for our group. We were expecting more but every so happy to have everyone there that made it.

Ducts and Geese, and Turtles came over, but we had Luke to guard the goods.

It was so much fun to sit and talk and pass transmitters off and we even stopped to eat.

Al had a problem early in the day with his transmitter not wanting to link but that was a quick fix. Tim said he had a rudder problem on his CJ something about the rudder stand being loose.

We talked about the Hobie AI and our Adventure off the Santa Barbara Coast. Garth mentioned it would be fun to sail Morro Bay and camp there next time.

It was a great day on the water. Vicki snapped a few pictures of the guys and their boats. Thanks Vicki.

I'm going to have to walk a bit more this coming week. Where is my pop pop fizz fizz....

Charge up your batteries and we will see ya next week.

I had a great time, thank you everyone for the great food and friendship.

Rick
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:21 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
WOW!
Great pics, and a great bunch of people. Sure sad we didn't make the picnic this year! We gave it our best try and drove over750 miles in one day(my normal avg is 350). Made it in, but was just to tired to unload, and load back up for Sunday. We have a granddaughter's 3rd BD this Sunday, so will miss the next sail as well, grrrrrrrrrrr. Glad everyone had a good time, see you all soon. Ron
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx