SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Tim's CJ is gorgeous. When you look at all of the handiwork, it takes a lot of time.

I'm thinking that Tim has way too much free time on his hands........
CUJ0 is offline Find More Posts by CUJ0
Last edited by CUJ0; Sep 09, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:24 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
193 Posts
Thanks guys for another Plaza Park Pleasing Pleasurable day! Folks, if you're looking at these pics, Rick did an excellant job taking them, however, they can't do justice to just how beautiful these two boats are! Rich and Tim, your are true master builders! Both boats are museum quality, and sail excellant too. It was well worth the trip up there just to see those two, let alone enjoy the excellant relaxing day of sailing. Ya gave me the incentive to get back on mine!!. Ron
blckgnx is online now Find More Posts by blckgnx
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:45 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,296 Posts
It was a good day, great pictures Rick.

Sailing on Plaza Pond 9-9-12 (3 min 22 sec)
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:06 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,812 Posts
Tim,

Wow nice looking C-J. I like the warm color of the wood deck and black hull, it goes very good together. I would liked to have been there to see the beautiful J's in person.

Rick, great pictures and video. Its nice to see the 2 J's sailing together.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:18 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
673 Posts
Hopefully we'll have two C-J's sailing together in Riverside this Sunday. It was blazing hot in Pomona yesterday. I'd imagine it wasn't too pleasant at Fairmount Park. Hopefully this Sunday will be cooler.

Very nice looking boats ya'll have up there.

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:43 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
870 Posts
Js

We have two good looking Canterbury J's with two more in the building queue. Then we have the 36" J's too. Dennis is getting close with his. Al sailed one and has one waiting to be built. If Al fires up he could have his ready soon too.

Good fun.

I'm looking forward to the BBQ / Sail that should be fun too.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:15 PM
Hanford, CA
Joined Nov 2008
43 Posts
Thanks Ed
I was begining to think I would never get it built. It was fun to build, but I worked very carefully not to make big mistake. The deck alone took four days to lay each stip of wood. Yesterday was worth the all the work.
Thanks again

Tim C-J 515
Odomtim is offline Find More Posts by Odomtim
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:50 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,812 Posts
Tim,

How about posting some pictures of #515 on the C-J discussion site. I would like to more pictures of your boat and I am sure other people will be interested.

Here is the link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464216

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:52 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Nice video of a nice relaxing day hanging out with good friends. Interesting color of the water.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Last edited by SD RC Boater; Sep 11, 2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:09 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
870 Posts
Short video from the Sierra SC page

My friend John is sailing an 11' Enlish Topper. I'm in my Hobie AI on Lake Kaweah Tuesday 9/11/2012

Fun day on the water.
John B sailing with me on my first day with new boat (0 min 50 sec)

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Sep 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:02 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,296 Posts
Looks like a fun boat.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:27 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Nice video Rick. Here is one of someone trying out the new nets.

6 Sailing Hobie AI with nets. (3 min 0 sec)
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:49 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
870 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report Sept 16, 2012

Yo Commodores,

It was the last warm day of summer with the light winds and temps near 100. Garth had sent a text that he was out. We hadn't heard from anyone else so we ordered our Happy Meals and Richard, Tim and I talked about the past weeks activities.

Richard sailed with the Sierra SC club last Thursday and tried out a Hobie AI and that was a highlight, and Tim's new cheek blocks on his Canterbury J.

We moseyed over to the pond after with light air things felt calm. Tim and Richard setup their very well crafted Canterbury J while I snapped some pics. I setup my trusty 180 ODOM after they had both launched.

In the very light air the ODOM struggled to keep up with all the sail area of the bigger boats. The ODOM would start up quicker when a puff came in, and the Cj's lagged. But then on the back end when the puff passed it was hard to tell the wind left the 17# boats as they kept going.

I tweaked the ODOM setting several times and think I came closer to parity in the lighter air. When the winds came up 4-5 the ODOM showed more power. But the Cj's were still rolling along.

Tim had made a PVC launcher using the same method Richard used and they sure launchers really did the trick. Sure beat getting down on your knees to get your boat in the water or out.

We had a great day sailing and thought about the folks that didn't make it. Next week our temperatures could drop 10 degrees and I expect that for the next few weeks. WooHoo!

I'll catch up with everyone next Sunday at the pond. Remember we are still shooting for a Picnic sail on Oct 14.

Rick
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,296 Posts
Great pictures, Tims Launcher looks like Richard's launcher.
Nice cheek blocks.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:25 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
870 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report Sept 23, 2012

Yo Commodores!

Rick sent email he would be out of town, Tim sent a text will be late see ya at the pond. So I figured Richard Garth and I would hold down the fort at the Holiday Inn and then sail But as I parked Richard was there and up came Gus and Charlie. Woohoo... We hadn't seen them in a while and they joined us for our happy meal.

At breakfast Garth shared a photo album, you remember those they were things we used to put pictures in and stack them in the closet. Anyway he did bring an album and it was chalk full of photos of his 17 day trip on the Eagle the coast guards square rigger. Awesome. What an adventure. Thanks Garth for sharing.

After they kicked us out of the Holiday Inn, we headed to the pond. Where Al was all setup with his tugboat, Vic and footy. Tim pulled up and everyone started hauling out boats and chatting. This is almost as much fun as sailing. Almost. The Cj's were represented with Tims and Richards looking good. I brought an IOM to mess with them in the light air. Charlie had his Sanibel, Gus brought his America 3. Garth had his #88 Seawind sailing well.

Gus had an issue with his transmitter/receiver not working. No problem we keep a backup radio setups for just such problems and he was on the water quickly. I brought his radio setup home to trouble shoot. What I ended up finding was mis-matched crystal set. I was thinking he probably has another set just like it at home. Kind of like when you wear a Brown and Black pair of shoes to work, and you just know there is another set like it at home.

We had a guy by the name of Lucky come out looking for our friend Dennis. So we got to shake Luckys hand, we offered him a boat but he wasn't ready. Next time maybe.

My wife came out to the pond (Bj). I knew I must have messed up something or was in trouble. But apparently not this time. Her brother and his wife were coming by the pond on their way from Yosemite to Newport Beach and wanted to see what this RC sailing was about. So they joined us and sailed. I took them back over the house after and showed them my new toy the Hobie AI.

Everyone had a great day. The winds were light and we had time to hunt for the next puff. When the wind came it with seven or eight boats out things perked up.

We have our picnic coming up Oct 14. If you haven't posted on the Sierra MYC yahoo group in the poll, please lead me know a head count for the pot luck.

Another great day sharing a fun Hobby. Please note Garth took a couple of photos that made things look like miniatures. Very unique setting on his camera. Thanks Garth. Thanks Tim for the loan of the tent.

See ya at the pond next time.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Sep 23, 2012 at 09:19 PM.