HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined May 2011
8 Posts
Thank you for all your comments on my Canterbury J. This is a picture of my Canterbury J driving over my Victoria. No I wasn't at the controls .
Richard
selmarichard is offline Find More Posts by selmarichard
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:45 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,440 Posts
Looks nasty. Damage report?
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:03 PM
Hanford, CA
Joined Nov 2008
43 Posts
Hi everyone Rick is out of town this weekend so I get to write the pond report this week.
Today was a great day for wind and judging by the number of boats on the water most of the group missed it. Richard and I were only two today. With just two Victorias on the water the pond was the domain of the steadily growing flock of geese. After a bit Al, and the clubs watch dog Sophie walked up; well Al was walking. Ruthie was across the park at the play ground benches watching thier grandaughter play. She has had her fourth knee surgury on her right knee and is doing good, and getting ready to start physical therapy this week good luck Ruthie. Al said he will be back and sailing very soon . We finished about 2:00 pm and wrapped up a very comforatable sailing day. Oh yeah it was finally below 100 degrees today, very nice.
Until next time.
Tim
Odomtim is offline Find More Posts by Odomtim
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:05 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,275 Posts
Great report Tim.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:11 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
Pond Report

Thanks Mr Tim.

It was good to see the pond report while I was in Oregon.

I worked on my Hobie trailer this week. Maybe the week of Sept 10th I can pick up my AI. I'm ready.

I have promised myself when it gets to a high of 80 I'm taking the Hunter out again.

I'll load up some boats and see you folks at breakfast on Sunday. I'm ready to sail again. I see a high of 91 and 4-5 mph winds predicted. woohooo

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined May 2011
8 Posts
C j

Hi Everyone ,
After the shakedown cruise, I discovered that the brass screws holding the shroud plate were pulling out . I re drilled the screw holes and used brass machine screws, and nuts. I think they will hold now.
This year I want to build a 60 inch J boat. Do any of you know someone who has built one so I can get some needed help .
Richard
selmarichard is offline Find More Posts by selmarichard
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:48 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
879 Posts
selmarichard
you know that fella in Florida, Milton Thrasher says he can do J boat plans
to whatever scale you want ?i guess he does laser cut frames too......
www.angelfire.com/fl4/mft
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:14 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report Sept 2, 2012

Yo Commodores!

I'm back! You would have thought that the Holiday Inn would have been informed of my return but no. For some reason they were over flowing with customers trying to get into the restaurant. Didn't they know about our pre-sail meeting and happy meal. So Tim, Garth, Richard and I headed to our back up Country Waffle over on Acre street.

We made out fine there with a $7.99 Steak and Egg breakfast. Not everyone, remind you, got the jack prize of a bracelet in their ice water but, they must have heard I was coming for breakfast.

We were concerned that folks showing up at the Holiday Inn would miss us so I sent a text message and called Rick H to let him know where we would be. Should have mention which Country Waffle we were going to, we have two in town. Dang.

It was good catching up with the guys. We heard that Richard is thinking about a 60" J. Tim talked about almost being ready to sail his Cj. Garths new Hobie AI purchase was great news. I mentioned to the guys an update, Fairwind III was going to be shipping their boats without the ballast installed, I have not confirmed this with Kyosho so at this point it is only a rumor.

After polishing off the breakfast we headed to the pond, where our pal Rick Harvey joined us and our long last pals Sophie, Ruthie and Al were waiting.

It was good to see Ruthie and see her up and around. She is doing well. Al had his RG65 out sailing with new sails. Sophie stood watch and protected us all day from harm. Way to go Sophie.

Tim talked with Ruthie and they decided that October 14 would make a perfect day for the club picnic/sail. Ruthie said something about making chili, always welcomed in my book. I think Tim said he would bring filet mignon for everyone or something else. If you can make it on Oct 14, please send an Email to the group and let us know what you will be bringing.

Garth setup his Seawind, Richard had his White/Green Vic, Rick sailed his Vic, I sailed my J36 and Al sailed his Rg65.

Al had some glitching problem with his boat and we proceeded to check that out. The rudder and sail servo would twitch for unexplained reasons. Tim suggested the antenna's were below the water line. So we took a look at that and moved the antenna leads up and out of the boat. We tested that and still we had glitches. We tossed in a new RX and wired it up and tested, but the same problem. We put the old RX back in and swapped TX and the glitching stopped.

It appeared that every time Al would touch the Sail control on the radio it would glitch. I brought his radio home so we could take a peak. Maybe a loose ground or something like that.

Al and Ruthies daughter and Grand-daughter joined us and sailed. We had some folks walk up and we all handed over our transmitters to the folks.

We sailed and chatted and the time flew by. I was kind of rusty and didn't get tons of pictures. But I was very happy to be back with everyone.

Tim is planning on stopping by the shop on Friday to work on his Cj. Garth and Richard said they might stop by too. There is room for more if your out and about. Probably starting around 10am.

We didn't leave the pond until 5pm. Good thing one of the wives called or we might still be there. Thanks!

As one of my friends would say, "This Hobby is too good not to share".

Rick
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:32 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,275 Posts
Looks like a fun day, I had to go to a birthday party.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:21 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
487 Posts
@Fairwind900:
Great report, thanks for sharing.....
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:33 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,251 Posts
How do you guys like the RG65s ?
I am getting closer to sailing in the North as opposed to the South. Getting ready to move part of the S CA. Fleet to Bakersfield.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:28 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post
selmarichard
you know that fella in Florida, Milton Thrasher says he can do J boat plans
to whatever scale you want ?i guess he does laser cut frames too......
www.angelfire.com/fl4/mft
Have any of you bought from him? I like the looks of the IOD frames- that it can be ordered in any (reasonable) size is interesting.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:30 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
How do you guys like the RG65s ?
I am getting closer to sailing in the North as opposed to the South.
This looks like a great place to sail an RG65 to me!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:52 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
Wait Manny, if you are moving. Drive a bit further and sail with us. If you are just going up to race okay, but if you move think Visalia..... I'd like to have you with our gang.

Rick
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:03 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
Glitch in transmitter

Al's RG65 was having an interesting problem on Sunday. His boats sail servo was going wild if you just touched the sail control stick on the transmitter.

We tried trouble shooting it at the pond by, putting in new batteries, switching rx and then the tx and found the problem stayed with the transmitter.

The Problem:
Every time you put any pressure on the sail control on the transmitter, the sail servo on the boat would shake and move around out of proportion, considering you didn't move the stick.

The Solution:
Just exercise the heck out of the stick. Forward / Back and repeat many times. It is just dust in the trim pot.

I setup a test on my bench at the house, and opened the back of the transmitter and added a bit of solder on the two control pot connections on the left side of the transmitter where the sail control arms are.

Everything is good now and the transmitter is in the truck ready to return to Al.

Thanks Al for letting me play.

Rick