HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:28 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,790 Posts
I sure like the deck on the Canterbury J.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:06 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Canterbury

Hi Ed,

I like Richards decks too. He has it ready to sail. He may come down this week for a pre-test sail. Garth said he may come by on Thursday to the shop. He wants to make a stand for his ODOM I think and he has a new servo for it that we will take a look at installing.

Temps still hitting 100 so the A/C will get a work out.

What a great hobby.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:13 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
SMYC Shop report Aug 15 2012

Yo,

Garth came over to work in the shop today on a couple of projects. First was to build a new stand for his ODOM. His second project was remove and replace his sail servo with a smaller lighter faster servo...

It was fun working with Garth as he hadn't had the chance before to work with power tools. We had an example stand and took the measurements off it to build his. It didn't take two long, cut 7 boards, cut some strapping tape. Screw stuff together, a few staples, 4 nails and yeah some head scratching.

We took a Subway sandwich break at noon and ran up to Lake Kaweah. Garth got to sail his Seawind in some big air and we had lunch. I took a pattern and measurements off of a friends Hobie AI trailer bunks so I can make my own.

Our Sierra SC friends with Hobie AI came over and it was terrible.... It was terrible...Garth was bitten by the infamous Hobie AI bug. And I just talked to him he is picking his boat tomorrow in the Sacramento area. So sorry Garth.

We came back to the house and finished his ODOM projects removing and installing new sail servo.

It was a long but very productive day.

This hobby is too good not to share.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Aug 17, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:25 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
SMYC Pond test day Aug 17, 2012

Yo Commodores.

I had a call and Richard wanted to pre-test his Canterbury J, before we did an offical launch with the club. So I met him at the Holiday Inn for breakfast for our usual Happy Meal.

After we headed to the pond for a while to see if the CJ would float. Richards boat looked perfect. Some of the rigging needed adjustment but that is just the way it is with any new boat. We had to jury rigg a couple a tie off for his pivot point at the bow. Other than that, we were ready.

He chucked it in the water and I grabbed some pictures as it floated for the first time. After working on the rudder trim everything worked. It sailed well enough that I went over and setup a J36 to sail with him.

Richard sure does nice work. Handsome boat. The CJ turns effortlessly and big boats with lots of sail cruise in even a puff of air.

We took note of some things that were minor that could be changed. Other than that I think he is ready to unveil the boat at a club sail.

Thanks Richard for letting me play with your very pretty boat.
Another fun day..

Rick
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:41 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
I tried meeting up with you guys for breakfast....... Dreaded phone calls.

It makes me so happy to see Richard's CJ in the water! The detail is amazing. The deck? Wow!

ETA: I reset my endpoint adjustments on the ODOM because there was way too much throw. 4.8V seems to be working alright. We'll see this Sunday. . .I'll bring out a 5-cell pack just in case. I eliminated the extra, unnecessary hardware from the crane.
CUJ0 is offline Find More Posts by CUJ0
Last edited by CUJ0; Aug 17, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,790 Posts
Richard,

Congratulations on the launch of your "CJ". It sure is a beautiful boat. When I first sailed my "CJ" I was amazed at how fast it turns.

Ed
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:18 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
You guys are having to much fun, "CJ" boat looks beautiful on the water.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:32 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Very, very pretty Canterbury J!!!
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report Aug 19, 2012

Yo Commodores!

We park at the lake and walk over to the Holiday Inn for breakfast on Sundays. Today we found Richard sweeping up the club house porch for us. Thanks Richard we all appreciate it.

At breakfast we had Tim, Richard, Rick, Garth and myself. The talk was about Richards new Canterbury J that he would launch today, and Garths new 5995tg servo in his ODOM, and more importantly his new Hobie Adventure Island full scale Kayak Sailboat. I told him it was my boat. I can't wait to go to the lake and sail with him.

Richard said he had three family members that would come out and join us today Jerry, Bob and John. It is always to have family and friends come out and learn to sail.

After our happy meal we headed over to the pond to find Commodore Don sailing his Voyager. Richard brought out his Canterbury J and it drew many ooohs and ahhhs. He does such nice work.

Richard had added a bow cleat and moved his jib pivot point back on the deck since our Thursday test sail. The brass on the deck looked good.

The winds were up and all the boats moved quickly on the water. Which is great for us old timers, but made it a bit dicey for the 9 boats on the water with three newbies at the helm.

It wasn't hard to imagine that some would T bone someone else. Matter of fact we didn't have to imagine it long. BANG, there it was. Richards brand new Canterbury J had driven over the stern of his Green and White Victoria such that it was between the mast and the back stay. Further it was wedged in there.

Everyone wanted to help so we grabbed our cameras.... Click click click and all the other boats circled the sinking Victoria and Cj. Someone driving my Red Odom came over to help. For a bit I was thinking both boats were going to dunk the Vic. Click click click.... We were helping...

This foul deed went on for what seamed 10 minutes. Thankfully we all had a chance to get pictures. Then they went and spoiled the Kodak moment and the boats came apart after driving into the far shore. Cement is good for new paint.

Garth, Tim, Don and Rick enjoyed some short course racing. While others were just glad to not crash... I had my small J36 out on the water and it was fun sailing in good air next to the bigger J.

The day passed all too quickly. At the end Richard was testing getting his rails wet on the Cj to see what it could take. Pop... there went the O ring attachment on his jib boom and the jib boom turned into a kite. Very nice kite, but it wasn't a jib any longer. No problem. The side shrouds kept the mast up right. Good thing I had already taken nearly 120 pictures....

Everyone folded up and stowed the boats around 3pm I think.. What a great day. Ready for another.

See ya at the pond in two weeks...

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Aug 19, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
Two "J" Boats on Plaza Pond (2 min 35 sec)
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:23 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Video

Thanks Don for posting the video...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:04 AM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
512 Posts
Did Richard do a build log on his CJ?

I am interested in the process he went through to put the rail around the planked deck. I love scale boats and J boats and have been thinking about building one to scale and adding laser cut frames to the deck like the big J boats have along with some Harken hardware.

His CJ is beautiful. I am jealous.
David
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:24 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,790 Posts
Richard,

Great shakedown cruise on the "CJ". I am looking forward to seeing more pictures of your boat on the water. The deck with all the brass hardware looks great.

Ed
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:23 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
192 Posts
Well Richard,
A BIG Congrats on the "J", she looks great. Hard to believe the collision with your own boat, what are the odds?? Anyway, many thanks to all for the pics, and vid. Would sure like to have seen the launch in real life, however, I was having such a great time in the hospital for the past 4 days, I just couldn't break away. I'd like to get overhauled, however, I don't see that happening, so we'll just do the best we can. OK, mates, see ya when I can. Ron
blckgnx is online now Find More Posts by blckgnx
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:14 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
Take care Ron, and hurry back to the pond.