HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:03 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,035 Posts
Just checking, this is more or less the "what did you sail with today?" topic, right?

In that case, I just had a great time sailing my second Micro Magic. First the wind was quite weak, and it was a challenge to keep the boat moving. After a while the wind increased and things got more interesting. it's always a feeling of accomplisment when your boat is tuned such that it will keep it's course when you set the sails just right. I've got mine trimmed that it will keep it's heading when listing to port, even with slight gusts. Listing over starbord it will slowly turn towards the wind if the sticks are not touched, so a little counter steering is needed. I prefer to have it this way, otherwise I would have to counter steer on both orientations, now only on one, listed to port it sails handsfree, on and on, on and on, on and...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:11 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Forgot to mention.....what a beautiful C-J!!!!! Amazing!!!

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:08 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Solo

You might want to check your setup next time. Maybe it is weight distribution in the boat or maybe your mast is leaning more to one side than the other. For me it is optimal when the boat slides into the wind as the wind picks up on either port or starboard tack.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:16 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
You might want to check your setup next time. Maybe it is weight distribution in the boat or maybe your mast is leaning more to one side than the other. For me it is optimal when the boat slides into the wind as the wind picks up on either port or starboard tack.

Rick
Thanks for the advice. The weight is dead center though. I deliberately trimmed the rudder for this "imbalance". The rudder trim is slightly off-center so it provides just a fraction of counter steer when the boat is listed to port, so it keeps sailing on and on until I touch the rudder, or there comes a really strong gust, in that situation it will also turn the bow to the wind. Added benefit of this "bad trimming" of the rudder is that the boat also goes straight when going downwind, if the main sail is swung to starboard, and the jib to port. Since the mainsail is bigger, this usually makes a boat with neutrally trimmed rudder make a slow curve towards the side where the jib is, and you have to counter steer to prevent this. My "lazy" trimming makes this almost unnecessary, the boat can often sail downwind handsfree. Only when the boat is listed to starboard, it needs a fraction more left rudder to keep from slowly turning into the wind.

It's minor trimming difference though, one or 2 clicks of trim to the right and the rudder is fully neutral, and I would need to counter steer on any course where the boat is listing. So it's a "built-in" trim off-set for the rudder, to make it run more or less hands free on listing to port and downwind. Partially because I'm lazy, partially because it makes filming while operating the controls a little easier. All vids I shot of my Micro Magics were shot by me, while in control of the sailing boat.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Aug 12, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:42 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report Aug 12 2012

Yo Commodore,

Garth had written and said he wanted to keep the sailing day short because of the heat today. Good thinking. We had six for breakfast Garth, Tim, Rick H, Richard, Bill and myself. It was nice to have a group. Lots of catching up and very little Ketchup bottles. It was fun to sit inside watching for some movement in the threes.

We paid the check and headed to the pond. Richard had his Canterbury J almost ready to sail. He is waiting for turnbuckles to arrive and he he should be set. Everyone stood around his boat and admired his work.

I brought a smaller 36j just in case to sail with him. For some reason my rx didn't sync as fast as I was thinking it should have so I proceeded to go on a wild goose chase to fix it when it wasn't broken. Fixing something that isn't broken is the hardest repair. Tim said I should have bought a good radio. That could have almost hurt my feeling. sniff sniff...

Tim had his Voyager II, Garth brought his Seawind, Bill sailed his Fairwind, Rick sailed his Vic and so did Richard. After breaking out my back up Vic to sail, I decided to give the 36j one more shot and got it going. I just wasn't waiting long enough for it to sync up I guess.

The day did get hot probably 102 or so but we sat on the club house porch and it was okay. A walk up came by and I handed him my transmitter as he was saying oh no I'll wreck it. They all say that but they all really want to try out the hobby. He had sailed catamarans and did fine as soon as he figured out the controls.

Tim and Garth were into racing today and did several runs. I got in with them on one and I was happy with the 36" boats performance against the 1 meter boats. Not sure who was winning between the Voyager II and the Seawind but it looked competitive to me.

I left the pond early today around 2pm. I had a great time and I'll be ready to sail again next Sunday. Garth said something about coming over to the shop maybe during the week.

Hope to catch you out sailing with us next week

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Aug 12, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Rick,

I know you said you were having(Non existant) radio problems with the 36 J - but a shotgun(pic #4) seems a little extreme

I can't wait to get my 36 J done!
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by werlec View Post
Rick,

I know you said you were having(Non existant) radio problems with the 36 J - but a shotgun(pic #4) seems a little extreme

I can't wait to get my 36 J done!
It just needed a little "motivation" to get going. . .

Richard's deck and hatch on his CJ left me speechless. Incredible craftsmanship there. . . Wow!
CUJ0 is offline Find More Posts by CUJ0
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Cj

Garth is right, Richard work is worth seeing.

Werlec, My buddy Rick H didn't want to see my J36 suffer and was ready to put it out of its misery. Good thing it recovered, or I would have been stuffing bubble gum in the hull where a bunch of new air vents were created.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Aug 12, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:56 PM
Hanford, CA
Joined Nov 2008
43 Posts
Hey Rick
I was thinking 30 minutes to sync the radio is just about right. We wouldn't want you to rush into anything now would we.

Tim
Odomtim is offline Find More Posts by Odomtim
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:38 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
Guns in the clubhouse.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
Guns in the clubhouse.
No. It was just a laminated stock for a 10-22 that RH brought for "show and tell." No action, bbl, etc.,
CUJ0 is offline Find More Posts by CUJ0
Last edited by CUJ0; Aug 12, 2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:26 AM
Joined May 2008
20 Posts
Oops! Didn't expect that to happen. Sorry, Rick. It was just a stock, but I should have thought about the possible backlash!
RickHarvey is offline Find More Posts by RickHarvey
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:20 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
192 Posts
OK Rick,
You can redeem yourself by letting me confiscate the stock, and I'll promise to never let it appear under anyone's camera again!! Ron
PS,
I you had the hard parts, that would be even better. I'll even pay next year's dues for ya. What are friends for?
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Next years dues

Wow Ron offering to pay your whole next years dues for you Rick. Rick I would take him on that quick before I publish that the dues for next year will double in order to cover the extra A/C on the front porch, and open bar cost that seam to have crept higher this last year and to fully fund my retirement.

By the by I may accept early payment via Pay Pal.....

Rick
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:53 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
All right, we're getting a open bar.
I could use a new stock for my 10-22.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME