It was fun playing bumper boats.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:26 AM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Don,

Great pics. You must've reversed the images in photoshop because the 88 boat is always in last place!
CUJ0 is offline Find More Posts by CUJ0
Last edited by CUJ0; Jul 23, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:14 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report July 29, 2012

Yo Commodores,

Richard, Garth, Tim and I rounded out the crew for breakfast today. Garth brought his brand new HS 7995 servo with him for show and tell. Servo City had them for $69. I think John bought one too. We are hoping to put it in the ODOM.

Over at the pond later we each pulled out a different boat. Tim had his Vic, Richard sailed his Fairwind III, Garth had his ODOM and I sailed one of my Prams. The wind was on and off when we started and the Pram with it huge tiller/rudder could move when everything else stopped. Fun...

We watched a guy in a Red pickup parallel park in an amazingly tight spot. I took a picture and gave him a thumbs of for making it. He must have really wanted his truck in the shade.

Garth needs to make a boat stand for his ODOM. I took a picture of Richards Fairwind III because it is a pretty boat, and the stand he is using came from a TV tray and works very nicely.

Tim stayed and sailed with us most of the day which is amazing considering he was going off to work a full shift tonight. Oh to be young and have so much free time.

We heard from our friend Bill Young saying he wasn't going to make it to the pond in August. We expect to see him next year.

Rick H gave us our roving report update from Nebraska. Some guys will go to any length to stay cool.

Our Tehacipite clan has been quiet as of late. We hope all is well up there. Tim said something about wanting to sail Thursday. Hint...

As the day moved along I swapped out my Pram for an ODOM and the air was fun to play in on our short course races.

We talked about changing our leeward mark rounding back to a starboard rounding. Funny how quick you can get used to the other way. I missed the mark two or three times today from my seat on the front porch.

Richards birthday is this week. Happy Birthday Richard!!!!

It was another great day at the pond.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:43 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,369 Posts
Looks like another nice day at the pond! What type of boat is your "pram"? except for the rig, it looks a lot like an El Toro.
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:19 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Great pictures.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:54 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
Pram

Hi,

Many dingy sailboats have the same basic hull shape. My buddy Rob built this pram taking the measurements off a Pram he owned. I'm thinking a Vanguard Pram but he can correct me if I'm wrong. He made the boat out of 1/8" door skin then fiber glassed the hull. It often gets compliments when I take it out. The tiller arm that swings across the transom gets peoples attention. It is a fun boat to sail. When you get it up on the edge it can get very exciting too.

What a great hobby.

Rick
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:32 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
I'm looking forward to a "shop day" where I can work on my boats with SMYC help.
CUJ0 is offline Find More Posts by CUJ0
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:40 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
Shop is open

When ever Garth, the shop is open. I went in there a few times today and almost worked on one of my boats. The mood has to be right. The Pram has been calling me to modify the mast/sails and add some battens.

Come on down. I want to play with that new servo.

Rick
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:58 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
When ever Garth, the shop is open. I went in there a few times today and almost worked on one of my boats. The mood has to be right. The Pram has been calling me to modify the mast/sails and add some battens.

Come on down. I want to play with that new servo.

Rick
I can relate to this, but i never go into mine I just walk on by !!
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:58 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
SMYC Pond Report Aug 5, 2012

Yo Commodores,

Ron got first place today for getting to the Holiday Inn before the rest of us. Everyone was glad to see him. Rick H was back from his long road trip to Nebraska. Tim joined us and we were all interested to see what he brought for show as he said it was something special. Garth, Richard and I rounded out the table for six. It was great catching up with everyone news, and our Happy Meal was spot on.

When we got to the pond everyone pulled out Victoria to sail. Tim showed us his humongous full scale plans for a J boat. With the wind blowing pretty good the big plans quickly turned into a sail. Good thing all hands were on deck to rescue it. Very nice Tim.

Then onto the water and the Vics spent the day running on the short course and a few laps to the end of the pond. I'm pretty sure everyone took turns coming in first and finding themselves in Irons as the wind shifted quickly. You could sail down wind both up and back on one short course race and the next into the wind both ways. The last corner was very tricky to get around.

Tim and I had a discussion about sailing rules. We even saw a rare cameo of the AMYA sailing rule book. Oh my, the humanity of it all.

Cudos go to Tim, I think he did the best job of tuning for the wind conditions today. I asked him what changes he made he said he slid his jib boom back and closed the gap. Of course that was the right thing for today. See picture of Tim sliding attachment point on his jib.

It was a good day for sailing. We had a good wind and chairs to sit in the shade and visit. Everyone had a good time.

If you didn't make it this Sunday maybe you can join us next week.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Aug 05, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:24 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Looks like I missed a good time.
I did work on my Victoria today, sanded the bulb & hull.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:16 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
SMYC shop day

Yo Commodores,

Okay it wasn't an official shop day, but we had a chance to look at Richards new Canterbury J in the shop today. The goal was to determine where to put the attachment point on the bow for the Jib pivot.

Richard is just waiting for some turn buckles for his shrouds and he should be good to get everything done and the boat on the water.

We came up with a 5" back from the bow as where he would put on his new hardware for the attachment point. The rules don't specify where this is and it looked like many folks use a chain plate or multiple eyes on the bow. Richard wanted just one so we messed with it.

If someone has a better placement for a single eye please speak up.

Richard did a great job on his boat. I sure like the scuppers and the detailed deck work. His deck house is awesome too. Way to go Richard.

Rick
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:43 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Canterbury J is looking great.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:06 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
612 Posts
My C-J has three jib pivot positions, the forward one approx. 7inches from the bow and the aft 8inches.

Hans' build instructions suggest a 2inch "jib rack" with it's forward edge 6.5 inches from the bow. I would think 5 inches is too far forward, but I don't pretend to be an expert.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
Yo Commodores,

Okay it wasn't an official shop day, but we had a chance to look at Richards new Canterbury J in the shop today. The goal was to determine where to put the attachment point on the bow for the Jib pivot.

Richard is just waiting for some turn buckles for his shrouds and he should be good to get everything done and the boat on the water.

We came up with a 5" back from the bow as where he would put on his new hardware for the attachment point. The rules don't specify where this is and it looked like many folks use a chain plate or multiple eyes on the bow. Richard wanted just one so we messed with it.

If someone has a better placement for a single eye please speak up.

Richard did a great job on his boat. I sure like the scuppers and the detailed deck work. His deck house is awesome too. Way to go Richard.

Rick
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:47 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
Attachment point

Thanks Kevin,

I sent your message on to Richard via email and tried to call him. I'm thinking if he hasn't put the hardware on then he can move it back. If he has then he can make another attachment point further back.

We sail generally in lighter air so maybe it will be okay.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Aug 09, 2012 at 03:27 PM.