HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:47 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
"I lost that keel nut once and Rob and I found that a spark plug nut had the same thread. Any port in a storm."

I like the bigger nut, it's easier to grip with these old hands.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post

I like the bigger nut, it's easier to grip with these old hands.
I'll just take your word for it. . .
CUJ0 is offline Find More Posts by CUJ0
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:54 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUJ0 View Post
I'll just take your word for it. . .
As the kids would say -- ROFLMAO
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:38 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Playing with a Round Ranger

Yo,

Played with my Round Ranger today and cut in the keel slot. This was nerve wracking because you always worry about cutting a straight line. Given you can find a straight line on a round boat.

Sometimes you are stuck in your building because you run into something you haven't done before or because you tried it once and it didn't work out perfectly. I just bit the bullet today and did it.

I'm not done but the keel slot is cut.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:32 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,597 Posts
After fixing the small gap between hull and deck on the stern of my second MM, today I had the opportunity to test the repair. Wind conditions were poor, strong enough, but shifting constantly. It was so erratic that you could sail a few metres with the boat listing to port, then make a 180, and sail the same distance back with the boat again listing to port...

But despite some gusts where the nose was pushed into the water, the inside was dry, except for a few drops, that probably only fell in as I opened the hatch.

One problem solved, but another reared it's ugly head. Next to the mast are 2 rings screwed into the deck, for the side stays. But since my boat uses a carbon mast instead of an alu one, the side stays were dropped. So what happened today is that the wire going to the jib got caught around that ring on the deck, so the jib couldn't be reeled in, and since the main sail is on the same servo, this was also jammed. The first time it took me a while to realize why the sails were not working, and I had to manually free the wire. The second time it freed itself. If it happens more often, I might remove the ring, or modify it so no wire can get caught behind it.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:41 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Looking forward to seeing that Round Ranger on the water !!!
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Rick,

What kind of sail rig will you be putting on the Round Ranger ?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:48 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Rig

Hi Manny

What would you recommend?

I've been toying with going with a traditional Bermuda sail plan to start and then start experimenting. I'm making the keel removable in hopes that I can play with different weights for the keel ballast. Hopefully I can make it so it can chase down a Victoria on a light air day. Do I have a chance at that???

I have some 550 size helicopter blades I will use for the rudder and the keel.

I've made up enough keel box material to hopefully get three RG65's going.

I like the idea of the Z bend rigs. I've seen the new sail plans with a large head and square sail.

My thinking is the RG65 is an experimental type of boat so I will probably first build something that I know how to tune.

But I'm open to suggestions.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Jul 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
We have two on the bench right now, we are going to build them the way Jim Linville did for the AMYA magazine. I like the single sail, and have seen Jims boats sail in person and they seem to move pretty good.
Most of the guys at Hansen dam prefer a swing rig. We will soon have 6 or 7 on the water.
Those helicopter blades should work great.
I may be up there soon and will pack my Viper Fish RG.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:58 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Whistle up any time you come up this way Manny and I will sail with you.

Rick
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:26 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Looks about right to me.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:37 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,590 Posts
it would be interesting to see how that square sail would work with full size bats, end of sail all the way to the mast. Kinde like a fabric wing so to speak.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:14 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
RG65 build Round Ranger

Yo,

The boats are loaded in the truck for tomorrow and nothing was on TV so I spent some time with the RG65 Round Ranger project today.

Goal was to install the Keel box that will hold the helicopter blade. The Keel box is made out of fiberglass. I had the opening in the bottom of the hull for a tight fit of the blade but today I made it a bit wider to accept the keel box too. I wanted the keel box to extend past the hull so that I would get a good tight fit and keep it from wandering.

With 30 min epoxy mixed with micro balloons and the hull rough sanded. I pushed it in place and laid in the epoxy. On top of the epoxy I set in some scraps of fiberglass to help secure it.

The blade is now removed from the boat and the epoxy is curing.

I checked it with a laser and it seamed straight but round rangers don't give you anything square to go by.

After an hour in 80 degree temp the epoxy is starting to set. I checked the bottom of the keel opening and cleaned up excess epoxy. Then once again installed the keel and checked alignment. Hopefully it will cure in the current position. I'll pull the keel tomorrow after the epoxy has hardened (if I can) and test it one more time. I can fine tune the alignment when I drill and secure the keel bolt.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Jul 14, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:37 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Looks good to me.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:34 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report July 15, 2012

Yo Commodores,

The idea of having a happy meal at the start of the day sure puts a smile on your face. I was all set, everything packed in the truck the night before. I jumped in and noticed the key was all the way in and set on accessories. I turned it the other direction and zip, nada, zilch, Nothing.... Oh no....

I sent text messages to Tim, Rick Harvey, and Garth to let them know to have breakfast without me. I got in my Hunter and pulled out the battery charger and setup on the truck. Went back in the house and made my own happy meal wondering if I could get the truck started in a while.

Went back out in an hour and with the charger still going turned the key. Everything worked. I took a drive for 5 miles came back home and turned off the ignition and crossed my fingers. It fired back up again. So at 11am I was off to the pond.

Rick, Garth, Tim, two folks that haven't joined yet and walking up was Dennis with Megan and Ryan. And our returning pal Richard. Yippee.... He had his cast off but another blue temporary cast. I was glad to see everyone as I turned off the truck still wondering if it would start again at the end of the day.

I setup a Vic and handed it off to Megan. The guys were all sailing Vics. I brought out Garths ODOM and Tim and Garth worked to replace the sheeting lines on it and install a new battery. This is the first time Garth has had the boat to sail.

For show and tell was the RG65 still being constructed. The common question was that keel is way too long. The keel will be cut and I will use part of it for the rudder.

Richard asked about when our Picnic is going to be held. Tim suggested the first weekend after Labor day. Which sounds good to me lets plan on it. I think that makes it September 9th.

Dennis had his J boat with a broken boom. He did a great job getting it going again another field repair. I didn't watch but he was going to cut his jib sail too.

Megan and Ryan had a good time sailing Vics. Tim and Garth got the ODOM going and Garth dropped it in for the first time. Looks like it is going to be quick. I setup my Red 180 ODOM to give him something to compare it too.

He had an issue with leehelm on Starboard and weather helm on Port. We tried to make sure his side stay tension was equal. And he later found his keel rudder alignment was a bit off.

Dennis wants to build a Vic sail for his new 36j with a more squared head on the main. Will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

It was great day at the pond. I was glad to see folks and more boats on the water. I was also very happy at 4pm when my truck started again. Whew...

Garth said something about sailing during the week. Rick may be taking off this week for a bit to head back East. Travel safely Rick.

I'm was happy with getting my keel box in my rg. Now to move that project forward. Richard said he is getting ready to start working on his Canterbury J again.

The pond was back filled to the brim today Bill...

As one of my friends would say "This hobby is to good not to share it."

Rick