SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:22 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Micro Magic

Henk,

Post a picture of your Micro Magic. It is a very popular boat and it is one that has not sailed on our pond.

If we ever get building we should have a bunch of RG65's and we have Footies. The common small boat here are Victorias at 30".

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:18 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
Henk,

Post a picture of your Micro Magic. It is a very popular boat and it is one that has not sailed on our pond.

If we ever get building we should have a bunch of RG65's and we have Footies. The common small boat here are Victorias at 30".

Rick
Well, we can't have that, no MM here. Here are pictures of my 2 boats. My recent second hand purchase, bought as backup and to take along in my car:

And my first MM, also second hand, a retired competition boat, hence the number on the sails:

And some videos to wrap it up:

Sailing with the Micro Magic last weekend in may 2012 (longer clip, HD) (2 min 24 sec)

http://vimeo.com/45024654
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:48 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Mm

Perfect Henk!

Thanks for posting the pictures and videos of your good looking Micro Magics. They look like fun boats.

Rick
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:41 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Quote:

Rick
Yes. Once I get settled in I'm looking forward to building an RG65 too!
CUJ0 is offline Find More Posts by CUJ0
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:55 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,927 Posts
Quote:
Perfect Henk!

Thanks for posting the pictures and videos of your good looking Micro Magics. They look like fun boats.

Rick
You're welcome! The MM is indeed a fun boat. Due to being so light, they can sail in a slight breeze, but also can handle stronger winds, especially with reduced sail area rigging. The lead bulb provides excellent counter weight. Acceleration is also very good, again due to the light weight. And it's also a very convenient boat to take along, no need to remove the mast during transportation. In fact, the all white one, which I regularly take along with me in the car, only needs to be switched on to be ready for action.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:37 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Gook looking boats Henk, nice video to.
That's a beautiful pond you sail on.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:48 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
Gook looking boats Henk, nice video to.
That's a beautiful pond you sail on.
Thanks. Can't take credit for building these boats though, both are second hand. But I did do a little modification and restauration on both, and made them into what these are today.

As for the pond, it's located in a new block of our town, a series of small moats runs through the entire residential area, and these are connected to a couple of ponds. One pond is hard to reach by car, as it's it the middle of a little park, the other is quite small and it's hard to reach the water. The 3rd one is just right, it's easy to access the shore, decent size, and almost always a little breeze. Hardly any "seaweed" although on the downwind shore there are a few patches, just on the spot where the winds usually are the strongest. So it's a game of getting the most from sailing downwind, but turning in time to avoid getting strangled in the seaweed. Most of the times I win, sometimes the seaweed...

But despite this small drawback, I am happy having this location.

Edit: here's the HD version of a video I posted earlier:

Second time I took my second Micro Magic to my favorite pond (HD version) (2 min 9 sec)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jul 04, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:52 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Servo

Yo!

Bob took apart a Hitec servo so he could modify it to 180 degrees and had a heck of a time getting the motor out of the case. Apparently they use hot glue on the motor and it glues it to the plastic sleeve. He had to use some heat and force, it popped and now he can add the resistors.

Thanks for the photos Bob!

Rick
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:31 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,927 Posts
Small boat, big water:

This nice spot showed on my map as I was traveling from one town to another. Shame it's too far from my home to go for a quick sail, apart from that it seems near perfect.

Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:29 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
Sweet little boat Henk!
Looks like it would be a perfect shoe in for our pond!! Ron

PS I kinda wonder if it would hold up to Canadian Geese landings, though? Also, the Carp would have a ball bouncing it around. LOL
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:14 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report July 8, 2012

Yo Commodores!

Garth Tim and I parked over by the pond and walked back to the Holiday Inn for breakfast. I was expecting to see a table full of scruffy old sailors waiting to talk about twist in the sail and boom kickers and the like. Maybe the Tehachipies might have come to visit.

But in stead we just head a bunch of teen age girls in shorts. We all ordered our Happy Meals and sat back and talked about Guns and Hunting and Yuba City and other exotic places.

Tim said he had his spreaders built for his new mast but needs to drill in a hole for the brass rod that makes the base for the spreaders on the Canterbury J. Garth has all his stuff moved into his new place almost.

We headed over to the pond and setup our Vics. Garth brought out a very fancy Fly rod and gave a demo of fly fishing. You can see Garth has practiced this art form. He had a couple of very nice rods too.

We ended up putting the Vics in the water and got down to brass tacks. After getting the boats sort of tuned up we did our short course racing. Every once in a while breaking it up with a run to the top of the lake and back.

Good fun. With some bumper boat stuff going on but all with good intent and no damage. Everyone had a chance to win and everyone had a chance to start the next race. Some times starting had no advantage at all as the winds were tricky and the first boat on the course could easily sail into a hole and then wait for the others to catch up.

We sailed until 4pm and the temperatures got a bit warm. Glad the A/C in the club house works.

Tim said he was going to come over tomorrow and we will work in the shop a bit. Maybe Garth will come down. We'll see.

I had talked to Ruthie this last week via email. She said she and Al were fine and we may see Al one of these Sundays and something about getting her knee fixed. Our buddy Richard should be getting his cast off this week and we could see his return soon. Rick H went missing I was thinking he might be getting something fixed too. Good luck with those that are getting stuff fixed.

We had a good day on the water. Hunting the wind today kept me on my toes and I was cooked by the end of the day.

Lets do it again!!

Rick
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:58 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckgnx View Post
Sweet little boat Henk!
Looks like it would be a perfect shoe in for our pond!! Ron

PS I kinda wonder if it would hold up to Canadian Geese landings, though? Also, the Carp would have a ball bouncing it around. LOL
I hope I can depend on it's speed to stay safe.

But last friday there was much bigger threat to my white sail MM. I had plenty of water inside the hull! First I thought it was the result of a couple of nose diving moments, when a gust catches you off guard, and the nose gets pushed into the water, allowing water to be pushed inside through the hole for the jib sheeting. So I added a little modification quite common for MM boats, a small, hollow tube, raising from that hole about 1 cm, so water flooding the deck can't get in, and during a nose dive, there is also about 0 water coming in, as long as the nose dive is not permanent.

But the next day, after just 15 minutes, again too much water in the hull for comfort. And this time no nose dives. "Back to the lab" it was, I filled a little inflatable kid's rowing boat with water, to act as test basin. I first tested the right side where deck and hull were joined. No water coming in. Then the rear section, fearing it might be the rudder, which is hard to fix with the deck in place. Well, water came in fast, and at first it did appear to be the rudder, but as i held the boat with the bow facing up, and dried the area around the rudder tube, i found the water was coming in (and now out) through the stern itself. On the place where deck and hull are joined at the stern, there was a section of a few mm where the glue had given way, and both parts were slightly seperated. This could have resulted in radio shutting down, and the boat then going down as well!

After letting the spot of the leak dry, the area was sanded and cleaned, then thin, industrial quality CA glue was applied, which runs into the seam between deck and stern, filling small cracks and making it safe again. After this is fully cured, I'll do another "stern submersion test" to see if it worked. I think the previous owner had the same issue before he sold his boat, he did mention it was getting some water inside, and on the right side of the stern you could see a similar repair had been done as I performed just now, as there was excess glue on that section of the seam. The left side, where the leak was, was so cleany glued, it almost looked like it was never glued at all. But it was, but perhaps too little glue used to save a few grams on weight. The previous owner told me the boat was built for speed, and therefore built lightly. Nothing wrong with that, as long as everything's water tight. A sinking boat won't be fast at all...
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:44 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
I really wanted to come down today, I charged my radio last night.
I've been having neck pain the last couple of days, and didn't feel like getting out of the house.

I made some brass keel nuts for Victoria's if anyone needs a spare let me know.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:09 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Don, Henk

Nice investigation work on your leak Henk. If it leaks again you might consider 30 min epoxy. If it is underwater the Epoxy might hold up better than the CA.

Don your boat is coming along. I lost that keel nut once and Rob and I found that a spark plug nut had the same thread. Any port in a storm.

Sure was fun on the water yesterday. Garth is coming right along and I think his boat is getting faster. I've been taking Chili Pepper instead of my old boat so I can keep up better.

Rick
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:33 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,927 Posts
Quote:
Nice investigation work on your leak Henk. If it leaks again you might consider 30 min epoxy. If it is underwater the Epoxy might hold up better than the CA.

Rick
Thanks. A slower curing epoxy did cross my mind, but I'm beginning to think that small section was never glued at all, perhaps an air bubble was trapped on the joint area for a few mm when deck and hull were glued. This might have been pressed together so at first no gap was visible and little or no water came through. The previous owner did mention the boat didn't always stay fully dry and the boat is quite new, so the defect was probably present right from the start...

Then the unglued section of about a cm seperated a little, we're talking about coming apart a mm at most, but being on or just below the waterline when listed to port, this was enough to have water seeping in.

The CA glue I used is a special type, Bison Industrial. According to it's specs it should be just as resistant to water as epoxy based glues. So far I haven't had any issues with it, more MM sailors use this for deck/hull joints with success.

Edit: tested the repair today, the glue had filled the small gap seamlessly. Bond appears strong, like both parts are one now. Testing for leaks in my testing tub (an inflatable rubber boat, made for small children, filled with water) revealed no water entering the hull, even after having the stern submerged for a minute or longer. Also tested the joint between port hull and port deck, since I didn't check that after I found the leak in the stern, and found that port side was also fully water tight.

Now it's only a matter of waiting for the wind to die down a little, as it's now a big 4, even into the 5 beaufort, which is a bit too much for a 500 mm boat with A-rig.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jul 09, 2012 at 12:52 PM.