SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:16 AM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
Yo Commodores!

With a little work and presto now it is adjustable and removable. We added a snap hook to the transom and put a bowsie then plastic coated stainless steel back stay up to the crane. We added snap hooks to the main and jib booms so the sheets can be disconnected. We took off a unique device that attached to the deck and adjusted the Cunningham and converted that into a bowsie that worked on the mast. We added a deck cleat tie down as a tie down for a new jib boom leash and removed the snap swivel on the jib boom and replaced that with a knot on the boom swivel connector. Tada...

Rick
Fairwind900:

I laughed when I read "we added" or "we took" in your above post when it was YOU that did all of the work to my Victoria. The boat sails great! Thank you, FW900.

On another note, Tim is a big America's Cup fan. . .

The highlight of an already great day was when Tim gave me a framed print of the Intrepid ('67 & '70 AC) w/ CG helicopter in the background as a housewarming gift. Thank you, Tim.

I'm looking forward to a closer commute to Plaza Pond on Sunday mornings. . .A great bunch of guys all of you are!
CUJ0 is offline Find More Posts by CUJ0
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:15 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
We the people

Hi Garth,

You're right... We just wanted to be able to take off your mast and sails so we could get it into the back of we's Suburban.

Nice catch on the gift from Tim. I should have snapped a picture of it. Tim does a great job of finding the right photo and doing the framing / mat work. Way to go mr Tim...

Rick H wrote that it was a record temp yesterday and he missed sailing. And Dave was thinking we wouldn't have been at the pond being Fathers day or he would have come out. I should have done a pre-pond report on Thursday.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Last edited by Fairwind900; Jun 18, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:00 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,367 Posts
Yesterday was Sunday?
I Slept In.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:34 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report June 24, 2012

Yo Commodores!

Garth, Tim, Rick showed up about the same time this morning and we all order the same happy meal. We chowed down and talked about boats and things that had gone on the past week. Garth is all packed up and ready to move into his new place. Rick's cut is healing and he talking about his trip back east and his great purchase on Ebay a China 1 meter boat. Tim said he has been letting his paint cure on his Canterbury J for a week now. He wants it to be set before putting it back in a cradle.

Garth said he needs to bring his Cushman Eagle back from Vegas. I could imagine it would get great mileage. But all the bugs in the teeth might be chewy, and the freeway speeds of 80 might be hard to achieve. Glad he has moved it will make it much easier on him.

At the pond we got to see Rick's China boat. It looked just like an ETNZ only much less expensive. Even hat the pivot just below the mast crane to carry the larger head on the sail. Very nice. The deck is painted Yellow with a dragon decal.

Garth brought me a new ODOM sail from Las Vegas. Thanks Garth.

Rick sailed his Fairwind, Garth Tim and I sailed our Vics. We had cool temps and good wind today probably upper 70s and wind from 5-7 most the day. At the end of the day we did a bunch of short course racing. Our short course is one lap on a short course that takes probably 5 min to complete. The last boat back starts the next race so you need to stay on your toes as soon as one boat cross the finish line the last boat can take off any time.

With the short course it is very even and everyone gets a chance at hitting the finish line and one mistake on the course can cost dearly. But we can get so many races in in a short period of time that we don't dwell on the last race and try and keep on top of things for the next start.

We didn't head for home until 5ish. We had some walkups and shared our boats and explained the hobby.

What fun.

Charge up your boat and we will see ya next week at the pond.

Rick
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:37 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Joined Apr 2004
7,367 Posts
I like the Dragon Boat.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:14 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Dragon waggon

Yo Don,

I liked the Dragon boat too! The decal looks very nice on the side.

Rick M
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:24 PM
Z0Z
Jack of the Dust
47.46N 122.11W +282 Seattle
Joined May 2010
116 Posts
I like that old Vic.
Z0Z is offline Find More Posts by Z0Z
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:15 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
The Red Vic

Hi Jack,

Yeah I like my old Vic too. It has a Futaba 3802 servo for the sail sheet control along with a standard 3003 servo for the rudder. The sails I made and they are not paneled but seam to hold a good shape. The sail arm is bohemian too it was made from a broken plastic ruler. The deck hardware is from Orchard and a Radio Shack power switch. It has the original aluminum mast with a side to side bend in it that adds some flair when inspecting it up close. If this boat comes in first I know I have done something right with my sail trim or my thumbs. At the pond it is known as the Red boat, but the only red on it is the corner patches on the sails.

The old Vic has performed well over the years. It always seams to earn a spot in the back of my Suburban when Sunday rolls around and has made many a trip to the pond since 2000. I also have an old ODOM that seams to have called Shotgun for another spot in the back. I have a new Vic and a new ODOM in the shop but the old ones keep getting in the truck first. Must be a seniority system.

Rick
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:09 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report July 1 2012

Yo Commodores!

Welcome to July! Rick, Garth and I checked in at the Holiday Inn at 9:30 and ordered the usual. We put the breakfast on Tim's tab, thanks Tim. I'm sure Richard will help out with the next round in two weeks when his arm heals.

Last week at breakfast Garth and I swapped credit cards accidentally. Funny how we both bought stuff on the others cards and no one noticed. I even showed a clerk Garths picture on the back of the card as I made the purchase. No problem.. Scary... So before putting the card in my wallet I made sure I had my picture on the back of the card, it was mine.

Megan and Dennis joined us at the pond to round out the crew for the day. Megan sailed my Vic. Garth super tuned his Vic. Dennis setup and sailed his J36 and showed us his progress on building a keel fin on his modified J. With the rudder not combined with the keel maybe it can't be called a J. But it looked like it would be fun to sail. Rick worked on getting new servos mounted in his Vic and replaced his control arm that went missing. Not may people come to the pond with a complete in the box spare kit for their boat.

I did some short course racing with Garth and he won the first three races. I'm going to let him tune my boat next time. I pulled the AA alkaline batteries out of my boat. They were at 1.1 volts each normally they read 1.6v when fresh and I pull them at 1.3v. I changed the jib sheet attachment point untwisted my jib topping lift and was able to improve on my boat speed with one more fine tune. Whewww....

We all enjoyed the good wind in the 5-8 range today, and the heat wasn't too bad for the first of July. The pond water level was down about 6" but it didn't hurt the Vic's.

When Rick got his Vic back on the water we had a good time getting in a bunch of short course racing. At the end of the day Rick and I got in a full course run and it was over pretty quickly with good air over the entire course.

I noticed something wrong with my boom vang at the end of the day. See if you can spot it in the photos. Remember kids mix your epoxy well.

I had a great time sailing. It was fun doing the short course races and getting to chat with everyone. I'm ready to go again.

Charge up your batteries and we will see ya at the pond.

Rick
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:27 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Joined Apr 2004
7,367 Posts
"Whats wrong"

You broke it good.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:06 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
"Whats wrong"

You broke it good.
No, there's still something attached, when it's "broken good" it should have been severed...

Btw, that power switch on the deck, is that water-proof? When a gust makes the bow dive into the water, that section is sure to get wet.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:14 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Solo

Hi

Your right Solo, when it is Good and Broken maybe splinters and broken parts not just epoxy that didn't get mixed well.

Good eye, and catch on the deck power switch. The switch on the deck is not water proof. If water got in it could cause the switch to stay on. But of course while out sailing it isn't a big issue to me if the switch stays on.

I have a boat that has the same switch and it has been out in all kind of weather water on the deck, water in the hull, heck water on the sails... The switch on it hasn't failed yet. We usually sail in fresh water, but it has even been out in the Pacific Ocean...

I have some water proof switches, that I use, but I'm not sure if they are really necessary.

What's your thinking on the subject? I have never had a switch go bad. I have had corrosion in the battery boxes but not a problem with power switches. Has anyone else?

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Jul 02, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:34 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,586 Posts
So you are only running one wire through the switch, either the pos or neg one? In that case it won't cause a short, although corrosion could render it unreliable in the long term, and it could fail on the water. On my larger sailing boat, around 1 meter, I use a special rubber cover that you can screw on the switch instead of the regular thin nut. So like this:

For a little money a little added safety, I wouldn't go without.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:31 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Switch

Thanks Solo.

I think you are right in that the rubber boot would help keep water from going directly down the toggle switch. And paying a bit extra wouldn't hurt. Even with the boot water could still get under the boot and to the switch but the rubber would slow it down. I actually have the same rubber booted switches on a couple of my IOM's and I have a few in reserve for a couple of other boats.

I just went out and pulled a switch (non booted) out of another one of my Vics (the Red boat) that has been sailing our pond most weekends year round for the past 12 years and checked it for problems. It looks fine and read good on my volt ohm meter for resistance. I'm not saying that it would never have problems, just saying that one is still good after 12 years.

One of our pals Rob probably does you and I one better in that he takes the switch out of the circuit and plugs directly into the Rx. That is too much trouble for me, but it would eliminate any issue with the switch ever causing the problem.

For me rubber booted switch, no rubber booted switch or no switch at all, as long as you take your boat and go sailing.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Jul 03, 2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:05 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
For me rubber booted switch, no rubber booted switch or no switch at all, as long as you take your boat and go sailing.

Rick
True, very true. I bought myself a second Micro Magic to take along in the car, to get more time on the water.

Personally I prefer a switch, being able to activate an de-activate the boat without having to open the hatch is very convenient.I take it from the car, switch on TX and boat, function check and away we go!

Greetings, Henk