HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:12 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,340 Posts
Nice report, Star 45 is a beautiful boat.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
879 Posts
Pre-pond report June 10 2012

Yo,

Brad contacted me during the week about a new group that may start up and asking what boat would work for them. He was thinking some are not builders and wanted something under $150 ready to sail. I'm thinking they would be better off if one of them enjoys building and going with a Victoria as the club boat. They apparently have a community pond big enough to sail.

Our friend Richard may be out of commission for a while. Sorry Richard. Hope we see him at the pond. Last week he showed me his mast and rigging for his new Cj boat.

Tim sent a picture of his J boat hull all painted and it looks great in a White bottom and Black top. He did a nice job with a Black lacquer finish on his hatch too. Now to get the servos in and build the mast and standing rigging.

Garth is getting ready to move and dropped off a couple more boats yesterday for me to hold onto a new ODOM (for him) and a Victoria. He said he raced his Vic last week with some tweaks and did well in several races. Way to go Garth! He also showed me a couple of his rc helicopters that fit in a briefcase and flew like rockets, very impressive.

I marked out where to cut the keel slot in my round ranger and cut a helicopter blade head off to see how it looks. The 550 size blade has support on both edges of the blade and a fairly stiff foam center. I'll have to carve out some of the foam so I can insert a threaded rod.

I put a Vic and a Seawind in the back of the truck. I have Garths Vic I'll bring with me today so he can sail it along with his Seawind.

We have been sailing full scale boats too. Marc and Tyler went out yesterday. Rich H and his grandson are thinking of going out on the Omega. Bob Cree and Adam need to get their Ace 14 wet. Maybe I get my grandson to crew with me this summer.

Okay truck is packed and I'm about ready to head for breakfast then sailing.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,585 Posts
That Star is beautifull
Schrott is online now Find More Posts by Schrott
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:53 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
879 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report June 10, 2012

Yo Commodores!

It took us a bit longer to get seated at breakfast. The hotel had a wedding party with 250 guest and they must have all wanted to eat at the same time. No problem... Tim Rick H and Garth rounded out the breakfast crew.

Garth said he birthday was the 9th but he is new and he can buy next time. It was close enough for me to call it my birthday celebration. We talked about how Richard missed out but he probably looks very sporting with a blue sling for his arm. Get better quick Richard, Tish was wondering where you were.

It took a bit before a soccer game got out and then parking was a snap. Tim brought out for show and tell his brand new Canterbury J sporting nice paint job. Very nice work Mr Tim. I had him set it on a trash can so I could grab a picture, but he wouldn't let me keep it.

I brought out Garths Victoria for him all charged up and a Vic and a Seawind to sail and Garth had his Seawind. Tim had his Voyager II and his Vic. And Rick brought his trusty Fairwind. I had forgotten to bring Garths Vics hatch oops.

The day started with light wind and we enjoyed sailing and tuning for the light air. We talked Garth into moving his mast back so he could get rid of some lea helm.

The day went quickly and in the afternoon around 3pm Rick had to leave and we did some short course racing with our Victorias. The wind picked up and it was great to rip around the pond. Of course we had to change our rig settings for stronger air.

I think everyone took turns coming in first and last. At our pond when you come in last you get to start the next race when every your ready and everyone follows you to the mark. Tim show how soon that could be after the end of the mark. A good lesson for Garth.

We didn't put the boats away until 5:15 that made for a full day of hanging out with friends and playing with boats on the water.

We will sail Fathers day but I'm thinking we should hang it up earlier in the day.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Jun 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:29 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Joined Apr 2004
7,340 Posts
Great pictures. If your going to throw that boat on the trashcan away, I will take it.

Ha,ha.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:23 AM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,585 Posts
I wish my trash would look that good
Schrott is online now Find More Posts by Schrott
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined May 2011
8 Posts
Great looking boat Tim . Call me when you put it in the water. I want to be there
selmarichard is offline Find More Posts by selmarichard
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hanford, CA
Joined Nov 2008
43 Posts
I will but with my work schedule it will be a couple of weeks still. You will be one of the first to know.
Tim
Odomtim is offline Find More Posts by Odomtim
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:42 AM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
Hey Tim,
Me second!!! Lion Heart is looking good!!!!!! I haven't touched mine. Hope to see you guys in a couple. Ron
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:11 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Joined Apr 2004
7,340 Posts
Me to, me to, me to.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:25 AM
Hanford, CA
Joined Nov 2008
43 Posts
when I get ready to sail Lionheart I will let the whole group know.
Odomtim is offline Find More Posts by Odomtim
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:33 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,850 Posts
I like the black paint on the Canterbury J.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:24 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
879 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report Fathers day June 17 2012

Yo Commodores!

Each year we get an introduction to Summer when it turns hot for a bit then goes back cooler then stays hot the rest of the summer. We had that warning hot day today at 103 at the pond.

Garth Tim and I met up for breakfast and talked about the week. Garth has a new home and thinks his old home is sold. Congratulations G on the upcoming move. The new house looks great.

At breakfast we talked about the modifications to Garths Victoria. Prior to this weekend his Mast, booms, and sails were permanent and couldn't be detached from the hull. That makes it tricky to transport.

With a little work and presto now it is adjustable and removable. We added a snap hook to the transom and put a bowsie then plastic coated stainless steel back stay up to the crane. We added snap hooks to the main and jib booms so the sheets can be disconnected. We took off a unique device that attached to the deck and adjusted the Cunningham and converted that into a bowsie that worked on the mast. We added a deck cleat tie down as a tie down for a new jib boom leash and removed the snap swivel on the jib boom and replaced that with a knot on the boom swivel connector. Tada...

Tim said he think he will add a topping lift to his Victoria for next week.

Today at the pond we were happy to sit under the club house fans and sail. Very laid back. With light air we had a good opportunity to practice setting up for light pressure.

We sailed and chatted until around 1 and then packed it in for the day.

We hope to see you next Sunday out at the pond and I hope everyone has a great Fathersday. I did!!!

Rick
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:05 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,850 Posts
It looks like you are sailing on ice. The winds must have been very light.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:52 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
879 Posts
Light air sailing

Yeah Ed...

There are times when it is like sailing on glass. You really have to stay focused when the air goes light, it also keeps you on your toes tuning for light air sailing. We had times when the wind was 4-5. We will have some big swings over the next two weeks as season tries to figure out that summer is setting in.

The water level was down today but I would think it will be back next week along with more of the guys.

Rick