SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2012, 08:27 AM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
Facebook has a like button, you press it if you like a post.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 12:33 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
We have a Facebook account called Sierra Model Yacht Club
at https://www.facebook.com/groups/70630688314/

We could use it more often.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old May 23, 2012, 03:09 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
We have a Facebook account called Sierra Model Yacht Club
at https://www.facebook.com/groups/70630688314/

We could use it more often.

Rick
Following on Facebook as well !!
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old May 26, 2012, 01:46 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Trying to make a keel box

I have made wooden keel boxes (keel trunks) but not one made from just fiberglass. I used the helicopter blade for the RG65 I'm using a 550 size. I covered it in brown shipping tape and then wrapped it with fiberglass. It was tough removing the blade from the first fiberglass wrap after it cured. On the second layer I removed the blade before the epoxy cured.
Last edited by Fairwind900; May 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old May 27, 2012, 01:53 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
I'm watching this build.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old May 27, 2012, 07:55 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report May 27 2012

Yo Commodores!

It was a good day to be alive. Memorial day weekend and we had four for breakfast, Richard, Tim, Garth and myself. Our buddy Rick didn't make it today. He and I have been sailing little and big boats each week and it was time for Rick to take a day off.

We sat around the table and caught up on things. Tim said he will be working next Sunday. But he brought the Marblehead that Rick H gave him ready to sail. Garth brought with him a Seawind to sail and in the car a Yamaha around the world boat. Richard said he didn't bring his Canterbury J today, dang.

After breakfast we headed over to the pond and my neighbor Henry joined us and so did Dennis. Dennis brought his J36 that had gotten some hangar rashes and he had temporary fixes on this booms.

Tim pulled out the big Marblehead boat and set it up to sail. The fresh white paint looked good and new supports under the deck. The sails are massive and meant for heavy weather.

It will take several trips to the pond with the boat to get it dialed in so it was a good time for Victorias and other boats to bug it. Especially with a new paint job. It was fun seeing the bow planes spray water as it went bow down.

The winds came up higher as the day went along starting out at about 3 and going to maybe 8 at times during the day. We went to setting up the rigging soft and later in the day much harder.

Dennis gave me a quart of polyester resin... Thanks Dennis. I showed the guys where I was with the keel trunks for the RG65's.

I didn't have good focus on my boat today when I went to help other folks, or taking video. A couple of times my boat hit the side. Ooops. Tim was thinking of his new boat.

Garth brought out his Yamaha around the world at the end, what a pretty boat. This is the first one to show up at our pond. It is about 38 5/8" long and about 10 1/2" wide shaped much like a Seawind but with a very wide transom. The bow looks like it is pinched flat. Garth was saying he wanted this to be a shop build project. And it is in the shop now.

It was a good day. I think we didn't leave until almost 4. Thanks everyone for another great day sailing.

Rick
Old May 27, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Nice writeup as usual, Rick. It was good seeing all of you folks again.

I'll be coming back in a couple of weeks.

I'm looking forward to seeing that RG65 on the water.
CUJ0 is offline Find More Posts by CUJ0
Old May 28, 2012, 01:00 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Great pictures & report, Marblehead looks beautiful on the water.
Old May 28, 2012, 01:21 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,073 Posts
What Marblehead??me no see,chinaman no make them.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old May 28, 2012, 03:06 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Video of Marblehead sailing

Short Video from yesterday.

Marblehead rc sailboat (1 min 25 sec)
Old May 28, 2012, 11:19 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Nice video.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:59 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Hunter 212

Yo,

It was time to get the full size boat ready for the water. This is a project because I need to rebuild the check list in my mind. Should be a fun day. I have the life lines reattached and the mast up. Now I need to wait a bit for the shade trees shade to cover the boat so I can do the rest of the pre-season work.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; May 29, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:24 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Nice work.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:56 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report June 3, 2012

Pre Pond report..

Boats are loaded in the truck. Yesterday I was expecting stronger wind than I see now. So have ODOM loaded and trusty Vic I may toss in a J36 this morning.

Talked to Richard yesterday and he has been working on his Canterbury J. He was working on getting the mast and sails attached. Said he wasn't happy with the hull paint yet, and needed to get the water line. He was thinking about the distance between the booms and deck and if the main and jib boom should be the same.

I haven't touched my RG65's this week nor Garths Yamaha around the world. Need to spend some time in the shop.

Garth called he will be by Saturday to drop off his Vic and his new ODOM for me to store while he moves into his new house. I was glad to hear from him. Good some more boats to look at.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Jun 03, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:34 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
SMYC Pond Report June 3, 2012

Yo Commodores,

Joining us this morning for breakfast was Tim, Rick and Richard. I wasn't expecting Tim but glad he could make it. We talked about full scale sailing for a while then went back to Rc stuff.

Richard was making a fair lead for his Canterbury J and had broken a couple of bits off in his brass bolts. He asked me if I would use my metal lathe to drill it out. But after we talked about it. He has decided to go with a nylon bolt and use the brass nut on the deck. I think that will be so much cleaner and easier.

We had a great time talking and the time flew. We got over to the pond and Tim had his newish Marblehead that he got from Rick Harvey and set it up so Rick could see it sail. Rick sailed his Green Vic. I pulled out my old Vic and Rick sailed his Fairwind.

Then Ron L from Fresno showed up with his brand new Star 45 with original hardware. Wow what a nice build job. The deck was Mahogany and the parts were brass. He had a probar winch in it that he said had 4 electrical switches in it with a standard servo controlling the winch. We set it up and he launched it as everyone watched.

It did great. The bow was up and the transom just kissed the water. Everything was bit stiff on the boat and we didn't spend a bunch of time tuning it. Everyone just wanted to watch it sail.

It was fun to see it and the Marblehead on the water at the same time. Richard and my Vics provided interference for them and did our best to keep up.

We had some kids come up and we turned over our transmitters to them. They did a good job staying out of trouble.

As the winds came up I grabbed my ODOM to see if I could keep pace with the bigger boats. The ODOM does a good job of that being lighter and it generally favors more wind.

Richard showed me his new mast, sails and booms and rigging for his Canterbury J. Richard is getting very close to getting his boat on the water. I think Ron, Tim and Rick H are going to have to step up their builds in order to keep pace.

It was 3pm by the time we folded up our chairs. Ron L left his folding chair and I had Rick H take it home as they both live in the same city.

It was a good day. Charge up your batteries and we will see you at the pond on Sunday.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Jun 03, 2012 at 06:42 PM.