HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined May 2008
20 Posts
If you really want a Canterbury, Rick, I could send mine your way. If I get back into things, I'll order another one. I'm thinking of letting Don have the Voyager II. He was showing an interest in it at the pond the last time he he was there. I'll still have the ODOM to finish and the Soling 50 to redo. I'm planning to take most of my airplanes up to Castle Airbase next month at the giant scale fly in. Hopefully I can clear some of my "stock" and get some much needed cash for the family.
RickHarvey is offline Find More Posts by RickHarvey
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:14 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,367 Posts
Great "Non-Pond" report.

How do I look with hair?
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:24 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Joined Apr 2004
7,367 Posts
We had a good time at the pond today.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:57 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Canterbury J

Rick, lets talk about it.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:17 AM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
Hey Rick,
I'm looking for an airplane. See ya Thursday. Ron
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:56 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
SMYC Pond Report April 12, 2012

Yo Commodores!

My neighbor Henry joined us today as we went to breakfast and met up with Richard and Tim at the Holiday Inn. Henry has never sailed but was willing to try. He blended right into the group.

Tim had brought his J book and brought his new Cj main boom for show and tell. Tim made his Cj boom out of the mast from a Voyager II. Worked perfectly.

After we chowed down we headed over to the pond where our buddy Ron was sailing Suzie Q. What a great looking Vic.

Richard brought out his CJ and showed us how he installed his scuppers we cut at the shop I think Monday. Richard did a nice job of cleaning up the wood with a small file. Every time I see his deck I'm more impressed.

Rick joined us after a bit and that made up the sailing group for the day, Henry, Tim, Richard, Ron, Rick and I. We had a bit of rain. So someone made the motion we take a donation to fix the club house roof.

Ron showed us how to How to Heave To on an RC boat. He let his sails all the way out and pushed his rudder sail trim all the way over. The boat then sails in a circle and if everyone stays clear the boat, it stays out of trouble and off the rocks.

Two Fairwinds, and Three Vics sailed today, both in the light air and later in the stiff breeze. It was a good day to get your sails washed.

I mentioned to the guys I had my eyes on a 15' Potter. Not sure if the deal will work but I'll let ya know.

Richards Green Vic has been having a problem with a twitchy rudder servo that he has been fighting for months. We switched his rudder from channel 1 to channel 3 on the rx and the jitters seamed to go away. Who knows??

We sailed until about 2:30 and called it a day. We will be back out Sunday.

Charge up your batteries and we will see ya at the pond.

Rick
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:43 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Joined Apr 2004
7,367 Posts
Richards Cj is looking great.
Great pictures. Sailing with umbrellas, you guys are funny.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,590 Posts
I love the colour of Richards deck, what kinde wood is that.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:31 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Richards Deck

I think Richard said African Purple Heart Wood.

http://www.exoticwoodgroup.com/order_purpleheart.htm
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:22 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
I read somewhere years ago that the wood will turn more purple the more it is in the sun and that it is harder than oak. I inspected something made out of it around the same time and it was a beautiful wood.

Glad to see that you guys did not let a little rain stop you.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:27 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
Hey Guys,
Thanks again for the "Sanity Check"! Was great sailing with you all again. Sorry I had to leave so early. Hopefully next time, I'll bring Wayne, and Bob, and we can make a day of it. I always enjoy seeing all the talent and craftsmanship displayed. Again, what a great group, even if I did miss breakfast. Next time, I'll also remember to bring the correct radio!! Till next Sail day. Ron
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:00 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,856 Posts
The planking on the C-J looks good. One of the things that makes the deck look to scale is the use of thin planks opposed to wide planks.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:37 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report April 15, 2012

Yo Commodores!

The umbrellas and boats were all packed in the truck along with 2 Vics, a J36 and an ODOM. We were ready. I had Richards Vic set to go back to him, hopefully fixed from it's chattering servos.

Tim and Rick joined me for breakfast and we talked about Canterbury J deck and mast and measurements. Apparently reading the class rules takes some concentration. Something about 3 mast bands and a curved deck and flat deck offset.

At the business meeting we had a report from the Sub Committee of the General Committee on building and construction. The Committee reported their recommendation by doing a power point presentation and advised us not to repair the roof on the club house as the weather report didn't call for rain next week. The report was accepted as read and will be held over until after the sub committee on remote control rocking chairs reports at the August meeting.

The meeting was adjourned and we headed to the pond.

At the pond Tim pulled out his Fairwind, I grabbed my J36 and Rick worked on his Victoria that had an out of control servo problem.

The out of control servo problem was interesting. He swapped out everything in the boat other than the servos, three transmitters, three rx, two different battery packs but the problems stayed. We tried unplugging the sail servo and the problem persisted on the rudder and we did the opposite. How fun..... The servos would thrash as soon as they got power from the battery, the servo arm would swing wildly. But don't tell anyone about Ricks Victoria Upgrade, or soon everyone will be trying to modify their boats this way.

I wanted to learn more about this performance modifications and asked Rick if I could take his boat home to examine it. He had said something about maybe plugging in the power backwards. See servo photos photos below...

Rick tested Richards Victoria today to make sure it was stable. Richard, Rick reported that everything worked. I think your set.

Dennis came out with his new winged keel J36 and new rudder. We set it on top of the original boat for comparison. It appears to have a bit more beam besides the other mods. I'm ready to have it on the water.

Tim got a fun hull from Rick. A Marblehead, nice going Rick. It will be fun to see what Tim does with it.

We had turtles and carp in the water today along with birds. So we had an obstacle course going. The Carp followed around the Orange Fairwind like it was a mother ship and attacked the Victoria causing it to rise up out of the water. Glad we didn't have Footys out today.

It was a good day on the pond, I'm ready to do it again. Charge up your batteries and we will see ya next week.

Rick
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:59 AM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Greetings:

I'm planning on making the drive out to Visalia this Sunday. It looks like its 9:30 am at the Holiday Inn at table 24. Wow, I haven't been inside that place for at least 20+ years!

I'm really looking forward to meeting you guys. I'm planning on bringing the Seawind on 2.4 gigs.
CUJ0 is offline Find More Posts by CUJ0
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:22 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Joined Apr 2004
7,367 Posts
It's nice to have a real report, great pictures.
I will try to make it next Sunday to.