HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:14 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report Oct 19, 2008

Yo Commodores

Fresh baked cookies was Herb excuse for being the fourth one to the pond. Bill, Al, and I forgave him almost instantly after we had our second cookie. It was one of those mornings where standing around in the parking lot eating a warm cookie was just the right thing to do. We caught up on a bit of Sea Stories (gossip) while we chomped away. Tim and Rick Harvey's cookies weren't as warm but we still didn't want Herb to toss the cooler cookies to the ducks.

Al had his new Black sails on his Northwind 36 and I got to check it over. He hand crafted a boom vang that was very nice out of that black Delrin that Don had given us. I noticed that Dons boat sported a version of a boom vang he crafted out of the Delrin too. Very cool guys.

The West side of the pond was filled with goose down on top of the water and it passed the center of the pond a couple of times during the day. On the water sailing we had Bill's Seawind. Don's Voyager, and Herbs Victoria, along with my Vic. Tim had his Vic out and an ODOM. Rick H had his ODOM. Al had his Vic and his Northwind 36.

During one of the quiet moments of the club house I asked the guys to speak up and say a few nice words about our biddies that didn't make it to the pond today, but there instead was just a moment of silence. Well maybe it was nicer than saying something bad. I would have tried to defend you but you have to come help.

I heard Al and Don haggling over an extra set of 36/600 sails that Al has. The bargaining began: Al said $55. Don said how about I build you a mast crane for your boat. Then Al said okay and $55. I'm not sure where it ended up but it sounded to me like it was going to involve $55. I figured I would wait a week and up my offer to $20.

Bill was sailing along with his Seawind when his boat just came to a stop. Cool... The pond was trying to give his boat a handicap of a plastic bag filled with water.

Don got Wing and Wing a couple of times and yelled "Who's got the camera". Of course Don had a camera right next to him, but...

I snapped a picture of Herb with his mast crane and Feather wind indicator. We had a couple of folks walk up. One guy with two large golden retrievers. One jumped in the water. That was kind of exciting. The other guy that came up said he was into r/c planes and had on that he had $7,000 into. I think we need to talk folks like that into the club. They might need a few boats.

It was a great day at the pond today. We were there from about 10 till 3 and the time just seamed to fly by.

Charge up your batteries and we will see ya next week.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:20 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
SMYC tugboat camera project

Yo..

A while back we tried adding a camera on top of one of our Atlantic Tugboats to capture water level video of some ODOM's playing on the water. Here are the results:

Sierra MYC Tugboat Camera (1 min 57 sec)

Rick
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:46 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
Jiff rg65

Yo Commodores,

Well I'm working on gluing up my Jiff RG65. I don't know how this will turn out. If it comes out too terrible I guess I will have a balsa ash tray. I built a lot of ash trays when I took shop in the 9th grade.

Rick
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:01 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,279 Posts
Looking good Rick,
I like your knife. You forgot to mention my new graphics, and how much faster they made my boat.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:04 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
SMYC graphics display

Did I tell you how great Don's Graphics are on his Voyager. I could hardly keep my eye off of the swirly blue lines of graphics last Sunday. Wow what a nice job.

Now maybe Don will tell us what he named his free range Python.

Rick
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:14 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900

Now maybe Don will tell us what he named his free range Python.

Rick
We had some new tracks today.
I named it Fread.

Don M.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:38 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
Askook

Okay I got a RG65 Askook off Ebay tonight. That should make 3 of them in the club and my Jiff will make 4. I put a bid in for two Askooks but lost one of them.

Rick
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:02 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,279 Posts
Well we took a vote, The snake is now named
Monty Python
Old Oct 26, 2008, 07:38 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
SMYC Pond Report Oct 26, 2008

Yo Commodores,

Herb and Manny were out on the pond early. I saw their boats sitting among the feathers on the West end of the pond. Rick Harvey and I arrived about the same time. Latter Mike, Kimberley, Cheyenne, Jeff came out.

Herb had his Yellow Fairwind. Manny from the Hannson Dam Irregulars had his V32. It was great sailing and talking with Manny and learning about his non-club. They have a surprise every time they sail as you can never tell what is going to show up at his pond. This is the pond that Ron visited and gave a report on a while back. Manny has been on the boards at Rcgroup and has left comments. We were glad to have him join us today and it was fun sailing with him. He said he gets up our way about once a month visiting realtives.

Rick and I sailed ODOM's and I had out my Modom IOM. The IOM with the A rig was perfect for today. Everyone took turns sailing it. Rick and I talked about going over and visiting with the SLO club and Phil Adams on Nov 15. Rick H seamed fairly sure he would go. I had heard a few folks from our southern pond in Bakersfield might go too. That would be fun.

Mike pulled with Kimberly and Cheyenne his two daughters. They helped me sail my boats. Mike just bought a Victoria Friday I think and has already started to paint it. He has raced r/c cars and flown planes but has been interested in r/c sailing.

Herb said something about looking for a Lido 14. I told him if I found 2 I would let him know about the second one.

Jeff showed up later in the day on his way down from Rhymers. Graciela was in the car but she was hidding. Waylon hasn't come out to play yet. I know we are all waiting to hear about his arrival. I asked Jeff to give me a call when he shows up.

Manny said he has one of Dennis's Footys. I went wow! I have seen pictures of them but haven't seen one in person. I put in a bid for a Northwind 36 but didn't get it.

I brought out my Jiff rg65 to share. It isn't much to look at yet. The bottom hasn't been attached yet. I should get my Askook in sometime this week. Usually getting in a new boats forces me to build something that has been on the bench for a while. I re-attached my Victoria sails back on the boat. They strings had pulled themselves out of the luff and I put new strapping tape on and rebent the sails on.

Charge up those batteries and we will see ya at the pond.

Rick
Old Oct 26, 2008, 08:21 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,260 Posts
Have to give a big thanks for the warm welcome to the Ricks, Herb and Matt.
For letting me join them at Plaza Pond today. Enjoyed shooting the bull and sailing the pond. Next time I go up I will throw the footy in the truck.

Manny
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Oct 26, 2008, 08:32 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,144 Posts
I ain't never seen Manny without a tank top t-shirt on!

Was it cold up there? Send some of that cold down here.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 26, 2008, 08:38 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
Cold wind in Visalia

Yeah Kmot,

It was cold here. We were almost shivering earlier in the day as the temperature hovered around 78 but thankfully it warmed up to about 85. Manny had seen reports of gloves and jackets being required so he dress for our northern climate.

Rick
Old Oct 26, 2008, 09:30 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,279 Posts
Wow, I could have met one of the famous Irregulars.
Al came over to see the pond and look at my shop. Al twisted my arm and made me buy a set of Chuck Black sales for my Sanibel.
Sorry I missed you Manny.

Don M.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 08:58 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,279 Posts
Visalia wind speed.
Thanks to Dan L.

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KVIS&state=CA
Old Nov 02, 2008, 08:30 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
Yo Commodores,

Did I ever tell you the story of 3 Askooks and a Jiff? Well maybe later then.

Thursday Al reported that the water in the pond was drained and it didn't look good for sailing today. Rick H had already suggested a work day in the shop. So the fall back position of a work day in the shop is what we took.

Herb and Tim were first to arrive. Herb brought rice crispy treats, thanks Herb. We started off by replacing the sheeting lines on Tim's boat and installing new Fairleads. Don showed up with his Askook and Voyager.

We looked over Herbs Victoria and new DX5e radio system. His sail servo was chattering and we tried to figure out why. I plugged the Servo into another radio at the shop and the servo worked fine, no chatter. We looked at antenna issues but that wasn't it. I plugged the Servo into his Elevator slot on his reciever and the chatter went away. It had to do with the throttle on the rx unit. Don suggested it might have a failsafe issue. Where we left the issue is Herb was going to reset the Spektrum Dx5e to have the midpoint on the throttle to be the failsafe home. When he does that we will see if the problem goes away.

We also looked at things we might want to fix on Herbs Vic. I think he is all for starting over from scratch with a new boat. So I should be getting a new Victoria to work on soon.

Rick Harvey came in with his Askook and some plans that he had printed out. It gave us time to chat about the RG65's and how we might build them. Rick had a couple extra sets of printed up plans for it and gave those to Don and I. That should help a bunch in clearing up some build issues.

Mike came by with a Victoria and three of his daughters. We set the kids up a table in the breeze way and they were happy as clam playing Monopoly.

As a group we looked over Mikes new Victoria and made suggestions. He did a good job of building his first boat. Rick H gave him a tx and rx for it and I think he will be ready to ply the waters of Plaza Park, when we get some. We made some suggestions about his stock mast and sails and he will be going back and working on those.

It was a good day in the shoppe. Lots of good company and fun chatter. From time to time some work got done. Oh Stan, Ron and Manny, the guys brought your name up. Don't worry I defended all of you.

Charge up your batteries and I'll see ya at the pond.

Rick