SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2011, 06:33 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
885 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report July 3, 2011

Yo Commodores!

It is good to be back. I spent the last couple of weeks away and have missed sailing and my friends. I walked into the Holiday Inn at 9:30 today and there was Bob, and Ron, Richard and Rick waiting. Coffee was out and the waitress had memorized everyone's order, as it should be.

Rick told us his new $125 ODOM spar had arrived at his house last week after only a one year delay. Now he will feel the pressure to build the boat. Richard completed his Canterbury J deck and talked about how he built it and the issues he faced. Bob and Ron had hosted Bill Young up at their lake in Tehachapi. They talked about how he used Styrofoam on the deck and bungee cords to secure his boats for travel being held tight to the bottom of a shelf. Rick gave Bob some scale life vest for his Ace 14. I mentioned that Rob had lost an Uncle this week. Richard had brought a scroll saw for me. Thank you Richard.

The conversation went quickly and so did our happy meal and it was time to sail. As we got to the pond Commodore Don and Commodore Al were sitting on the front porch of the club house sailing a Voyager I and a Vic. It was great seeing Al and Don again.

Show and tell commenced. Don had a unique antique car that I didn't get the story behind. Maybe Don will chime in and tell us about it. The life vest fit the Ace 14. Rick showed off his expensive new ODOM mast. The show stopper was Richards Canterbury J newly finished deck. What a nice job. White bass wood strips around the hard wood planks. Turned out great.

Commodore Dennis joined us with his original 36J, he reported he shaved 2oz out of the hull and it performed better than ever. Rick brought out and worked on his Fairwind. Bob sailed his Ace 14, Ron sailed Susie Q, Richard sailed his White and Green Vic and I had my trusty old Vic.

Bob showed me his new crank shaft for his steam engine he is building. Very nice work.

At the end of the day we had some short course races between the Vics. What fun. The difference in the race were primarily decided by the one who guessed which tack to take off the mark for the return run, the Island or back to the club house. Several of the races you could have tossed a blanket over the three boats at the end. Good fun!

Tim and Richard said they might come by my shop on Tuesday. Will be nice to see Tim's new paint job on his Voyager II. Richard wants to modify his rigging some on the Vic.

Even with the temperatures hitting 102 the club house a/c left us in good stead. Charge up your batteries and we will see ya at the pond.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Last edited by Fairwind900; Jul 08, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:28 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,856 Posts
The deck on Richards Canterbury J is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it on the water.

I started a thread called Canterbury J Discussion, maybe you could talk Richard into posting a picture of the deck and tell us what wood he used and how he planked it. It would be very helpful to other builders.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:22 PM
Joined Jul 2008
31 Posts
I love trailer for the Ace 14. Best boat stand I've ever seen!
Marc
vslslr is offline Find More Posts by vslslr
Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:25 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
It was good to see Old Friends, I had a good time.
Rick, my car is a Mamod Steam Roadster. Everyone was drooling over Richards Canterbury J. It was the first time I saw Bob's Ace 14, very nice build.

More pictures, and a video. The video is a little shakey, I'm not use to my new camera.

Cap'n Don
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:35 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Plaza Park Pond02 (2 min 11 sec)
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:06 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
885 Posts
I enjoyed the pictures and the video Don! Nice work!

Rick
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:35 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
885 Posts
Sierra MYC Shop day report July 6, 2011

Yo!

Richard Stafford and Tim came by today to show what they have been working on chat about boats. Richard arrived first and we worked on his Green/White Vic. We improved the way the Jib was attached and talked about some modifications he could make on his main sail attachment to the mast and crane.

Richard brought in his Canterbury J and Rick H's Cj and we talked about how he might setup his sheeting system. Nothing major but it is good to talk about stuff before you go drilling into his new hand planked deck. We may build him some through hulls for his sheeting made of Brass if he can come up with the blanks stock.

Most of the time was spent just BSing and talking about boats. Not a bad way to spend a hot July day. The shop A/C was going and brought the room to a comfortable temperature for an Eskimo.

Tim brought in his newly painted Voyager II. He found some lettering that was perfect for the Dennis Conner - Liberty paint job. He had put fiberglass and epoxy support around his keel, hopefully it will keep it from being a fishbowl when he sails it Sunday.

The guys took off around 2pm. Sure was fun to see the boats and sit and visit with friends.

Rick
Old Jul 05, 2011, 07:20 PM
Joined May 2008
20 Posts
I am getting Richard signed up on the CJ thread

Ed,

I told Richard about the new thread for the CJ and asked if I could post some pictures that I took on July 3. The shop photos of his deck look better than most of mine, but I'll still put some out there. I told him I would forward the email sent to me about the new thread. He did a wonderful job on the deck and I'm trying to figure out how I can make mine look as good. If you didn't already know, this is the boat that was originally purchased by Ron Burgess of Tehacapi, CA. It is hull #516. I took a few pictures with the hull number visible for reference.
RickHarvey is offline Find More Posts by RickHarvey
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:47 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,856 Posts
Rick,

Looking forward to viewing the pictures or Richards CJ. I didn't realize you guys had 2 CJ's in your club. Maybe some day I can come up there and sail with you guys, maybe even have a happy meal.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jul 05, 2011, 10:59 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
885 Posts
Cjs

Yo Ed,

We don't have two Canterbury J's, we have three. Maybe someday four. You are always welcome to join us for a Happy Meal. With Dennis having a mold for the 36" J type boat we should have a bunch of them over time too.

Rick M
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:53 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Great pictures, nice shop.
I like the paint job on Tim's Voyager II, it's not yellow. Ha, ha.

Off topic for Ron,
Here is the video, it's a Rockslide RS10.

4Wheeling at Sligers Pond (1 min 29 sec)
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:10 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Looks like you guys are having a lot of fun there!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 06, 2011, 01:34 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Great reports, pictures and video as always. Nice selection of boats and cars. Looks like a nice time was had by all.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:35 AM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,590 Posts
That deck is just outstanding, what a fantastic job.
Schrott is online now Find More Posts by Schrott
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:57 AM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
Hey Don,
WAAAAAYYY CCOOOOLLLL!!! We'll have to get a hold of Jeff, and I'll bring mine. Thanks, love the vid. Ron
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx