HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2011, 01:42 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
Seefest

The sail area on an ODOM I think is 600 sq in and the stock sail on the ETNZ is 744 sq in. The Voyager II is 694 sq in of sail area. So going to the ODOM rig we are actually putting up less sail area but at a higher aspect.

To me less tender and quicker.

I think it will do well with the lighter 10mm mast.

Rick
600 square inches is its measured area. An "A" rig for an Odom or US1M has at least 750+ square inches of sail area including the 2" and 1.5" roach of main and jib respectively. The ETNZ doesn't have any roach, but has a fat head main so I'm sure the 744 includes all sail area.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 10:29 AM
Visalia, CA
Joined Sep 2010
65 Posts
It's been awile but here are some pictures of the new 36/600 "J". I started with 1 1/2 lbs of BBs and built a dam for balancing later. The hull got damaged and I had to repair it before going on.
obses4sail is offline Find More Posts by obses4sail
Old May 12, 2011, 07:21 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report May 12, 2011

Yo Commodores!

What a great day to sail. My brother-in-law Steve came with me today to enjoy my hobby. When we got to the Holiday Inn, Rick and Richard were waiting. After we put in our order the Tehachipi tribe joined us, Commodores Ron, Bob and Wayne. So it was 7 for breakfast. We talked about the ODOM and the possibility of new mast being delivered. Commodore Bob said he just got a new Mill for his shop. Wayne said he was going to be taking off on another motor cycle trip. Ron said he was half moved in to his new place and he might stay that way for a long time. Moving is such a joy. Commodore Rick had a new orange RX for $13 that works with his DX 6i DSM2. I may have to find a DX 6i to buy. It was hard to hear all the conversations as they were in stereo most of the time.

After we headed to the pond for Show and Tell. Richard had his Canterbury J deck 1/2 planked and it was a job to behold with Mahogany and basswood. Everyone wanted to know all the details. What fun. Bob had his Ace 14 and showed how he water proofed it a hatch with an inlaid rubber grommet. I brought out two IOM's a Tinto and a MODOM.

A Nirvana, Victoria, 2 IOM's, 2 Fairwinds, and and Ace 14, later another Vic would join in the fun, Chili Pepper.

Ron saw a small ball floating on the water and tossed it out and we had a great time playing tag with it and seeing if we could push the ball to the shore closest to the club house. It takes good timing to get in and hit the ball without being T boned by someone else with the same intention. Mostly we free sailed.

Commodore Bob had two removable keels with him today one that weighed a few ounces and another that may have weight 2 pounds. He was saying somewhere in the middle between the two could be perfect.

Later in the day as the winds grew we did short course racing. Unfortunately some of us had to get our of our chairs because we were too excited or we wanted to know what our boat was doing as it went behind a tree. Transmitters were swapped and we got a chance to sail other boats.

The temperatures got into the 80s and it felt great. After most of the folks headed home Steve and I stayed and had long course races with the IOM's. It was the first time I have had both of these IOM's out on the water at the same time in a long time.

I had an email from Bill Young tonight when I got home he said he would be out sailing on June 12 and 19. He said "I am bringing a Canterbury J and an ODOM."

Okay charge up your batteries and we will see ya at the pond.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old May 12, 2011, 08:48 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Nice report, the deck on the Canterbury J is looking excellent. I wish I had planked mine, but I was concerned about the weight.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old May 12, 2011, 11:47 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Richard's Canterbury J is looking great.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old May 18, 2011, 10:46 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Another great day.

The J's planking is superb!
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old May 19, 2011, 03:06 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Sierra MYC mud flat Report 5/19/2011

Yo Commodores!

Okay Tim, Rick and I were there at the Holiday Inn at 9:30 sharpish... They had a mental health convention going on and it seamed right for our club.

Tim said he is starting his new job tonight and has a shot of going days if things go right but for now he is second shift and seams very happy getting off rotating shift work.

Rick Harvey's birthday is tomorrow and I hope he has a great birthday and maybe he could even get an ODOM mast in the mail.

Richard had written and said he was a bit under the weather, get well Richard.

Now the pond.... it was empty. I'm thinking if they had the fishing derby last Sunday the guys were taking more water than their limit home and probably some fish too.

We hung out for a while at the pond after our happy meal and tried to talk Tim into launching our boats for us. No luck....

If you are out and about and drive by the pond let us know if you see the water level higher.

This song seamed to call to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=VBx8j2IKpcQ

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; May 19, 2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old May 19, 2011, 06:49 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Well that's a sad sight for sore eyes!

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old May 19, 2011, 11:01 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Wow!!!
Just turn the pump on, that's what I did today.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:29 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
turn the pump on

Yeah, But is the chili on the stove....
Old May 20, 2011, 10:51 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
No chili, but your welcome to come over.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:22 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
No Chili

Commodore Don called, he said if someone is making Chili bring him some, he will provide the pond.

Now where did I put that can of chili????

Rick
Old May 21, 2011, 12:15 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Okay it's not the end of the world, but we still don't have water.

May 21, 2011 - post rapture

I drove out to Plaza Park today and no water yet. But I was happy to see two new openings in the barrier around the park. Looks like they are starting at the East end of the road and working West.

The openings they put in won't be much help to us yet, but soon maybe now that they have started.

I noticed one guy fishing he went to the car and stepped over the barrier instead of walking a couple of feet to use the new opening. Hmmm. Youngster!!!

Rick
Old May 21, 2011, 04:00 PM
United States, CA, Cambria
Joined Nov 2006
41 Posts
SLO invite

Greetings,
If you all are having a case of itchy thumbs I would suggest you come over to the coast (San Luis Obispo) and sail at our venue (Laguna Lake). We have plenty of water and sail every Tuesday & Thursday mornings from about 8:30 to 11:30. We always welcome visitors. In fact we just held the Region 6 CR914 championships and here is a link to some photos of that event to see how are lake is filled:
https://picasaweb.google.com/pcadams...1Championship#
Come on over if you can I know you will enjoy the sailing.
Phil Adams
philadams is offline Find More Posts by philadams
Old May 26, 2011, 11:11 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
875 Posts
Water

Commodores,

Tim and I made it over to be at our buddy Robs Mums memorial service tonight in Hanford and it was good to see and spend some time Rob. Seams like it has been years and maybe it has. The memorial gave folks a chance to visit with Robs family and remember his mom. There was a table with photos of her and a video montage of her life. We got to sit with Rob and had a meal with him. I know all our hearts go out to him and his family. I hope he can break away in the near future and visit the pond again.

On the way back from Hanford I stopped in to check on the pond. Guess what, we have water.... 19" at the end and 13" on the side and rising. I'm guessing we could sail now but I think it will be perfect by Sunday. What do you say?

I want to thank everyone that came to our aid and offered the use of their pond, especially Commodore Don and Phil.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; May 26, 2011 at 11:28 PM.