~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
Done, thanks for the suggestion Dick.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Rich -- may also want to post to Windpower site, as I don't know if Jess visits here. The Windpower site was original to ODOM class and expanded to other classes under then ODOM Secretary Bill Mullica.

http://www.rcsailtalk.com/
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2011, 12:17 PM
I Can Crash Anything
Yuma,Az / Westport,Wa
Joined Jul 2008
39 Posts
Odom

Also, for those interested, there is an ODOM group on Yahoo groups. "odomonemeter" The group is not being used, but it is still active. I posted some pictures to see if it was alive, and they did go in.

pic, our ODOMs (and others)

Dave
ICCA is offline Find More Posts by ICCA
Old May 06, 2011, 12:55 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
Shop photos

Hi Dave,

Thanks for sharing the shop photo. We share many of the same boats. Some the exact same color. I love to see photos of different shops. It is great fun for me to see what others collect and keep.

I don't have a soling 1 meter, and what is the red/white boat in the background with the tall mast?

Rick
Old May 06, 2011, 03:12 PM
ralph
Antelope, CA 95843
Joined May 2004
131 Posts
Fairwind900 Your ETNZ ODOM sails Post• #778: I have just bought a month ago, from “Tower Hobbies Scratch & Dent”, a China Team 1 meter (same hull as ENTZ). Only thing missing was the mast & rigging. My plan is to convert this rig to a US1M. I like your idea of using the 10 mm carbon tube. Could you tell me where you plan to buy your carbon tubes at? Would you also tell me:
The length of the mast you would be using for the ODOM/US1M sails.
Size and length of the main & jib boom.
Could you also suggest what type of Mast Mount, mast base or Mast Step to use.
Thanks Ralph ODOM#146 Sacramento CA
ralphhager is offline Find More Posts by ralphhager
Old May 06, 2011, 03:34 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
Seefest,

I have attached photos of my new ETNZ and a new ODOM hull for comparison. You can see by the photo the ETNZ is much narrower boat and because of the hull shape differences is faster in light air when using the same mast/sails as the ODOM. I didn't modify the keel or ballast for the ETNZ it is out of the box without the keel wing.

I find the ETNZ to be very well behaved sailing and a pleasure, I say this while owning two ODOMs, so it isn't that I don't like ODOMs.

If the wind is under 15 and I wanted to sail fast between the two boats I would grab the ETNZ. If the wind were over 20 I would want to grab a ODOM to take to the pond. I trust the ODOM in heavier air to take the abuse and the wider beam I think would stand up down wind better.

You know how when heading down wind in heavy air and the mast wants to drive the bow underwater. I think the ODOM would stand up better.

I'm building a 10mm carbon tube mast for the ETNZ that I think will be much lighter and reduce the weight aloft. Should stand up more and be quicker yet.

I enjoy this short video of my red/white 180 in heavy air sailing with Rick Harvey's ODOM. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvMvYsczaA4

The ODOM is having trouble right now not being able to deliver boats because of the lack of their golf club sized mast. I think the solution would be to go to a 10mm carbon tube in the rules and grandfather in the older mast. Cheap, strong, reliable and most important available carbon tubes seams like a good solution to me.

Rick
Thats interesting. I was wondering how tender it was with the stock keel bulb. I have seen video of ETNZ sailing(stock rig), and they looked VERY tender to me with the plastic shot filled bulb. It looks great, glad it sails great as well.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old May 06, 2011, 03:46 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
Hi Ralph,

We recently picked up some 10mm carbon tubes. I see some at Goodwinds.com 10mm 60" for $16.49 a stick. Hang-em High Kits has them at $14 10mm 60" (http://ecom.citystar.com/hang-em-hig...SPARS+-+Carbon)

I think when we bought ours they were closer to $10 a stick. We cut ours to match the ODOM class rules at 56 1/2" +_ 1/8". We made aluminum cranes from 1/8" aluminum stock you can get at Orchard Supply and used the same material for the mast step. I cut some aluminum rod and made a mast insert for the mast foot. I would go with 8 to 6mm carbon tubes for the booms. The 8mm looks more proportional with the 10mm mast but 6mm works. The Jib boom on my ODOM is 14 1/2" and the main boom is 13".

Hope that helps.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphhager View Post
Fairwind900 Your ETNZ ODOM sails Post• #778: I have just bought a month ago, from “Tower Hobbies Scratch & Dent”, a China Team 1 meter (same hull as ENTZ). Only thing missing was the mast & rigging. My plan is to convert this rig to a US1M. I like your idea of using the 10 mm carbon tube. Could you tell me where you plan to buy your carbon tubes at? Would you also tell me:
The length of the mast you would be using for the ODOM/US1M sails.
Size and length of the main & jib boom.
Could you also suggest what type of Mast Mount, mast base or Mast Step to use.
Thanks Ralph ODOM#146 Sacramento CA
Old May 06, 2011, 04:02 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
sail area

Seefest

The sail area on an ODOM I think is 600 sq in and the stock sail on the ETNZ is 744 sq in. The Voyager II is 694 sq in of sail area. So going to the ODOM rig we are actually putting up less sail area but at a higher aspect.

To me less tender and quicker.

I think it will do well with the lighter 10mm mast.

Rick
Old May 06, 2011, 04:58 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
680 Posts
Keep in mind that the 600sq in spec in the ODOM/US1M class rules does not include the area of the roach in either sail. Not sure how the sail area is calculated for the Voyager II/ETNZ/China Team boats.

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old May 06, 2011, 05:00 PM
I Can Crash Anything
Yuma,Az / Westport,Wa
Joined Jul 2008
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
Hi Dave,

Thanks for sharing the shop photo. We share many of the same boats. Some the exact same color. I love to see photos of different shops. It is great fun for me to see what others collect and keep.

I don't have a soling 1 meter, and what is the red/white boat in the background with the tall mast?

Rick
Rick,

The red & wht boat is an old Andy Littlejohn hull. I purchased it from a fellow in San Diego a few years ago. As you can see, the sails were marked US1M #133, but, it was actually about 41.5" long. I would guess that in its day it was something else. I shortened it to 1m, made new sails, and it sails very well. I am also posting a picture of my ETNZ (now don't laugh at the rig, it was my first attempt at making a rig). Surprisingly, ET sails well with that silly rig !!
ICCA is offline Find More Posts by ICCA
Old May 06, 2011, 05:37 PM
ralph
Antelope, CA 95843
Joined May 2004
131 Posts
Originally Posted by Fairwind900: We recently picked up some 10mm carbon tubes. I see some at Goodwinds.com 10mm 60" for $16.49 a stick. Hang-em High Kits has them at $14 10mm 60" I think when we bought ours they were closer to $10 a stick. We cut ours to match the ODOM class rules at 56 1/2" +_ 1/8". We made aluminum cranes from 1/8" aluminum stock you can get at Orchard Supply and used the same material for the mast step. I cut some aluminum rod and made a mast insert for the mast foot. I would go with 8 to 6mm carbon tubes for the booms. The 8mm looks more proportional with the 10mm mast but 6mm works. The Jib boom on my ODOM is 14 1/2" and the main boom is 13".

Rick thanks, for helping me out; I have 2 ODOM and the one China Team and I will rig all of them up with my new carbon masts. The China Team I will order sails from Rod Carr, as soon as I register it as an US1M and get my sail numbers. I order my carbon masts from: http://www.goodwinds.com/index.shtml, see brlow…..

Carbon: Pultruded Carbon Tubes: 020037 Pultruded Carbon Tubing: Description O.D.": .3940";Length: 60";I.D.": 0.288";O.D.mm: 10.00mm;Wt./gm: 79 gm (oversize/weight item). They were $16.49ea, I bought 3 ea for $49.47.
Carbon: Pultruded Carbon Tubes: 020013 Pultruded Carbon Tubing: Description O.D.": .3150";Length: 40";I.D.": 0.236";O.D.mm: 8.00mm;Wt./gm: 33.3 gm They were $6.49, I bought 2 ea for $12.98.

Thanks again Ralph [ODOM #146]
Old May 06, 2011, 06:02 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
sail area

Thank you Kevin for chiming in with spec info.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
Keep in mind that the 600sq in spec in the ODOM/US1M class rules does not include the area of the roach in either sail. Not sure how the sail area is calculated for the Voyager II/ETNZ/China Team boats.

Kevin
Old May 06, 2011, 08:03 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
Only ODOM approved mast can be used for AMYA class racing.

Hi Ralph,

I hope you understand that only ODOM approved mast are allowed if you enter an AMYA ODOM class race and the 10mm carbon tube mast is not approved.

I personally use ODOM mast on my ODOMs and I will 10mm on the ETNZ.

I did write the ODOM class secretary about a rule change today and in reply he said Adrian is expecting to get mast in this week from a US maker. He is telling me that they should be shipping soon.

Rick

[B]Rick thanks, for helping me out; I have 2 ODOM and the one China Team and I will rig all of them up with my new carbon masts. The China Team I will order sails from Rod Carr, as soon as I register it as an US1M and get my sail numbers. I order my carbon masts from: http://www.goodwinds.com/index.shtml, see brlow…..
Old May 06, 2011, 11:59 PM
ralph
Antelope, CA 95843
Joined May 2004
131 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Post #790: Hi Ralph, I hope you understand that only ODOM approved mast are allowed if you enter an AMYA ODOM class race and the 10mm carbon tube mast is not approved. I personally use ODOM mast on my ODOMs and I will 10mm on the ETNZ.

Rick no problem; here in Sacramento CA they no longer race ODOM only US1M & Seawinds in the one meter class. The extra 10 mm carbon pole will go in to my spare locker for other projected. But I will use one set on my China Team being converted to a US1M.
Thanks again Ralph (soon to be a China Team US1M)
Old May 07, 2011, 10:48 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,310 Posts
My friend Carl made a video of last Sunday.

Sailing At Capt'n Don's.wmv (3 min 53 sec)
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old May 07, 2011, 11:03 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
Don

Carl did a nice job with the video, thanks for sharing, and thanks for a great day at your pond.

Rick