HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:00 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Voyager II sail arm

Yo,

Tim had said he wanted to buy a metal sail arm for his Voyager. I figured today I would go ahead and make Matt's sail arm as I did for my ETNZ. I like the idea of using Lexan for a sail arm because you don't need to add jewelry inside the boat like blocks. The lexan is smooth and you have little friction on the sail sheet. (I'm old and I can have my own opinion on this kind of stuff).

John had given me some Lexan a while back and I used that. Thanks John!!! I used a nickle to copy the arch for the end of the arms. Drilled out the lexan and cut off two of the arms of the 815 servo arm to support the sail arm.

Some Lexan 3/4" by 6", a band saw, a drill press, a 1" belt sander, a spare nickel, two screws and Tada. I should probably ease the edges on the sheeting holes yet but other than that I think the below deck work on this Voyager is done.

If I double purchase the sail sheet this 6" sail arm should give me 12" of travel on the boom. That should do it.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:18 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
Looks good Rick, I made mine out of aluminum.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:23 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Sail servo arm

Yo Commodore Don!

My hat is off to you! I'm very impressed. I don't know any other Commodore of repute that can do what you do. None of them, none can work on a purple velor covered work bench and keep it neat.

I do like the way your sail arm turned out. Nice work! Your voyager with ODOM sails is doing great out on the pond.

At the end of the day everything we work hard at improving on our boats, and the advantage psychologically that gives us can be lost in a race on a single bad tack or a false header. But it is fun tinkering in the shop.

Rick
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:16 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report April 17, 2011

Yo Commodores!

Wow 80 degrees and 10-15mph winds is what they predicted today. Couldn't tell that as I pulled up to the Holiday Inn and watched Bill back in his dually extra long diesel truck into what could have been a compact slot. Good thing he has lots of practice with trucks.

Rick, Gus, Bill and I rounded out the breakfast crew. Rick informed us that he is again this month the number 1 on the list to get his ODOM mast when they come in. After discussing all the world events and chowing down on our Happy Meals we headed to the pond. It was a bit crowded at the club house so we setup at the West club house today and it worked out perfectly.

Dennis came along with Megan and a friend of hers and they took right to the sailing thing and had what to me looked like a good time.

Charlie showed up with his Sanibel. Then proceeded to gave us a cooking lesson on rudder servos. We watched his rudder servo go from spasmodic flinching to full on stroke and then it died in disgrace. We opened the hot plastic case and watched water drip out. Thanks to Rick and a servo he had in his Footy Charlie was back on the water and going. Nice going Rick.

Dennis brought out two J hulls #4 and #5. Rick bought the number 5 boat. We could end up with a good fleet of these 36/600 J's.. I sailed Dennis's original hull for a while today and it was good fun getting to learn the sailing characteristics of that hull form.

A family across the pond lost a plastic ball in the water and we had fun trying to herd it to shore. The kids came over and had a great time sailing our boats. Nice kids. They in turn invited us to join them for hotdogs and hamburgers. Very nice.

We spent the day sitting and chatting and having a good time. The winds came in and returned the temperatures were warm but not hot.

At the end of the day the nice family that shared their food with us had their car break down. I hung with them and waited for the tow truck then gave 4 of them a ride home to Lemoore. It was the least I could do with them being so kind.

Dennis said something about making another hull for the club maybe an RG65. Something to think about.

In two weeks Bill said we could have the folks with swords and costumes taking over the park. We might want to go with a Thursday sail that week.

Charge up the batteries and I'll see ya at the pond. By the by our gates still haven't been installed yet, but I'm ready.

Rick
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:22 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
Great pictures and report, I did yard work.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:43 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Commodore Don!

Yo Don,

What a mess. Now how do we get to the swing set?

Rick
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:07 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Great report.

You guys are really getting quite the nice variety of boats in your group.

Always nice to see the kids take an interest in the hobby.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:10 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Thanks SD RC.... I enjoy seeing kids try out the hobby.

Just saw this link on Facebook group http://radiosailingshop.com.au/
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:43 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
Rick,
You can play on the swing set now.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:45 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Thursday the new Sunday

Yo

We have Easter this Sunday, the following Sunday at Plaza Park is the Renaissance Faire, The County stocks the pond the beginning of May so we would find lots of fishing lines out on the weekends too.

I have written the club members and posted that we will be going to Thursday sailing as the primary sailing day. I'm not planning on a pond Report on Sundays but look for them Thursday night.

Rick
Old Apr 22, 2011, 05:06 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
Mast Foot for 10mm carbon tube

Yo,

I'm looking for advice from my machinist friends. I was turning aluminum rod today in hopes of making multiple mast feet for 10mm carbon tubes. My plan was to make 4 of these.

The plan for making one I have printed behind one of the Lathe Photos. I have a sample on the lathe in the foreground in that same picture.

The aluminum rod failed (broke) on the left hand side of the piece when I was working on the right trying to bring down the Pin part of the foot to 1/8" in diameter.

At this point I don't know if the aluminum broke because of heat and pressure or if it was a failing in this piece of aluminum. I ask this because I had never seen a powder looking core where it broke.

What do you think???

Rick
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:55 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,791 Posts
Rick,

The cutting tool you are using looks like the one used for cutting threads, it may have dug in too deep and snagged the aluminum bar . The foot I made for the Canterbury J is a solid aluminum rod turned down to the inside dimensions of the mast and is 1/2 inch long, and while it is in the lathe I drill it for a brass pin that will fit in the mast step. This setup is installed in the mast with epoxy.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Last edited by Ed Crowell; Apr 22, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:59 AM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
This is exactly what I made for my Infinity-54 mast heel but out of brass and shorter.
Great project you are doing, inspirational!
This is the best method for securing the mast.
Regards,
Giovanni
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Last edited by sunworksco; Apr 23, 2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 05:52 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
862 Posts
photos

Nice work guys, fun to see what others are doing with their boats. Nice soldering work Ed, you are going to make our 3 other Canterbury j guys jeaous! I've never sailed the Infinity 54, I wonder if there is room in the shop for one of those?

Ed what do you think of Dennis 36/600 size J boat??? Dennis, Rick, Me, and Al, have one so far. Commodore Don has the version that was made in Canada.

When those are built we should have eight J style boats in the club. Probably a few others I can see that some of the guys "need" one.

Rick
Old Apr 23, 2011, 07:37 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,791 Posts
Rick,

The 36/600 size J boats look great, its nice to have that many of the same size boats so you can race against each other. So far I will be the only one with a Canterbury J, but some other are considering building one.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell