SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:51 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
Is it legal

Archer, I'm not sure it is legal.

You would have to chase down the Marblehead rules and see what is an isn't legal. The boat belongs to one of our club members and he has only had it out to the pond a couple of times since he bought it. One of those project boats that you plan to get around to fixing.

This is the first r/c sailboat that I had seen with them.
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:00 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report Aug 31, 2008

Yo Commodores!

The temperature dropped, the wind came up and we had sailboats on the pond. Life is good.

Jeff, John, and Christian were at the pond when I got there. They had Meansis and were ready to sail. I pulled out a Victoria and John and Christian took turns with it. Herb came out with his Victoria and enjoyed the day with us. Everyone enjoyed the air. I have my IOM Modom with me and everyone got a shot at sailing it. It was almost too much air for the A suit I have on it. Meansis did well with the ODOM sail. The Vics had all the air they needed.

At one point the batteries ran down on my Victoria and I took out a bunch of water it had taken on. But with new batteries it was back out there washing it's sails.

Al and Ruthie came out for a bit. It was great to see them. They were all dressed up for a big day out on the town, Costco I think. They looked very dapper and spry.

Herb gave me an offer on the Mystery Fairwind. I told him that he offered too much and told him lower... He took the boat home to see if the "warden" will let him keep it. Hope so.

Jeff said he and John will have their Victoria ready in three weeks.

Charge up the batteries and catch ya at the pond.

Rick
Old Sep 01, 2008, 07:55 AM
A.J
Junior User
W.A Australia
Joined Jul 2007
35 Posts
Man do I wish we had something like this in Western Australia. There just simply isn't the interest over/down here.
A.J is offline Find More Posts by A.J
Old Sep 01, 2008, 12:39 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
Building a Club

Hi AJ,

I want to encourage you to start a club. Get a boat or two and start going to your favorite pond that has folks that drive by or come out for a picnic. When someone comes up hand them the controller. Print up some business cards with a club name, your email address and phone number. My business cards are just printed on plain paper, and are maybe 1/4" by 3" wide. I take old copies of tower hobbies or magazines with you to hand them so they know where they can buy a boat.

Picking a day of the week and showing up every week maybe the key. We tried it just showing up the first Sunday of the month and that didn't seem to do it here. Going to every week and being there a few hours over time I think helped a bunch. Folks can find you and will come back.

Our goal at first was centered on racing but we found over time that not everyone wants to race. So we are fairly casual about racing and try to focus on enjoyment. We still race but we have multiple classes of boats on the water.

We dropped some of those "business cards" off at the hobby story in town too just so they could direct their customers our way. You might talk to them about a club discount too. You can create a free Yahoo group site and put the Yahoo group web name on the business card too.

You can do it...
Rick
Old Sep 01, 2008, 11:52 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,310 Posts
AJ,

Listen to what Rick said. I found the SMYC by accident; I was going to a cabin fever show in Visalia and saw the sailboats on Plaza Pond. I had a RC sailboat and stopped by and talked to Rick about the club.
I joined the club and have been going to Plaza Pond for about two years now. We really have some good times there. Beware sailing is addictive.
I now have about 6 or 7 sailboats and a couple of tugs.

Don M.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 02, 2008, 02:29 AM
A.J
Junior User
W.A Australia
Joined Jul 2007
35 Posts
Thats wicked... Ill try and generate some intrest in my yacht club (for 1:1 scale yachts)
and see where it goes from there. theres a square jetty that goes the whole way around a part of the river (bicton baths to create a makeshift pond. If it isnt too busy we could sail in there, if not out the front of the yacht club would do nicely.
A.J is offline Find More Posts by A.J
Old Sep 07, 2008, 05:19 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report Sept 7, 2008

Yo Commodores!

Varoom to the pond in style.

How about them sailboat trailers. Bill White showed up today with his new trailer for the back of his Goldwing. WOW that was cool. Inside the trailer was a Fairwind and it looked like he had lots of room for scores of Footys too.

Herb and Don made it to the pond first and were sailing a Victoria and a Voyager. Don's Voyager was sporting a new set of Chuck Blacks ODOM sails. Don said he just purchased two suits of sails one for the Voyager and the other for his US 1 meter boat. They looked great and it enhanced the boats performance.

Herb reported he isn't going to be putting on the rails on his Fairwind, and has spent time rubbing out the paint job on his new boat. He will be ordering a set of sails for his Voyager.

Bill sailed his Fairwind and I sailed my ODOM. We discussed the picnic coming up on the 21'st a bit. Looks like things are still a go. And everyone is looking forward to the cooler weather.

Marc and Tyler came out later in the day and sailed their Footy and Snipe. They said they were out to the pond on Friday and ran the PT power boat. Marc said two trucks with park rangers came up but just sat and watched as the PT boat cruised the lake and they didn't say anything.

Marc and Tyler both enjoyed the boats from Ron the micro submarine and the power boat. I can't wait to see what they do with them. Marc said his Lido 14 is about ready to hit the water. They had to order a new axel for the trailer but that should be in shortly and they will be all set to go out.

It was a fun day at the pond. Charge up your batterys and we will see ya there.

Rick
Old Sep 07, 2008, 07:32 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
WOW! Man, did I ever pick the WRONG day to miss sailing at Plaza Park!!
Congrats Millertime on the sweet set of sails, I'll bet that made all the diffeance in the performance of that boat! I can't say enough about the Goldwing/Bushtec combo!!!! Way to go Bill. I came close to ridin up there, but knew the weather was just going to be to hot for the ride coming home, so I watched the NASCAR race instead. errrrrrrrrrr Well, better get going on the download of all the great pictures. Thanks for posting Millertime.
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx
Old Sep 08, 2008, 08:21 AM
United States, CA, Cambria
Joined Nov 2006
41 Posts
San Luis Obispo Model Yacht Club

Greetings,
I can tell by your posts you all are avid RC sailors. If any of you visit the central coast be sure and check out our lake. We sail every Tuesday and Thursday mornings starting around 9 or so. We have race markers permanently in place and all have CR 914's but anyone with any kind of boat is welcome. Our lake is called Laguna Lake and is sort of close to the Madonna Inn if any of your are familliar with it. More info about our club and directions to the lake can be found at: http://llmyc.spaces.live.com/
Hope to see you over here sometime.
Cheers,
Phil Adams CR914 #1346 "Makani"
philadams is offline Find More Posts by philadams
Old Sep 08, 2008, 08:49 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,310 Posts
Hi Phil,

Looks like a nice lake.
If we come over do we have to stay at the Madonna Inn?

Thanks
Don M.
Old Sep 08, 2008, 10:00 PM
United States, CA, Cambria
Joined Nov 2006
41 Posts
Don,
Heck no you don't have to stay at the Madonna Inn, there are lots of places to stay in San Luis Obispo and the surrounding area. However if you are interested in cake or pie at all, the restaurant there at the Madonna Inn might just be your Mecca.

I will send some more photos of the lake and racing there soon.
Phil
philadams is offline Find More Posts by philadams
Old Sep 08, 2008, 10:18 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
Rats, I thought you were gonna post pics of the cake and pie!! Do they have German Chocolate?
Old Sep 09, 2008, 09:15 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,310 Posts
Hey Ron,
We missed you at the pond Sunday, we had to pick on each other.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 10:37 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
I probably won't be able to make this coming Sunday either, as I have a race in Lindsay to run Saturday. We'll be running on carpet, so the whole setup on the truck will be differant. I'm planning on the BBQ though, wouldn't miss that!! Ron