HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:58 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,180 Posts
Same to you Rick, and all my sailing buddies.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:42 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,106 Posts
Merry Christmas !!

Manny
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Dec 25, 2010, 02:18 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
844 Posts
Commodore Don,

Noting like a lit Santa

bel
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Dec 25, 2010, 07:55 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
188 Posts
Good going Don,
Somehow this year got away from us and there were no decorated Tugs, or sailboats, so I'm glad at least one SMYC member carried on the spirit! I won't be at the Pond tomarrow either, but plan on visiting the Hanson Dam group on Thursday. I'll try and be nice and represent SMYC in a proper way. MERRY CHRISTMAS to all and here's to more sailing in 2011. Thanks again for the pic Don, and I think you need a "Bigger Pond". Ar,ar,ar,Ron
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx
Old Dec 26, 2010, 04:38 PM
Visalia, CA
Joined Sep 2010
65 Posts
Since I didn't make it out I thought I would post a few more picks.
obses4sail is offline Find More Posts by obses4sail
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:40 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
844 Posts
It is looking good Dennis. What did you use for sails, and what corner patch material did you use? Have you done a float test with the new sails on?

I feel like it has been forever since we have been to the pond. I'm ready to get back out there.

Rick
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:53 AM
Visalia, CA
Joined Sep 2010
65 Posts
I haven't put it back in the water yet, I know it will need more ballancing. The sails are fron some 3oz dacron I had and sail repair tape (I am still under $3) I was looking at it and thinking how it came from nothing, just stuff I had around.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:19 PM
Visalia, CA
Joined Sep 2010
65 Posts
Did my float test and it's still on the lines, but I need to adjust the mainsail and maybe add some more ballist (Thinking about a pound) How heavy are the battery packs?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:31 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
188 Posts
Unbelievable Dennis, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it. Did you plank the deck, or is that drawn on? I had Hans go ahead and put my deck on and I finnally got the right color stain on it, however I haven't figured out how to "Draw" the plank lines on. Well, you've got one good looking J boat on your hands and it looks like you will be the "First" on the pond with a working J boat. Hope to get back up there soon and get in some sailing. Happy New Year to all. I'll remember to get some pics from the Hanson Dam expedition!! Ron
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:33 PM
Visalia, CA
Joined Sep 2010
65 Posts
I used a compuss to draw the planks on the deck (used a scrap of door skin plywood) the stiching in the sails is from a black pen. Worked more on the sails today, with the float test, it barried the rail fast so I have been working on flatening the main.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:19 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
844 Posts
Sierra MYC Breakfast and Shop Report

Yo Commodores!

I had a Vic in the back of the truck as I headed to breakfast at 9:30 this morning. Gus, Richard and Tim were there with their breakfast bibs on and forks at the ready when I sat down.

It has been so long since we sailed and had a breakfast meeting it took us a while to remember the proper Roberts Rules of Order! Tim said it had been six weeks for him since we were on the pond. We shared stories about how Santa had treated us and everyone looked well even and happy to be out of the house.

We talked about how the Hobby Shop in town over on Whitendale was opening again under new ownership. When I talked with them they said they would start stocking a Victoria Thunder Tiger and would be glad to have a poster for our club in their window. Now we need to make one.

Tim said he was buying a new set of sails for his Fairwind and we talked about his order. Gus said he was interested in buying another boat and I gave him an offer he couldn't refuse. I sold him my America 3 so he could move up to a 1 meter boat.

After breakfast we went out side and the rain had stopped but it wasn't warm. I suggested we make this a shop day and we headed over to the shop.

Gus wanted to see the America 3 and check it out. So we set that up and he is now the proud owner. Richard brought in his new Neon Green Vic and we put it on the bench and sat around talking about how it was setup. Nice job Richard.

Richard had twisted some small wire and used that to attach the sails. It appeared to work great and the sails pivoted on the 6mm carbon mast easily. It is amazing what folks think of when building boats.

We wrapped up the shop time around 3pm. It was a good day with the heater on, rain outside and friends to talk to about sailboats. I know everyone is looking forward to getting our boats back on the water soon.

If anyone gets a wild hair and wants to sail before Sunday whistle up.

Charge up your batteries and we will see ya next week.

Rick
Old Jan 02, 2011, 09:21 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
188 Posts
Hi Guys,
I'm unable to reply on the e-mail, so will try here. We're at the Colorado river, enjoying life. Gonna head to Quarzite in a few days, so if this doesn't work, you won't get it??? We'll try again when we get there, or I'll just call Rick. Thanks for the Pon------shop report. Ron
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:47 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
844 Posts
Colorado and beyond!

Hi Ron,

Sorry your email didn't work but we got this message. What boats did you sail in the big river???

You need to keep us current and mind the current.

Rick
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:31 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,180 Posts
Great report Rick.
Ron we want pictures.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:40 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC