HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2010, 08:13 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
I don't believe this guy!!! Is this the boat we saw SUNDAY??? Dennis, your'e makin us look bad. The boat looks "Great", especially the ingeuinity you've shown putting it together on such a budget. Way to Go. Love the updates, please keep us posted. I still can't believe the craftsmanship, and talent that is in this club!! Bye the way, he hasn't posted, however, I hear that the Fairwind of Scott's is already in the process of becoming another color! You guys are awesome!!! Ron
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:38 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,856 Posts
Hi Guys,

I look forward to your post every week. Wish I lived closer so I could stop by and sail with you. I have been waiting for some of the guys in your group to launch there Canterbury J's. I just received my Canterbury J today from Hans Berger; the quality of the hull and his kit is fantastic. One of these days I will start a build log on it.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:32 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Visit

Ed,

I would love to see your Tug when you come visit. It would be nice to see our 5 J boats on the water with yours.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:33 PM
Visalia, CA
Joined Sep 2010
65 Posts
The cabin and cockpit is for access (still under $3)
obses4sail is offline Find More Posts by obses4sail
Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:46 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report Dec 12, 2010

Yo Commodores!

We are met up at the Holiday in at 9:30, okay I didn't get there till 9:32 but we met. Gus, Richard Tim and I had a great breakfast and talked about my friend Stan Ogden BMYC posting on a Moth sailboat Crash. We all decided that riding a Moth isn't in our future.

Crashes - Capsizing at the Gorge (9 min 12 sec)
!

We headed over to the pond about 10:30 or so. The pond was down yet again with only 8" of clearance on the side. We did have 16" plus at the point and could have launched but we didn't. Instead we stood around and talked sailboats. A day talking about boats isn't bad. One of our new members Matt pulled up with his first boat an Ebay purchased Kyosho Fortune 612. Matt had told us that he knew up front the rudder servo was bad but the boat was still a good buy and should get him on the water quickly. Matt intends to get a Vic when they start selling them again.

We worked with Matt and trouble shot his rudder servo. We wanted to make sure it was the servo and not a rx problem. He pulled the rx unit out and swapped the working sail arm plug with the servo plug. Yup the servo was still not working on a working rx connection. But it did give us an opportunity to check out the boat. We only have one other 612 in the club and Rob has it, and Rob always talked about how he liked the lines on the 612.

Matt headed from the pond over to the hobby shop to get a replacement servo. We will get to see it sail next week.

Last week Dennis recommended to Gus that Gus build a replacement keel for his Sanibel, one that was about 2" shorter in case the water is low. This week Gus showed up with a new 2" shorter keel and ballast. Nice going Gus! Gus used strips of lead instead of making a mold. A very different approach. He said he will fill it in and fair it if the balance is right.

I added an attached photo below. One picture is off a 1:1 scale boat. Do you know how it would be used?

Ron Tim got the book! About a month ago Ron and Susie stopped by our house and dropped off a book for Tim. The book had some great pictures and a write up about the early J boats. This was the first chance I had to get the book to him. Good choice Ron, Tim's eyes lit up when he saw some of the detailed pictures.

Scott I still have your Fairwind stand!

We didn't get to sail today, but it was great spending time with friends.

Charge up your batteries and see ya at the pond!

Rick
Old Dec 12, 2010, 06:22 PM
Visalia, CA
Joined Sep 2010
65 Posts
How about some plans for the Moth?
obses4sail is offline Find More Posts by obses4sail
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:40 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,357 Posts
Rick -

could be used for a few different things - hard to tell without seeing the entire connection. To left (in photo) it looks like the shackle is attached to a wire thimble - so could be multipart halyard, but doesn't make sense to run to a cam cleat.

It also could be a multipart mainsheet for a small high performance dinghy ( of sorts ) which would allow for the cleat design, and perhaps a wire mainsheet to reduce windage/weight. The Tornado was famous for having a wire mainsheet spliced to soft line for cleating.

Cheers, Dick

Ummm - might also work for an on-water adjustable forestay or side shrouds to allow mast rake fore/aft or mast tile side to side. Just another thought.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Last edited by Dick L.; Dec 12, 2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:25 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Great video, lmao.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:08 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
934 Posts
on that 1:1 photo
I half way agree with Dick, the 3 harken blocks with the white braid is a
very common set up for a mainsheet . but if that shackle is attached to
the thimble on the red line I would guess it is one half of a running back
stay set up of a meduim size boat.(on big boats the runners would go
right onto a winch , aft , port and strbd.)
you would never see a forestay or stays/shrouds a)in rope and b) with
a jam cleat like that to secure it.
oh , just occured to me it could also be the main boom topping lift off a
decent size boat.
one thing for sure-those blocks are worth some money !
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:09 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,357 Posts
Here is a photo of a mainsheet (and other lines) setup on a Formula 16 catamaran. These keep Harken, Ronstan and other block makers in business.

Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:11 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
It could also be the tackle used to raise and lower a mast.
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:13 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
It could also be the tackle used to raise and lower a mast.
Shackle at left attaches to forestay and rope loop at right goes to trailer drawbar or the like.
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:08 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Right On

Good guess k4, thats it. It is used with a Gin Pole to raise the mast on my boat. Dennis had given me some Red line to replace the white/blue stripe.

Glad to see Thorsail and Dick contribute to the conversation. I was looking for the drink holder on that Cat.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:01 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,357 Posts
When on a multihull - and on a broad reach in flat water and decent wind - just open your mouth and swallow as fast as you can - it can be like being hit with a fire hose.

Back in mid-1980's, Formula Supercat (20 foot x 12 foot beam) used to show photos of skipper and crew wearing skiing goggles to keep saltwater out of eyes.

For adult beverages - you are the first to get back in off the water so have best beach parking spot and first tot he beer and foods. No need for a cup holder - too busy using both hands (and feet) to sail !
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:24 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Yo Commodores!

To all those that have been following the adventures of the Plaza Park Sierra Model Yacht Club, I want to send out a special Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I hope Santa is very nice to all!

As one of my friends says "this hobby is to great not to share!"

Merry Christmas!

Rick