HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:31 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Rick,

I noticed on your Feb 3rd post you were sailing the 36" J with the Victoria Rig. How does she sail with that rig? I'm starting to work on my own 36" J & I'm thinking of useng the same size rig. Any suggestions(bigger, smaller, whatever). I've got 43" of mast available & I'm planning on about a 14" main boom. I think it'll come in at about 5lbs. total. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Erle

Here's my build-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=anoth+j+boat
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:09 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
J 36

Hi Erle,

I posted back to your thread saying the Vic rig works great on the J 36. I gave you some measurements off my boat. Wish you luck on your new pond/house.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Last edited by Fairwind900; Feb 13, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:32 AM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Thanks for the reply Rick! My measurements are very close to the ones you provided. I've started to do some work on her again & hope to have her done before too long. I'll be posting on my build thread.

BTW - I allways look forward to your SMYC updates on Sunday Interesting info. & pix.

Thanks again,

Erle
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:45 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Measurement differences

Erle,

Where did you place yours?

I'm thinking my fairlead for the jib could have been a smaller number. I like my mast step placement and don't think I would change it. The main Fairlead is good for me too. I like the Jib attachment point where it is also. I would be interested in which direction you went with yours.

Rick
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:30 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Rick,

Here's a comparison of your specs & my origional planned:
Yours Mine

Jib pivot 7 1/8------------------ 5 1/4
Jib FL 15 3/8-----------------12 1/2
Mast Step 16 7/8-----------------16
Mast FL 27 1/4---------------- 27

As you can see, they're pretty close. My jib pivot rack will accomodate either one- I'll make it about 3 1/2 " long. You thought the Jib FL could be shorter, so I'll leave mine alone. My mast step is set for the 27" but it will adjust forward or back with extra holes in the deck(pilot holes are allready in the king plank under the deck & the mast step).

Thanks for your help - particularly on the jib pivot- I probably wouldn't have allowed a far enough rear placement. It's has really been great getting help from you & others for this build.

Erle
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:53 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
J36

Hi Erle,

Your boat looks great, it is going to be fun to sail. Bring it over, we Sail each Sunday after breakfast. Always enjoy having another boat on the pond. Thanks for sharing information. You have a drive ahead of you. You might want to get an early start.

Rick
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:45 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Hi

What time and day do the group go out to the pond to sail?

Stu
StuSmith is offline Find More Posts by StuSmith
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:33 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Hi back at ya

Yo Stu,

We meet at 9:30 am at the Holiday Inn at the Visalia Airport which is next to the pond. We meet there so folks from out of town can relax after driving here and before the high pressure of rc sailboat cruising begins.

Depending on how the conversation goes (long or short) we head over to the pond about 10:30 or so. There is always room for another boat.

I know this week we have Leon from Modesto, and Gary from Merced joining us. Stu are you a friend of Leon's? Sometimes the guys from Tehachipi, South of us come in for a Sunday sail. I think Al is coming with his RG65.

Maybe Rick H will bring his Canterbury J so we can see the progress on his new wood planked deck, maybe?

Tim from Hanford sent me a photo this morning of his new jib on his Voyager. So I had to go out and put my ODOM 180 sails on my Tic Tac to have something new. The pressure and the pace.

The weather should be good. Come on and join us. Bring a lawn chair.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Feb 16, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:12 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
SMYC Pond Report Feb 17, 2013

Yo Commodores!

The truck was packed and the weather was going to be great for sailing 70 they said and sunny. I decided to go early to the pond. As I pulled up there was Al sailing his Northwind 36.

Al showed me his progress on his second RG 65 Jiff. Al does great work and it is always fun to look at his builds. He fashioned his keel and rudder from aluminum and shaped the metal with a hand rasp. His hull was done and had the keel box installed and his bow bumper was made with windshield sealant. Everything looked great to my eye. Nice job Al.

I made up a mast alignment tool and we tried it on Als Northwind 36 boat as, Richard, Tim, Bill, Rick, Gary pulled up. Must have been time to go to breakfast and we headed over to the Holiday Inn for our Happy meal. Garth pulled up and pulled in over at the Hotel. That made eight for breakfast.

It was fun to have a group at breakfast. I brought everyone up to date on emails and phone calls from some new folks in Modesto, Leon. I mentioned some videos I had posted links to about racing. Richard asked if we could do racing on the first Sunday of the month. Sure we can. So March 3 bring a Vic to race and we will setup a course.

With eight folks it was a full time job listening in to the conversations. Someone brought up something to the left of me then said, don't put that in the pond report. So it isn't here. Talk to me later and I'll tell ya. Every once in a while it was about boats too. Richard said something about Daisy Cottage Cheese but our Kraft man Tim didn't want to hear it. Richard said I got him hooked on watching Doc Martin on Netflix he has now watched 5 years worth. I'm hooked too.

After our happy meal was all polished off we headed back to the pond. And there was Don setting up his Voyager I. WooHoo Don. Guys went to their trucks and started pulling out boats and setting up.

I took a close look at Tim's new test 505 jib sail on his Voyager II. Tim had had and ODOM main and jib and decided he wanted a smaller Jib. So he added a great looking Jib that Chuck Black had made for him a while back.

Garth had his ODOM, Al sailed his Northwind 36, Gary had his Vic, Don had his Voyager I, Tim his Voyager II, Rick had a Vic, Richard had his CJ, Bill had his Seawind and I sailed TicTac (an unidentified 1 meter long boat). At one point we had 9 boats out today at another 8. When we had 8 Rick mentioned to me that no two boats on the pond were the same. Fun.

We had walk ups and we handed off our transmitters. It was tricky knowing who was sailing whose boat and if you could trust them not to run into you or not. Gary found a way to use his rescue boat by stranding his Victoria on a palm frawn. It was fun watching him trying to push it off. Took a couple of tries but he made it.

Dennis showed up with a brand new 4 meter Kite I think. Very big... Dennis was keeping a close eye on wind speed because at 4 mph he could fly. He took it across the street and I snapped a couple of pictures of the new Red Kite flying. Very nice Dennis.

We didn't see our new friends from Modesto. Gary had made it down from Merced 2 hours away but it is 45 min closer. Not sure what happened.

We sailed until 4pm enjoying the warm day and the sunshine. I sure enjoy spending the day with buddies sailing. Thanks everyone.

When I got home I had a call from Leon he said he was so excited about coming down he couldn't sleep then when he did he over sleep. He said his buddy went out and sailed a reservoir and his brand new Vela lost radio contact and sailed off. He couldn't find it. Some days it goes like that. I hope he finds in when he goes out in the canoe tomorrow.

Charge up your batteries and we will see ya next Sunday.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:39 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
More Pictures

Yo Don,

Thanks for sharing the pictures from yesterday. I enjoyed seeing them.

Rick
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:51 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Great pics and even better report !!! I always look forward to both when I can't get out and sail myself. Now about the racing, you need to get the RGs and US1Ms out on the water. Hanse Dam will be hosting US1Ms on the last weekend of June. And right now the plan is to host US Nationals for RGs in the Tehachapis 4th of July weekend.

Manny
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:31 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Tehachapi

Hi Manny!

Always good to hear from you. We have saved you a spot on the club house porch anytime your up this way.

Did you say in Tehachapi. We have three guys up there that sail with us, Ron, Bob, and Wayne. That would be cool to have the RG's sail there.

July would be great. You might need smaller sails as I hear there is a breeze up that way sometimes.

Rick
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:07 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
Hi Manny!

Always good to hear from you. We have saved you a spot on the club house porch anytime your up this way.

Did you say in Tehachapi. We have three guys up there that sail with us, Ron, Bob, and Wayne. That would be cool to have the RG's sail there.

July would be great. You might need smaller sails as I hear there is a breeze up that way sometimes.

Rick
Yup July Fourth weekend. Multi day RG65 regatta. It will be part of there 4th of July celebration that weekend. As soon as I get more info I will pass it along.
I am getting closer to moving to Bakersfield so keep my seat warm, as well as a menu for my happy meal !
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:52 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
884 Posts
Bakersfield

Hi Manny,

As long as you are moving you could come another bit further North to Visalia. We could get you into sailing Hobie Adventure Islands with us besides RC boats. Keep us posted on the move.

Rick