to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:20 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
Full truck

Thanks Terry!

Mr P. I was thinking of loading up my Suburban with 2 ODOMs, 5 Fairwinds, 2 IOMs and 2 Vics just to prove I could do it. Then snap a picture. But that would surely be a bunch of work and I might have sails sticking out of the sun roof if I tired. Maybe I should just say I don't have a tractor trailer for a truck.
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:45 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Great pictures, looks like a fun day.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:21 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
612 Posts
Looks like a GREAT place to sail!!!
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:43 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,718 Posts
A great way to spend the day!

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:35 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
Sailing Lake Kaweah

It was a fun day. Having breakfast with the guys then going up to the lake being greeted by our Hobie AI guru and friend John B was great. We had room to park six of the vehicles right down at the waters edge forming a very protected area blocking the wind for our chairs and setup area.

It felt very much like camping and sailing. John had brought out sandwiches for us to sample and we sat back and had a great time.

I'm ready to sail again Sunday. We may have some rain this Sunday but I see they are calling for 59 degrees.

Rick
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:21 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report Jan 27, 2013

Yo Commodores,

Burrrr, when it gets into the 50s, shirt, sweater, and coat are all layered on. I had a call from Richard on my way to the pond and he said he couldn't make it this week. Take care Richard. Tim, and I came in at the same time to find Rick, Bill and Garth chatting away. We talked about goings on.

Rick has been working with Richard on his Cj deck. Tim had picked up a golf shaft for $20 that could be used for a Vic, carbon fiber and tapered. We talked about how our friends in AZ have some experience with US 1 meters and how we saw things different for our pond, but folks seeing things different that is part of sailing and all good.

After breakfast we headed over to the pond to find Dave and his grandson had already tested the water with their new Westward boat. We started hauling out ODOM's and a Soling 50. The winds were up so everyone was setting up a bit tighter today. Plastic tape was used on the front of the hatches to keep some of the goldfish from jumping out of the boats as we sailed.

I moved the mast forward a notch, flattened my sails some and after test sailing for a bit brought it back and back winded the main by sheeting in the jib some and giving a hair more shape to the main. It seamed to work out better letting me point a bit higher and a bit more performance downwind.

Lots of informal racing down on the short track. We had a few runs up the far end of the pond and back. Everyone was taking their time trying to figure out the right settings.

With the wind up I heard someone remark that the time between seeing a problem and reacting was shortened. I did hear some fiberglass on fiberglass, but everyone was trying their best. No harm no foul.

Rick had taped his Rx and battery pack up on the deck on his big Soling 50 after losing rudder control at the lake. Everyone tried to give that big boat a bit more room.

It was pretty quiet as we sailed. Lots of action and less time to sit back and talk. But good fun.

I know I banged the Stand Pipe once pretty good in the early part of the day with a shroud and I was worried I would get hooked up and stuck. I didn't but it could have happened to me. I dodged the bullet. Rick must have been standing behind me when I ducked. Yup!

He was running down to the stand pipe on port tack with a starboard rounding to come. His main boom got outside the stand pipe with the boat on the other side, and the main sheet caught behind the stand pipe. He has perfected this move over the years. Wham... He boat was trapped. He couldn't get off the pipe.

We tried to help with the ODOMS moving him off. No matter how many times the 8 pound ODOMs whacked at that 17 pound Soling 50 they couldn't extract it from the predicament, they just bounced off.

Luckily Rick had a spool of fishing line in the truck. Bill grabbed one end and Rick on the other and the worked it to both sides of the pond. After a couple attempts they managed to back it off. Whewww... I was almost ready to have Tim get wet getting it. Tim was going no no no, not my boat. But I'm sure he would have almost been the first in. That water did look cold.

Dave and his Grandson came back around 1 and sailed for a bit more. I think Dave is going to be looking for a second boat.

It was good fun being out on the water. Richard get well. We will see everyone next week. T shirt weather probably

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Jan 27, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:16 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
188 Posts
WOOOOOW !!!!! I really missed and excellant day of sailing!!!! Sounds like everyone had a great day. I'm sure missing those Happy Meals. I have a question for Rick H. Would you mind hanging up the Soling again on that pipe so I could bring up the tug and see if it would pull it off?
Come to think of it, it probably won't. Chris's Soling demasted one time and the tug did not have the power to bring it back in, so he had to paddle out and get it. Hmmmm, a bigger motor maybe? Next week's Super Bowl, so maybe the following week. Ron
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:46 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
"Tim was going no no no, not my boat."

Tim, you can borrow one of my pedal boats.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:56 AM
Hanford, CA
Joined Nov 2008
43 Posts
Thanks Don, but I don't think we have anyplace to store the paddle boat Ricks' house already looks like a boat lot.
Odomtim is offline Find More Posts by Odomtim
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:16 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
Boat lot

Wait wait, Bj could be reading this. Don't go saying things like no room to store another boat. That could crimp my style. I was thinking I could hang some off the end of the garage. Or stack them like the Don's do.

Good fun!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:14 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
SMYC Pond Report Feb 02, 2013

Yo Commodores!

My buddy Cujo was inspecting the lawn as I arrived at the Holiday Inn. Garth was right behind him as were Bill and Tim. Cujo was taking Garth to see some ball game not sure who was playing. Tim had said something about an Edgar Allen Poe named Literary team was playing today some folks from back East. I should follow this stuff more closely. Cujo and Garth took off and we went inside for our happy meal.

The fog was outside, and not much wind to speak of so we chatted for a bit. We talked about maybe going to the Farm show next Thursday. I updated folks on who had sent emails besides Bills two on Yahoo that he didn't send. I updated Tim on Bill and my Hobie sailing on Thursday. We polished off the banana and strawberries and they quit bringing us more food. Must have been time to go.

So we head back over to the pond to sail. It was a Fairwind day. Bill had his White and Blue Fairwind. Tim pulled out and setup his Orange Ranger Fairwind. And I had pulled out my every mans Fairwind once owned by Jeff, Don, Ron, someone else, then Ron again and then my Fairwind, "Plumb Crazy" to sail. Dave and his grandson Nicholas pulled up with their Westward boat ready to sail.

I let Dave and Nick take turns sailing my boat and I setup the j36 by Dennis with a Victoria rig. So we had 5 boats out hunting a puff.

Tim brought a Yellow tennis ball that we could tie onto a rescue rope in case someone decided to tie off at the mark again. But the tennis ball stayed dry today.

Tims jib was a bit soft so he took a look at it and ended up adding on a new bowsie to the Jib and mast head only to find a bowsie under the boom that did the same thing. Very clever Rob. We needed an orange button bowsie on it so we could see it.

As we sat there I noticed dandruff on my dark Cambria sweater. I felt proud us frolicly challenged guys get proud of such things. Turns out our roof was leaking and it was just tree pollen, dang.

We had a great time talking about boats and sailing. The Fairwinds did well on the water considering the air pressure. The Westward although small was able to navigate even pulling in a tree branch larger than itself. Dave talked about wanting another boat, maybe someones used boat. The j36 had no problem I need to look at the rudder blade maybe make a replacement that is a bit more to help with turning/sculling in light air.

I haven't turned on the TV yet to see if that ball game is on. It might be Poe's day to win. Didn't Edgar Allen Poe write the Poem the Raven and he died in 1849. I saw cars with banners and folks yelling go 49ers. That had to mean they were favored or something. Odd, but this is California.

Charge up your batteries and we will see you at the pond next week.

Rick
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:51 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
I like Plumb Crazy.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:41 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
SMYC Pond Report Feb 10, 2013

Yo Commodores!

Bright and early we pulled up at the pond, Rick, Richard, Bill and I and we walked back for breakfast at the Holiday Inn where Tim joined us before we hammered the meeting to disorder.

Trish took our orders I said the regular to start off the process, to Richard she ask sour dough bread, and around the table it went. It is nice when they know what you order better than you do. Talk then went to what was new. I reported I saw a note that our sailing buddy Matt is in Bali. Garth couldn't make it. John B said he is still fighting something, my money is on John to beat it. Something about the Farm show this week. Something about Rick bringing a mystery boat. That was intriguing. Rick is working on his Cj planking the deck. Richard is recovering from the fumes.

We talked about Roku and other ways of getting streaming TV instead of paying the cable company for it. I mentioned Dennis is very happy with Roku. Richard is using his Smart TV. Rick H said they do a lot of Netflix at the house.

Our happy meals came, and we watched Trish deliver them to the correct spots, I got an upside down happy meal. Sad but true. After a bit a happier meal was delivered to me we polished it off and we all headed to the pond.

Rick brought out his Mystery boat. It was 50" long and 11" wide at the beam. Looked alot like an early Soling 50 with a thinner keel. The rudder was installed in what appeared to be a solid block of wood 3" by 3" by 2". The hardware on the transom was cool. The deck was planked with 1/4 inch boards. There was lots of repair epoxy everywhere out side the boat and in. Rick put duct tape on the keel to keep all the lead from spilling out. The hatch cover looked like it would make a barn door replacement. I love to see how they built things years ago. A lot like I would build now. It looked like it will make a great project. Sure glad Rick has it as my project list is already long.

A guy came up with a Leonberger puppy that was 10 months old. It looked like a full grown Saint Bernard with German Shepard face. It was very docile monster. The owner said it just got into its 4th dog fight at the park. Well what others considered a fight. He said the puppy was just being aggressive.

We had Vics, Fairwind, and a Marble head out on the water today. Other boats were ready. The winds were variable and a challenge. We had Tangerines and friends to chew on and we sat back and enjoyed the day.

Our friends Al Ruthie and Sophie came up to visit. It was great seeing them again. It has been a while. Ruthie was much more mobile and looking better with a new do as was Sophie. Al's do wasn't new but we were glad to see him, just the same even without a change. He said he need some carbon fiber tube for the second Rg65 he is building. Ruthie said Al would be back next week to sail. Sophie had to go so that her toe nail polish wouldn't get messed up or her new Petco scarf wrinkled being outdoors and all.

I think we will be leaving Thursday from my house to go to the Farm Show at 8am. Sure hope they wake me when they come by.

Thanks everyone for sailing today. Those that didn't next time I hope.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:15 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Nice puppy.