SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:43 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
885 Posts
Weekend

Manny if you come up I'll sail.

We usually meet at 9:30 at the Holiday Inn. Is that boat a US1 meter? Sure is a unique design.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:50 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
No Christmas lights on my tug Rick. I know I have at least a couple of sets of battery powered led lights in my led light assortment box which I can't find, but will show up when I am not looking for it.

I would love to come up there and do a night run with you guys for Christmas, but it is too far away.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:52 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
Manny if you come up I'll sail.

We usually meet at 9:30 at the Holiday Inn. Is that boat a US1 meter? Sure is a unique design.

Rick
Yes it is a US1M, Swede Johnson ORCO Hot Dog.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:57 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Sweet Shelley Foss Manny.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:46 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
885 Posts
Orco

Swede made the original Orco 1 meter that looked more like an ODOM then something with relish and mustard on it. My friend Rob had one and sailed it.

I've been interested in the hotdog boat. Isn't there an IOM in that design?

Rick
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900 View Post
Swede made the original Orco 1 meter that looked more like an ODOM then something with relish and mustard on it. My friend Rob had one and sailed it.

I've been interested in the hotdog boat. Isn't there an IOM in that design?

Rick
There is an IOM, I've been trying to talk one of the guys down here he doesn't want it any more. There is also a Marble head. I keep an eye out for his boats. This one is a 40 dollar Craigslist find.
Manny
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:41 AM
Lancaster Ca
Joined May 2008
551 Posts
New sails

I have a northwind 36-600 rc sailboat and want to upgrade the sails . Being that my closest relatives live in Visaila/Exeter I'd ask .Thx Ken Long ,pm me
kenracer759 is offline Find More Posts by kenracer759
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,316 Posts
Sorry I couldn't make it up today, putting in a 12 hour shift.
So that I can have Christmas Eve off.
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:37 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
885 Posts
Sierra MYC Shop Report Dec 23, 2012

Yo Commodores,

It was 76 degrees out and the winds were 7-12 somewhere in the world, just not at our pond today. I was late to breakfast, but give me a minute here and I'll see if I can find someone else to blame for it.

Yeah Richard, I could blame Richard. He had sent me a long text message something about skipping out today and spending his Anniversary today with his wife. Happy Anniversary Richard and Barbara! Bj and I just had ours last week and I think Bill and Lorena's is coming up next week.

Anywho, back at the restaurant our orders were placed with brevity "The Usual". And the conversation turned without grace to Guns, Politics, and stolen elections of the past. We didn't get to religion today as our guys were already energized by the other topics and we needed to find a calm harbor. For a minute there I think the forks and knives could have become a topic for legislation of the new and warranted UCA, "Utensil Control Act". Just to be clear, I came down on the side of banning long handled forks.

On the brighter side, and back on topic we were happy that Gary may have found a new venue for r/c sailing up in Merced. He said he checked out Lake Yosemite which is about seven miles from his house and it may work out perfectly.

After breakfast we went outside and stood under a large pine tree where we were assured to get a constant drip from the rain. We decided to have a shop day as the road over by the pond seamed to be blocked and the rain coming down and all. So off to the shop we went. (Note On ramp toward Visalia is now open.)

At the shop we fired up the heater and talked boats. Whew, a safer subject. Garth talked about his Yamaha Around the World he is working on and how he wanted to make his fairlead. Rick talked about how he is modifying his Fairwind and has things more adjustable now on the outhauls.

Bill talked about his fleet and big boats some. Bill pointed out an article in a magazine that Bob Cree had given us on how a full scale skipper had retired to r/c boats showing a guy and a Victoria in a pool.

Tim updated us on an RG65 he saw on Rcgroups $175. That got us off on talking about some projects that are in progress around the shop. Several of us own RG65's but haven't moved much in getting them done. Good thing we have builder Al in the club. Al has one done and is working on a second Jiff.

Tim said he was going to be flush with family for the next week or so for Christmas. We got into talking about chess and he shared a picture of his dads hand carved chess set. Very nice.

We got into a discussion about full size boats and enjoyed taking turns chatting. We each enjoyed sitting back indoors with the heater on sharing stories and talking with pals about boats as it rained outside.

We are going to try and sail again next week.

From our club to you Merry Christmas, and a happy New Year of sailing. If you can come sail with us.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Dec 24, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:44 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,375 Posts
Nice report.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:21 AM
Lancaster Ca
Joined May 2008
551 Posts
The lighted sailboat

I'm always on the slope thread but nice picture . I was at the Parade of lights in Ventura harbor on my 26d MacGREGER .Good times I like all things that move by wind
kenracer759 is offline Find More Posts by kenracer759
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:45 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,375 Posts
Merry Christmas to all my boating friends! Hope you all have a happy and blessed Christmas!
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
Merry Christmas to all my boating friends! Hope you all have a happy and blessed Christmas!
I see Santa gave you a new typewriter ribbon with red ink. Very nice. Don
Last edited by Fairwind900; Dec 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:50 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
885 Posts
SMYC Pond Report Dec 30, 2012

Yo Commodores,

Happy New Year! I hope Santa was good to you and you got everything you had on your list. I for example got some new parts for my Hobie and a new hat. Don Miller wrote last night that he got something for Christmas. He got Fat! I figure it just comes this time of year from Don being too sweet.

Tim, Rick and Richard joined me for our Happy Meal. Good thing it has negative calories . We shared Christmas stories and talk about everything new since last week. I had been shopping yesterday and I could tell everyone seamed much more mellow now that they weren't trying to kill each trying to buy the last I've-got-to-have-it in the store.

We talked about when to go to Lake Kaweah to sail with our Three River Buddies. Tim said the best day for him would be a Monday. He didn't seam to want to go tomorrow. But I'll work on nailing that down.

The temperature outside was in the upper 40s with a breeze, we stayed a little bit longer inside sipping our coffee, until we decided we needed to get our boats wet.

The road around the pond is blocked so we had to drive around the circle to get to the club house. We setup our chairs in the shade and setup some boats. Tim had brought his Marblehead. Richard setup his Cj. Rick talked about wanting to trouble shoot his Fairwind. I setup an ODOM.

On my boat I loosened up everything. I didn't put any pressure on the Cunningham, made the jib and main out-haul loose. Put a big gap between the Jib and the mast, opened up the sheet trim, and made the shrouds and back stay very loose to sail in the light air.

The boats actually did pretty well considering how light the air was. By the end of the day I was making everything tight as the wind shifted 180 degrees and had more pressure.

As I was changing settings on the boat, I used a trash can for a temporary boat stand. Tim said I had to get a picture of that as I had posted one of his CJ sitting in the trash a few months back.

We only sailed for a couple of hours today. But I was so glad to get out on the water again. Richard and Rick had to take off and get somethings done. Tim and I headed back to the shop and sat and talked boats for probably another two hours.

It was a great day. Thanks everyone, for today and for sailing at Plaza Park Pond in 2012.

A special note out to some of our buddies that are under the weather, or not doing well. Take care and get better, we have more sailing to do in 2013.

This hobby is too much fun not to share.

Happy New Year!

Rick
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:46 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Great report. Are you guys going to sail the Hobies at Lake Kaweah? Pics please if you do.

Happy New Year.
Last edited by SD RC Boater; Dec 31, 2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Another damm typo.