HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:14 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
879 Posts
Old Soling 50

I pulled out my old Soling 50 today from its protected storage to take a look at what it would take to get it on the water and sailing again. This boat was originally owned by Bud van Loben Sels and he gifted it to my friend Gale Enstad who in turn passed it down to me. Thanks Gale!

My goal with the boat is to keep it original as it was sailed by Bud, and Gale.

Looking over the old electronics on board you will see three old Kraft servos. One servo to control the rudder, one for the jib trim, and the third rudder on the board flips a 3 way switch to power the sail sheet control motor (SC-3) to stop, or move the arm forward or back. These are amazing to see and hear in action.

The old sail arm is 10 1/2" long, a real monster made of aluminum.

The old Kraft transmitter and Rx is on 26.995. I'll have to look into where the fcc has assigned that to make sure testing won't hurt anything. But right now I think I can get everything going with some batteries as far as electronics are concerned.

I put a Futaba 3801 out with a standard servo for size comparisons and put an RG65 on the deck to give a feeling of size.

I am still flipping coins on how to proceed with this project. I would like to build a board that I could put in for sailing and then replace it for display. The servo board in this boat is removable and hangs from the deck instead of being attach to the bottom of the boat, very unique build.

It is good to have projects...

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Last edited by Fairwind900; Dec 15, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:47 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Fairwind threads

Hi Rick,

I have been enjoying this thread.

I hail from the Nirvana thread originally,( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post23538868), but I just bought a new Fairwind III, and have been looking for a thread on it.
Most of the data is about the older Fairwinds, although much of it is still pertinent.
I did join the yahoo group but again it's mostly about the older boats.

There isn't much out there, so I started a new one.

It's
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781219
if anyone here is interested.

Like the Nirvana forum, your thread runs off on little rabbit trails now and then, and that's a good thing, keeps it interesting.
There is only so much you can say about any boat, no matter how great it is.

I like the build threads and the modding tips etc.
Also like the friendly scenario you describe with your breakfasts and shop days etc.
Sounds like you guys have a great time.

Up here in Canada, the water is about to get hard, so our sailing time is coming to an end.
Keep this thread going.

Rick
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Dec 19, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
879 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report December 16, 2012

Yo Commodores!

I pulled up over by the pond right behind Rick and we headed back to the hotel for breakfast. We saw Garth pull up and park just before we went in and found Gary sitting at a large table with a coffee pot. With the cool December days the Coffee looked very inviting. It didn't take long and Garth, Richard and Tim to Join us at the table.

Talk ranged from Pelican hooks, Gun Control, Bull Dog puppies, some sailing and Cow Femurs. We talked about Richard dressing up as Santa and sharing the photos. The conversation went on during the happy meal feeding frenzy. The rush hour crowd left and we got up with full tummies and headed to the pond.

Over at the pond the guys were grabbing boats and launching them. Garth had his ODOM (the tallest boat on the water today). Tim, and Richard went with their Victorias. I had with me Garys new Victoria fresh from the work shop bench where it had a going over with new sheeting lines, standing rigging and other fixes including mounting the original sails that Gary wanted on the boat. The original sail colors did go well with the paint scheme and looked good on the water.

Rick worked on his Fairwind getting it going. Amazing how a weak set of batteries in the boat can make thing appear to be wrong. But with a fresh set installed in the boat the Fairwind made its appearance among the quartet of Victorias.

The winds went from good to slow but it gave us a chance in the lulls to solve the problems of the world once more. Gary pulled out his new Tug boat and got it going. It was the first time on the pond for it. It was just in time too as Garth was trying to move the Island on the pond further South to no avail with his boat. The tug boat did a good job of saving the Island and freeing it from the ODOM.

Richard was having an issue with his Victoria today. Seams like it had radio jitters on slot one of 6 in his receiver. All the rest of the plug in slots were quiet. We will have to figure that out at some point. It wasn't a servo as the problem didn't move with the servos. It is good to have a mystery.

I had worked on my Soling 50 this week but didn't bring it today. I need to pickup a new transmitter battery for my old Kraft radio. So I sailed my Vic Chili Pepper and kept the 36" J boat as reserve.

We had several long pond runs testing everyone skills on how to round the stand pipe at the far end of the pond.

It was a good day. I'm hopeful we can get in one more sail before Richard tries climbing down everyone's chimneys.

Congratulations Gary on getting your boats on the water.

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Dec 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:31 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,340 Posts
Great pictures, I've got to make it back out to the pond.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:08 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
Great pictures, I've got to make it back out to the pond.
I agree great pics ! And a new year resolution that shouldn't be to hard to keep, make it down to the pond !
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:52 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Another nice day day at the pond.

Glad to see more tugs in the club. Do you guys have enough now to do a Christmas boat parade of lights?
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:57 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
879 Posts
Sd

Sd?

If we do will you bring your tugboat and join us???

Rick
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
Hi Rick,

II hail from the Nirvana thread originally,( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post23538868), but I just bought a new Fairwind III, and have been looking for a thread on it.
Most of the data is about the older Fairwinds, although much of it is still pertinent.
I did join the yahoo group but again it's mostly about the older boats.

There isn't much out there, so I started one of my own.

It's
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781219
if anyone here is interested.

Like the Nirvana forum, your thread runs off on little rabbit trails now and then, and that's a good thing, keeps it interesting.
There is only so much you can say about any boat, no matter how great it is.

Rick
Rick,

Fairwind900 (our own Rick M.) is the AMYA Fairwind class "guru" and a super nice guy. I, along with you enjoy and look forward to his weekly pond reports.

We have a lot of guys named "Rick" in the club so you'd fit right in! Take a break from the cold, forego the bagged milk and come join us if you're ever in the area!

PS: Ahem. . .it was Tim that ran my boat aground. It was hilarious to see Gary's new tug push it off of the rocks! Tim is now going to a Captains Mast and I foresee a reduction in rank along with a forfeiture of 2 weeks pay.
CUJ0 is offline Find More Posts by CUJ0
Last edited by CUJ0; Dec 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:19 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD RC Boater View Post
Another nice day day at the pond.

Glad to see more tugs in the club. Do you guys have enough now to do a Christmas boat parade of lights?
Yes!!!
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:53 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
I think we could put probably get a half dozen christmas tugs on the water, however, at this point it would have to be a Christmas/New years Regatta. I can't figure out how to get back on the Group Site, but I think there are still a bunch of pics from past years regattas. Ron
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,296 Posts
Parade Time ?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:37 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
879 Posts
Is there a race?

I'm not the competitive type, but are we trying to do one better are we?

Manny and Don your boats look great all lit up. Manny I sure do like your Lord Nelson.

We do have a bunch of Atlantic tugs in the club. We also have a Mr Darby tug that is powered by a full size car battery so it may be able to run more lights. It might be able to hold a Douglas Fir tree too. Mr Darby is a big boat.

Now for sailboats.... I may be able to go out to the shop and find a sailboat to add lights to. But then I'm not the competitive type.

I wounder if I can put a miniature train set under my tree on the back of the tug, pipe Christmas music from it and get the smoke stack to puff on the beat. But then again, I'm not the competitive type.

I'm thinking this is SD's idea this year. Where is he with his Tug photo?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,296 Posts
Ok one more. Shelly Foss, 175 leds, snow globe and a tree !!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:00 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
879 Posts
Tugs

I'm thinking I still like the Lord Nelson better.

But thanks for the bulb count, and the great picture of the Shelly Foss.

I think I have a 30' strip of LEDs out in the shop, not sure of the count.

Did anyone else have a photo of their tugs? Manny and Don are leading so far in bulb count.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Apr 2007
3,296 Posts
Sailboats on the water at night look the best. Only problem with a night time regatta is it gets cold.
Are you guys sailing this Sunday ? Hot Dog dinosaur boat is in the truck, I may be headed up to Bakersfield this weekend.