HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SPasierb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 05, 2007, 12:32 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,260 Posts
Gallery
Warbirds Over Salem August 4, 2007

A few photographs from the Salem, Connecticut R/C Propbusters warbird and classic event. This is one of my favorite flying spots. The field is excellent and is surrounded by acres of farmland. The guys in this club are among the best you'll find anywhere. Good people, gracious hosts and fun!

Anyone attending this event, please feel free to add additional pictures here!
SPasierb is online now Find More Posts by SPasierb
Last edited by SPasierb; Aug 06, 2007 at 09:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2007, 08:13 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,689 Posts
nice collection. Any info in the Beaufighter?
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 07:47 AM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,260 Posts
Hi Stuart. The Beaufighter is the HVP kit no longer in production, but they sometimes show up here in the "electric planes for sale" section. I just picked-up another one NIB that I plan to do this winter as a nightfighter. On that one I plan to glass the wing with .5 ounce cloth and then use water-based polyurathane as the resin -- should be very light and provide a good base for paint.

Overall a great kit with a nice fiberglass fuse. The nacelles are simple vacuum-formed thin plastic and quite brittle. I had one disasterous take-off and they "went to pieces." I reassembled them, tacking all the pieces back together... then lining the interior with one ounce fiberglass cloth and resin... then filling all of the exterior cracks... primed and repainted. They are much more stout now. The nacelles are a definite weak-point in an otherwise well thought-out kit.

It's a joy to fly. Power is 450 brushless outrunners from justgofly.com (I don't recall if they are the "T" or "TH" version), CC Phx 25 controllers (overkill, but I had them, they offer programming flexibility, and I like certainty on a twin) turning 10x7 APC e-props juiced by a single Polyquest 3700 3S 25C LiPo. It performs great in the air and has good duration on this set-up. Ground handling is a bit tough -- it did not like even the short grass at Salem.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I don't think I've ever taken close-up photos, but if I find some in my computer at home I will post here.

BTW, these had a bad reputation back in the day of Speed 480 motors and heavy ni-cads (the standard when the kit came out). With today's brushless outrunners and LiPos... thrust is way up, weight is down. I was flying photo passes for a person in Salem and basically went dead-stick just floating by him like a heavy 2-meter sailplane.
SPasierb is online now Find More Posts by SPasierb
Last edited by SPasierb; Aug 06, 2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 11:49 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Spasierb..Thats sure one fine looking OV-10 , use to work on them in usaf in viet nam.Looks like we dont live to far away from each other,im in rhinebeck ny dutchess county.And also a 10 year member of P.C.A.! A few years back my 944 took 3rd. place in pca for zone 1 car show down in jersey. SMALL WORLD. May be well fly together sometime..Take care , and take care of my ov-10....R.T.R.
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon