HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Vicarious, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 04, 2007, 04:41 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
Discussion
My Aircraft Bona-fides...

I have loved planes and most other transportation since I was a kid. Played with lots of paper airplanes and balsa kits from the 7-11. In 1971-1973? I got a Testors Fly-em Mustang. I loved just looking at it. They show up on ebay from time to time. I got it to run once, but tried many times. My mom bought it for me because it looked (a little) like her brother's airplane. My uncle was Thomas Mantell .

I had various other Cox gas vehicles, but after that it was all electric. My first electric plane was a Hasbro Air Devil. 5 D cell batteries in a tower attached to a hard plastic plane by two power wires. The plane had a flat electric motor that looked like a slot car motor. It flew around the tower on a pivot arm, and got faster if you pulled the wires in (decreasing the radius). It landed on a 6' cardboard runway. Toys like that should come back again...

My next electric plane was a Mattel SuperStar . It was a red and blue vacuum formed fuselage with styrofoam wings. It was a free flight plane with cams that turned the rudder. It flew well right in front of my house in suburban Louisville, KY.

At 17 I had a good summer job and bought my first RC system - a Cox/Sanwa 4 channel with 4 servos. The first thing I put it in (illicitly) was a Tamiya Lamborghini. My brother bought me a Guillow's DeHavilland Mosquito. I still haven't built it...That was 1981.

Typically, I started spending all my money on women by the time I was 18. The (over $300) radio quit working in 1983. Which was just as well - it was illegal in 1982.

In 2002 I got my first RC plane... An Air Hogs Intruder! Still not hooked yet, I played with it occasionally for the last five years.

This year my co-worker T3chDad started back into RC, and I followed suit. I modded the Air Hog, but it is a squirrel in the sky. I am building the Blu Cub2 as my trainer plane. I hope to add my build to that thread soon.

I still love the Toys (sorry Micro RTF), but I'm in the RC Hobby for good now.

Thanks for reading!
Vicarious is online now Find More Posts by Vicarious
Last edited by Vicarious; Oct 24, 2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: img
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2007, 01:40 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
I remember that, the SANWA was once the smallest and most 'cute' radio sets , some of that series are in ORANGE colour, one of the three most famous made in japan , ...
David
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC