HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2007, 01:36 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Interesting as mine needs the front of the 3100 3S lipo just about even with the front of the battery hatch with the battery in the back of the tray to balance. Using a Eflite Power 10 (323W)
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2007, 02:37 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,319 Posts
I've been working on the Cub a little at a time. When I started peeling the covering back it was obvious the fuse was much worse than it first looked. After making some new sections and the generous addition of flat CF to strategic areas the fuse is ready to go again. The wing damage was fairly easy but the dihedral brace broke in half so there was no support. I took a CF tail boom for my T-Rex 450 and cut it down to 10.5 inches and that's what I'll use in the holes just forward of the spar. It should work fine as it extends inside for two rib bays.

The cowl is a different story. I have glassed it inside and filled in the damaged areas on the outside. It's super strong now but there is no way I will be able to match the original appearance. I'm waiting for the replacement cowls to be available in the next few days. When they are I'll order the covering too. The covering is Hyperion brand so that makes it easy as they have it in stock.

I'm still working with the Mountain Models/Laser Arts SwitchBack Senior beta so that plane is a priority. When I have the time I'll get the Cub back in the air.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:47 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,319 Posts
Well, I've done almost all of the repairs. The cowl is fully repaired and painted. I got the Hyperion covering and am ready to throw it in the garbage! I got the front fuse covered OK but on any open area that requires shrinking it just doesn't hold at the edges and pulls away. I've made several attempts to recover the fuse in a small area of the turtledeck and can't make it happen. The covering always pulls loose at the edge when it is shrunk. I'm waaayyyy beyond frustrated at this point. Using any other brand of covering this would be NO issue at all!

I got Ultracote Cub yellow paint for the cowl as that's the only Cub yellow I could find around here. It's a shade or five lighter than the covering. I know if I buy a different brand of Cub yellow covering it won't match what is on the plane either. The covering is the only thing holding me back from getting the plane in the air again. It may end up on the shelf until I feel like messing with it again. I haven't had a covering irritate me like this since So-Lite!

Joe
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:56 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Joe,
Sounds to me like your covering iron isn't hot enough! Try turning it up in stages and try covering a scrap piece of balsa. I have found some of the covering on some of the asian made models requires a blow torch to shrink and stick it down!
boomer
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:05 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,319 Posts
Boomer,

I've tried six times now. Everything from 200 degrees to 350 degrees on my 21st Century iron. I don't know how the Chinese work with this stuff. It sucks worse than anything else I've ever tried! I'll take the fuse into the LHS and see what other brands match it a little better. For now the Hyperion covering is a waste of time.

Joe
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:22 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe
Boomer,

I've tried six times now. Everything from 200 degrees to 350 degrees on my 21st Century iron. I don't know how the Chinese work with this stuff. It sucks worse than anything else I've ever tried! I'll take the fuse into the LHS and see what other brands match it a little better. For now the Hyperion covering is a waste of time.

Joe
Sounds like you received some bad covering.
boomer