HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2007, 08:16 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe
Mine goes for maiden tomorrow. I'll be flying with the Hacker A30-16M and 3S1P 2200 T.P. Extremes. I've flown this motor in a comparable weight plane before with the same pack with no issues. I'll be way overpowered for this plane so I think I'll use an 11x7E or smaller prop instead of the normal 12x6E to lower the amps a bit. AUW came out at 45.0 ounces.

I don't think hand launching will be a problem at all as long as you're not marginally powered.

Joe
I'm using the recommended Hyperion Z3019-12 motor. Also I'm using a 10x7E MAS prop. They say APC 11x5.5 to 11x7 "E". It seems to have some pretty good "pull" at WOT so I think it should be enough prop for now.

Now I just have to wait for a calm day and this weekend just doesn't look like it's going to cooperate.

Good luck tomorrow Joe. Looking forward to the flight report!
gsk11740 is offline Find More Posts by gsk11740
Last edited by gsk11740; Aug 17, 2007 at 08:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2007, 09:20 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsk11740
I'm using the recommended Hyperion Z3019-12 motor. Also I'm using a 10x7E MAS prop. They say APC 11x5.5 to 11x7 "E". It seems to have some pretty good "pull" at WOT so I think it should be enough prop for now.

Now I just have to wait for a calm day and this weekend just doesn't look like it's going to cooperate.

Good luck tomorrow Joe. Looking forward to the flight report!
Could have sworn I had some 11x7E props but I don't. I tossed the Wattmeter on it with the 12x6 and got 306 watts and 28.3 amps draw. Heck, I'll just leave the big prop on there and throttle back. It looks better with the big one anyway.

I hope the maiden goes well tomorrow because this plane gets shelved immediately after the flight. My SwitchBack beta kit is here and I have to pick it up at the post office and start on it tomorrow. It will get ALL of my attention.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:11 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Joe,
Be sure and post your maiden info.
Finished the fuse tonight. Was hoping to get Bubba in as pilot but unless he is so short he can't see over the dash he interferes with the flap servo! I could put him up front but the J3 flew solo from the back seat. I should know as that's what I soloed in to get my Pilot's Ticket! (1947)
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Aug 18, 2007, 08:32 AM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Could have sworn I had some 11x7E props but I don't. I tossed the Wattmeter on it with the 12x6 and got 306 watts and 28.3 amps draw. Heck, I'll just leave the big prop on there and throttle back. It looks better with the big one anyway.

I hope the maiden goes well tomorrow because this plane gets shelved immediately after the flight. My SwitchBack beta kit is here and I have to pick it up at the post office and start on it tomorrow. It will get ALL of my attention.

Joe
I really need to get a watt meter. I just keep putting it off for silly reasons. I tend to err on the side of caution on props since I don't really know what the amp draw is.

My Cub probably won't get flown much either. I have a bunch of kits I need to get done after this. I'm finding I like the smaller, more maneuverable planes more since I really don't have that much space to fly the bigger ones. I have a Hyperion 25e Spitfire that won't see much action either. It just seems a bit big and fast for that little field I have out back.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 08:33 AM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Joe,
Be sure and post your maiden info.
Finished the fuse tonight. Was hoping to get Bubba in as pilot but unless he is so short he can't see over the dash he interferes with the flap servo! I could put him up front but the J3 flew solo from the back seat. I should know as that's what I soloed in to get my Pilot's Ticket! (1947)
boomer
Bubba? LOL! Got a picture?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:13 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,323 Posts
I just got back from the maiden. Good and bad news. As I took off it needed no input from me. Until I turned. This baby NEEDS rudder mixing to do a decent looking turn. I did two circuits and after using rudder input the turns were much better. I landed and ALMOST set up the mix. I decided to take off again and just do the rudder manually for another few circuits. Bad idea! It was pretty windy and just as I started my turn it dropped a wing and just fell out of the sky from about 30 feet. No amount of power or control movement made any difference. The most sudden and violent tip stall I've ever experienced. I've heard that Cubs like to tip stall and they weren't wrong. I could have avoided the crash if I had just listened to myself.
#1. Don't maiden on a windy day
#2. Make needed changes BEFORE taking off again!

The plane flew very good even in the wind. I'm pretty sure what happened is that just as I banked I caught a gust of wind that slowed it down and that's what caused the tip stall. Not really a fault of the plane. My fault for not listening to myself.

Damage is pretty bad but repairable. The worst part will be trying to find out what covering was used on it. I like it and want to put the same thing back on it.

Repairs will be done at a much later date as I need to run down to the post office to get my SwitchBack beta kit.

Joe
Old Aug 18, 2007, 01:06 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,323 Posts
Pictures of the carnage.

Joe
Old Aug 18, 2007, 01:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to see that one Joe. Been there (haven't we all).

I have a Goldberg Husky (very similar to a Cub) that flew horribly in any kind of wind and really needed that rudder for turns. I sort of figured the Hyperion Cub would be that same way. I'm waiting for a totally calm day before I even think of trying to fly my Cub. May have to wait a while around here.

The pictures don't make your's look too bad so hopefully you can fix it. I saved the covering I cut away for the windows. They aren't much but might be useful for small repairs.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 01:46 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Pictures of the carnage.

Joe
Sorry to see that Joe!!! What percentage of rudder did you figure for the mix??? Might as well get mine setup that way from the get-go. My Telemasters need a bunch of rudder also. I have lost my share of planes from tip stalling queens!
boomer
Old Aug 18, 2007, 02:05 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,323 Posts
Boomer,

I'd start with at least 10% and adjust from there. Depending on your throws I'll bet you end up between 15% and 20%.

The plane actually flew very well aside from the need for rudder. I think my mishap was just a combination of things that worked together to cause the crash. The biggest contributor was my being fat headed and not making the adjustments that I should have.

Joe
Old Aug 18, 2007, 09:02 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,323 Posts
Here are a few pictures before the crash today.

Ignore the weirdo at the controls in the first one. Check out the coyote in the background in the second one. Yep, it's still the wild west where we fly. We don't see many road runners hanging around here. Wonder why.

Joe
Old Aug 18, 2007, 09:25 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Joe,
Cool Pic!!!! Just finished the cub.... see
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729894
boomer
Old Aug 19, 2007, 07:00 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,323 Posts
Here is the maiden video. HERE. You can see how windy it was. Also quite a bit of footage of Wile E. Coyote strolling by.

Joe
Old Aug 19, 2007, 07:32 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Nice video. Loved the Coyote!
Old Aug 20, 2007, 07:46 AM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Maybe I'll switch over to an AXI 2808 with one 3s 2100 pack. Currently using a 2820 with 3s2p 2600 pack as it was the best match to the recommended motor that I had. That would help me cut down the weight. Is balancing an issue? It seems that, as mine flies now, I have to place the packs as far forward as the tray allows and this is with a heavier motor hanging on the firewall.

Matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger