HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2007, 01:42 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garlonbs
I have the Hyperion 25E and the world models 48" cubs. My 25 is using an Eflite power 10, Airbos 35, apc 12X6E, 600ma flight pack and a hyperion 2100 16C lipo. I used cs-12 servos from tower hobbies with a MG on the rudder.

First off let me say this plane is a dream to fly. I never get over 1/2 throttle even on takeoff since it does not suffer from the "cub ground dance" that many other models seem to. I've mixed in down elevator for 50% and 100% flap settings but i've found it easier to land with no flaps.

This power setup requires some management as wot static is 42 amps but who wants to 3d a cub I've found that high rates which are close to factory recommended do very well. My low rates at 60% made it harder to fly. The plane flys well in 12 to 15 mph but is much more fun below 10 mph. The landing gear is very well designed which is a nice change from other Hyperion models I've flown and my worst "carrier" landing did nothing more than pop the o rings between the LG braces. Larger main wheels would be better on grass fields.

The WM 48" uses an eflite park 450 with a custom made firewall and spacers. Ultrafly 25Amp esc and either hyperion or TP 2100 lipos finish the power train. I've fogotten which apc slow flyer prop i put on it but its a 9" i believe. The WM cub can literally fly 30 min at half throttle in gentle wind which is nice when i'm ribbing the slimers about their dead stick landings when they run out of fuel.

Both of these planes need plenty of roll on the alierons and a high deflection on the rudder. I mixed up elevator with rudder on the hyperion and it made it alot easier to fly.

I have lots of planes in a mix of electric as well as glow but these 2 are hands down my favorites. I doubt you can go wrong with either one.
Thanks,
Could you PM me the settings you are using regarding throws and mixes and maybe I'll try the Hyperon anyway.
thanks again,
Boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:53 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,297 Posts
Yeah, I'd be curious to know what mixes you used too. Sounds like I'm going to be a bit overpowered with the Hacker motor. Oh well, I can always lower the throttle stick to keep it from hovering and torque rolling the length of the runway.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Aug 08, 2007, 05:11 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,815 Posts
Boomer,

I must say I also love the Hyperion Cub and it flies really well. I have been looking for a good Cub for years and I think I have owened more than 5 so far. The Hyperion Cub e25 is definitely my favourite so far!

Flies well on an AXi 2808/24 with APC 8x6 prop and 3S-2100 cells (about 220W's).

It has a nice glide and no bad habits at all. The flaps are a nice bonus too but I only use the occasionaly on landing. The big ailerons are great and makes the plane more manouverble than what I have been used to in other Cubs.

Installed landing lights from DE too - nice !

Right now however it's on the table for some maintance since I flew it in 20 mph winds and hit turbulence on landing last Sunday. Still - I am impressed with how well it help up in a 30 ft nose-in, so I'll have it back in one piece after an evenings work I hope.

Here are some pictures of my Cub;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ot#post7681537

/Icebear
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
Old Aug 08, 2007, 01:15 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear
Boomer,

I must say I also love the Hyperion Cub and it flies really well. I have been looking for a good Cub for years and I think I have owened more than 5 so far. The Hyperion Cub e25 is definitely my favourite so far!

Flies well on an AXi 2808/24 with APC 8x6 prop and 3S-2100 cells (about 220W's).

It has a nice glide and no bad habits at all. The flaps are a nice bonus too but I only use the occasionaly on landing. The big ailerons are great and makes the plane more manouverble than what I have been used to in other Cubs.

Installed landing lights from DE too - nice !

Right now however it's on the table for some maintance since I flew it in 20 mph winds and hit turbulence on landing last Sunday. Still - I am impressed with how well it help up in a 30 ft nose-in, so I'll have it back in one piece after an evenings work I hope.

Here are some pictures of my Cub;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ot#post7681537

/Icebear
Thanks Icebear,
It looks great in the air! Will definitely order one!
boomer
Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:47 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Plane will arrive Tuesday. Will post finished pics and intend to shoot maiden flight video and post on website www.boomerseflight.com .......... More later
boomer
Old Aug 10, 2007, 06:25 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,297 Posts
You'll maiden it by the weekend Boomer. I can't believe how little there is to do. I just can't seem to get the time or enough pain reduction to be able to sit and work comfortably or I'd have finished mine a long time ago.

Joe
Old Aug 10, 2007, 06:45 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe
You'll maiden it by the weekend Boomer. I can't believe how little there is to do. I just can't seem to get the time or enough pain reduction to be able to sit and work comfortably or I'd have finished mine a long time ago.

Joe
Sorry to hear about your problems Joe! Jackie is having a bunch of her own right now (PMR) that has put a screeching halt to the Videos. Hopefully that will get better as she's back on medication. As she says "old age ain't for sissies"! I have a backlog of 7 planes to maiden right now but have been flying other planes when I can when weather allows as I really want a video of the maidens.
boomer
Old Aug 10, 2007, 07:44 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Ok, I've put this off long enough. This weekend, my Cub gets finished! I doubt I'll get to maiden it but at least I'll have it out together.
gsk11740 is offline Find More Posts by gsk11740
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:21 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Hyperion J-3 cub completed

I finally completed my cub. I haven't been able to fly it yet due to high winds (20+ mph). I just hope it will fly as good as it looks. I was really impressed with the quality of this plane out of the box.
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Last edited by krazyman; Aug 17, 2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:49 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Just building mine. She sure is looking good!!! More later.....
boomer
Old Aug 17, 2007, 02:41 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
I've got mine done but haven't maidened it mostly because I'm not sure I have anywhere I can fly it. I can't ROG it in the field behind my house (hay field - no runway). Anyone here ever try to hand launch a 25e sized plane?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 02:47 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Well, another reason I haven't flown it yet. Not sure about batteries. All I have are 2 TP3s2100's and a TP3s1320. Forget the 1320 (I know it won't work) but would one of the 2100's be enough? I can run 2 in parallel but would that be too much weight?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 05:23 PM
All electric, all the time!
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsk11740
Well, another reason I haven't flown it yet. Not sure about batteries. All I have are 2 TP3s2100's and a TP3s1320. Forget the 1320 (I know it won't work) but would one of the 2100's be enough? I can run 2 in parallel but would that be too much weight?
That would not weigh that much more than the 3300 Hyperion they recommend at the upper end of the range. I think you would be fine.

The 3300 is 260 grams and the two Prolite 2100s would be about 280 grams. It a plane like this, I don't think you would notice a big difference.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
QuietRCFly is offline Find More Posts by QuietRCFly
Old Aug 17, 2007, 05:55 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRCFly
That would not weigh that much more than the 3300 Hyperion they recommend at the upper end of the range. I think you would be fine.

The 3300 is 260 grams and the two Prolite 2100s would be about 280 grams. It a plane like this, I don't think you would notice a big difference.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
Thanks Chris (again). I sort of figured that would work. I did the same on the Spitfire. Fortunately, my only two TP2100's survived that one! I really need to get more batteries. Can't get much flying in with what little I have!

Now, anyone know about hand launching the Cub? I might be able to get away with flying at the school but with school starting back up again really soon, I'm not sure if I still can.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 07:27 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,297 Posts
Mine goes for maiden tomorrow. I'll be flying with the Hacker A30-16M and 3S1P 2200 T.P. Extremes. I've flown this motor in a comparable weight plane before with the same pack with no issues. I'll be way overpowered for this plane so I think I'll use an 11x7E or smaller prop instead of the normal 12x6E to lower the amps a bit. AUW came out at 45.0 ounces.

I don't think hand launching will be a problem at all as long as you're not marginally powered.

Joe