HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2007, 07:20 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Discussion
Hyperion 25e Piper Cub Questions.

First of all I really haven't seen much on this plane but did see a post regarding not thinking the Power 15 would be enough motor. That has me totally confused as the plane according to the MFG weighs max of 48oz with the recommended motor that as near as I can tell by the Hyperion Specs produces less watts than my Power 10 which MFG says produces 323W with a 11 X 5.5 E prop and 357W with 12 X 6 E Prop. Some quick calcs based on those figures indicates the Power 10 would give me 108W/lb with the 11 X 5.5 and 119W/lb with the 12 X 6 figuring a AUW of 48oz. Hardly a underpowered Piper Cub. Am I missing something here or just why would you need more power than the Power 10 I am thinking of using???? Would like any comments from someone now flying the plane with the recommended or what ever motor as to flight performance and flight characteristics before I order. Thanks.....
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2007, 10:20 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
NO ONE?????
boomer
Old Aug 05, 2007, 07:53 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,247 Posts
You're right Boomer. Not much being said about the plane yet despite a thread in the scale forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640472 where a bunch of people got the plane but few have actually built it yet. There was a very small discussion about the E-Flight Power 10 and 15 as well.

I just got started on mine last night and I'm very impressed so far and I don't usually buy bARF's. I'll be using a Hacker A30-16M in mine for around 300 watts. That should haul the bird around just fine. I've already flown this motor 3S1P 2200mah so that will save a lot of weight over a 2P or a large mah pack configuration. I may go ahead and run 3S2P anyway just to have the super long flight times.

With my present rate of project completions I should have this done in about two months.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Aug 05, 2007, 08:23 AM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
I've built and flown it. It's a nice looking Cub. Flies pretty heavy but the flaps work well for landing. Haven't tried them yet for takeoffs but they're hardly necessary...throttle up and hang on. I used a servo for each flap for nice even and crisp control.

Matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Aug 05, 2007, 08:28 AM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
TurboJoe,

I saw your query about blind nuts in the firewall. I used washers on that backside of the motor mount. Stacked two high, one big one and one little one. Big one spreads the load and little one keeps the head from going through the hole in the big one. Not sure if the blind nut 'hooks' would dig into the fiberglass or not. Be interested to hear if they do.

She doesn't fly very cub-like because of the high wing loading. You'll always be on the move and pretty quickly too. Definitely not a floater but fun to fly none the less. Really the first plane I've had where I just do circuits around the field. No loops, no rolls...nothing fancy.

Matt
Old Aug 05, 2007, 12:07 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Thanks Guys! I have enough high wing loaded planes already. Maybe I'll pass on this one. Thanks!
boomer
Old Aug 05, 2007, 12:11 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,247 Posts
Matt,

I just laminated two pieces of 1/4" ply to make my spacers and went ahead and installed the blind nuts. No problems at all. They dug right through the fiberglass without cracking. I can't believe they go as far as to laminate the firewall for strength and then expect you to use wood screws to hold a 250-400 watt motor in place. So far that's the only stupid thing I've found.

How is it at slower speeds? I understand Cubs like to tip stall. This is only the second Cub I've had in over 20 years and I don't remember ever flying the first one. I think I sold it. I used to build and sell kit planes back when you could make a few bucks doing it. Back before ARF's were any good.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Aug 05, 2007, 02:34 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
At slower speeds you'll be descending.
Old Aug 05, 2007, 04:55 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
I scrapped the 10e cub because it flew so unscale like and the covering was so badly wrinkled it took me 6 hours to get it smooth! Guess maybe I'll just skip Hyperion. I still have 30 flyable planes but was kind of looking for something to put the 300+W Power 10 in.
boomer
Old Aug 05, 2007, 07:33 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I do like it. A floater she is not, though.

Matt
Old Aug 05, 2007, 07:39 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattalbr
Don't get me wrong, I do like it. A floater she is not, though.

Matt
Even with the flaps?
gsk11740 is offline Find More Posts by gsk11740
Old Aug 05, 2007, 08:13 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Slows down to a decent landing speed with the flaps deployed. It may not be that bad...it's simply the heaviest plane I currently fly. Next closest is the ExtremeFlight Extra (33oz).

As comparison, Pat Tritle's 60" ws Cub RTF weight is around 25 oz. I think that would be a docile flyer.

Matt
Old Aug 06, 2007, 05:09 AM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattalbr
Slows down to a decent landing speed with the flaps deployed. It may not be that bad...it's simply the heaviest plane I currently fly. Next closest is the ExtremeFlight Extra (33oz).

As comparison, Pat Tritle's 60" ws Cub RTF weight is around 25 oz. I think that would be a docile flyer.

Matt
Thanks Matt.

The Hyperion J3 Cub sounds like my Goldberg Husky. The Husky is a fairly small plane but heavy and has to fly fast to stay in the air. Does not fly scale at all. It has flaps too and they are absolutely mandatory to get it to slow down. I got tired of flying that one really quick and it's now retired to hanger queen duty. It sure did look nice though.

Well, let me get this thing put together so I can see what I have.

Gary.
gsk11740 is offline Find More Posts by gsk11740
Old Aug 06, 2007, 05:28 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
I think I'll go with the VMAR Cub. Looks good and much lighter wing loadlng!
I'll go to a smaller prop but will be a bit overpowered. Nothing wrong with a vertical cub.
boomer
Old Aug 06, 2007, 10:06 AM
Joined Jun 2006
158 Posts
Hyperion Cub 25E

I have the Hyperion 25E and the world models 48" cubs. My 25 is using an Eflite power 10, Airbos 35, apc 12X6E, 600ma flight pack and a hyperion 2100 16C lipo. I used cs-12 servos from tower hobbies with a MG on the rudder.

First off let me say this plane is a dream to fly. I never get over 1/2 throttle even on takeoff since it does not suffer from the "cub ground dance" that many other models seem to. I've mixed in down elevator for 50% and 100% flap settings but i've found it easier to land with no flaps.

This power setup requires some management as wot static is 42 amps but who wants to 3d a cub I've found that high rates which are close to factory recommended do very well. My low rates at 60% made it harder to fly. The plane flys well in 12 to 15 mph but is much more fun below 10 mph. The landing gear is very well designed which is a nice change from other Hyperion models I've flown and my worst "carrier" landing did nothing more than pop the o rings between the LG braces. Larger main wheels would be better on grass fields.

The WM 48" uses an eflite park 450 with a custom made firewall and spacers. Ultrafly 25Amp esc and either hyperion or TP 2100 lipos finish the power train. I've fogotten which apc slow flyer prop i put on it but its a 9" i believe. The WM cub can literally fly 30 min at half throttle in gentle wind which is nice when i'm ribbing the slimers about their dead stick landings when they run out of fuel.

Both of these planes need plenty of roll on the alierons and a high deflection on the rudder. I mixed up elevator with rudder on the hyperion and it made it alot easier to fly.

I have lots of planes in a mix of electric as well as glow but these 2 are hands down my favorites. I doubt you can go wrong with either one.
garlonbs is offline Find More Posts by garlonbs