HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by MULLETED, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 03, 2007, 03:51 PM
windbagger
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2007
16 Posts
Discussion
one step forward, two steps back....sigh

Okay,
With this weeks 5 mins of allowed model time I managed to bust the hull of the monsoon
In the process of fiddling I managed to hook my sleeve around the rudder and crack the rudder post...charming.
Not being smart enough to take the hint and call it a day I continued messing around trying more rigging ideas and left the ballast unsupported on the fin all afternoon. BAD MOVE!
While occupied elsewhere I heard an almighty CRACK, and, yep - you guessed it - busted the fin box...sigh.
So now I have stripped the hull down to affect repairs.
It seems that the glass job on the monsoon was done on a friday arvo as it has none of the care or quality finish of the Surmount.
On closer inspection the glass was insufficiently laminated in filler resin and the cloth has begun to delaminate...not happy!
Most things in fibreglass are an easy (if unpleasant) fix....just not delaminating.
I have cut a new forward hatch to allow access to the fin box and an aft hatch to access the rudder post, time to attempt repairs.
As this hull will never race, the weight increase is no problem, but jeez I am peeved!
Attached are photos of the less than acceptable glass job on the monsoon prior to my attempts to fix.
My repairs will probably amount to adding rovings to the keel box with a deck beam spanning both chainplates and mast foot to stiffen the deck while I am at it.
Now that I have had to regress this far I am thinking of replacing the sail winch with a pair of sail arm servos for sail control...silver lining??
I found some decals that seem to suit the colour scheme of the surmount (integra/accura 1:10 car left-overs) so bunged them on.
The lake next door was nearly deep enough to sail in this week (15") but must have sprung a leak, as I checked it the day after our last heavy rains and it was nearly dry...again!
Up until the time I purchased these follies the lake had more like 30" of water during winter...HE seems to be toying with me...
I think a trip to Jackadder lake (local IOM lake) looks to be the only answer...If HE drains this lake HE'LL have to deal with some peeved racers ...I have been avoiding this for 2 reasons;
i) Too many sailors to embarrass myself in front of and, more importantly,
ii) The home (along with Herdsman lake) of more Tiger Snakes (very poisionous and very cranky) than I want to see in one place. Its been a long, long time since I have been neck deep in either (crikey...more than 25 yrs ) so things have probably changed....guess I will find out....but boy, those Tigers used to put the wind up me , the only snakes I have come across that actually chased me. So okay I AM a coward!
MULLETED is offline Find More Posts by MULLETED
Last edited by MULLETED; Aug 03, 2007 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added photos
to remove ads between posts