SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Aug 04, 2007, 03:41 PM
Custom Rekitter
Carlsbad, NM
Joined Jun 2007
116 Posts
heli46-- I also had a Futaba system in 2000. My trainer crashed on first flight with senior ctizen w 40 yrs experience at the controls. He said send this back and get a JR. I did and have been happy ever since. My 8103 grooves on XPS.
parkerm@warpdriv is offline Find More Posts by parkerm@warpdriv
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2007, 07:26 PM
Gainesville, FL
Joined Jun 2004
168 Posts
It could very well be that the field has a microwave comm link passing through it from a remote FAA communications relay. These beams are very strong and localized. Also, it could be just chance for someone to fly through it, depending on where it bisects the field.

It could also be a buncha mung (my opinion).

I'd let the AMA investigate this and see what they come up with.

A call to the local FAA FSS might shed some light on the possibility of a microwave link.
ErichF is offline Find More Posts by ErichF
Old Aug 05, 2007, 07:39 PM
Joined Jul 2005
287 Posts
I'll be at the AMA flying field this coming weekend at the IRCHA Jamboree.. with how many hundred heli pilots around me? I'll be the one grinning from ear to ear about the lack of need for worry of interference..

Whoever that guy was sounded an AWFUL lot like he either was oblivious to what he was talking about, or just a propagandist. Someone tell me that Spektrum and Futaba have had NO problems... please, tell me!

Waiting..
iflybyu77 is offline Find More Posts by iflybyu77
Old Aug 05, 2007, 08:55 PM
Dick Corby
Enumclaw, Washington
Joined Sep 2004
681 Posts
Been flying my XPS since April when I first got my hands on it. Have flown at our local field in Sumner, Zilah, and at Mollalla oregon. Probably over 100 flights, on 4 different receivers. (Hate to keep changing receivers and have 12 planes)

Never have had a problem since the changeover. But have had a lot of questions about the system. I've had to start carrying the specs in my flightbox to keep from spending more time explaining than flying.

But the most disconcerting thing is the guys that have read all the negative feedback, and this sure isn't going to help. I had one guy tell me he was able to cause interferance on 2 different DX-6 systems with his 72 MHZ transmitter. Asked him to try it with my system, but Gee! he didnt have that transmitter with him that day.

I have also heard that there are club fields that won't allow any 2.4 systems to be used, no matter what manufacturer. By the same token there are some club fields where you can't fly Li-Po batteries in your electric plane. Whether AMA backs this stance, I have no clue.

I just hope this will go away soon, but doubt it. There are a lot of FM systems out there, and its easier and cheaper to run down the new technology than to upgrade.
altacom is offline Find More Posts by altacom
Old Aug 05, 2007, 09:16 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
If the they want to be smart about it they work to limit this type of behaviour. There are instances when I can understand not allowing turbines or giant scale due to location but these clubs are doing the hobby and AMA a great disservice. No wonder people are not joining, when this is the type of attitude they have to deal with.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Aug 06, 2007, 12:59 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
From here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...tm.htm#6172850

Quote:
...The XPS receiver ejected from the plane on impact and appears to have no damage...
Phew! That's a relief :lol:
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Aug 06, 2007, 08:19 AM
Fly Backwards
Pittsburg KS, USA
Joined Dec 2000
810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
...The XPS receiver ejected from the plane on impact and appears to have no damage...

Phew! That's a relief :lol:

That proves that the XPS receiver was responsible for the crash, how else would it have known when to eject?
hcopter is offline Find More Posts by hcopter
Old Aug 06, 2007, 08:47 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,845 Posts
How do you manage to get all 10 servo plugs to come unplugged at the exact same time and have the receiver (which should be securely mounted) ejected during a crash? That tells me that these plugs were not fully inserted and the receiver was not secured. That receiver should have burned with the rest of the plane.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2007, 11:44 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Aug 2005
337 Posts
Thanks for the laugh hcopter
ddierking is offline Find More Posts by ddierking
Old Aug 06, 2007, 12:16 PM
Joined Jul 2005
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
How do you manage to get all 10 servo plugs to come unplugged at the exact same time and have the receiver (which should be securely mounted) ejected during a crash? That tells me that these plugs were not fully inserted and the receiver was not secured. That receiver should have burned with the rest of the plane.
I thought about that too.. Good point. Who'd have thunk it?
iflybyu77 is offline Find More Posts by iflybyu77
Old Aug 06, 2007, 01:54 PM
Fly Backwards
Pittsburg KS, USA
Joined Dec 2000
810 Posts
I too would say it's unlikely that the Rx could come out, except that a couple years ago I crashed my Raptor 30 during a heli drag race and the JR Rx minus the antenna and crystal came to rest against a spectator's foot along the flight line about 50 ft from the crash site. We found the crystal after a short search. None of the servo leads were damaged after being yanked out of the Rx. Put the crystal back in, re-soldered the antenna to the board and have been using the Rx ever since.
hcopter is offline Find More Posts by hcopter
Old Aug 07, 2007, 03:41 PM
Lehi, UT
Joined Aug 2004
39 Posts
Rather or not there is an agenda here or not is not the biggest question in my mind. It is how Jim Drew and company respond that has my attention. Do they go with the lawyers or do they go down there prove there is no problem and provide over the top service (or even find and address the problem)? I certainly hope the latter is chosen as the former would leave a bad taste in my mouth.. Proving there is no problem at that field would surely embaress anybody with an agenda
oneinnesja is offline Find More Posts by oneinnesja
Old Aug 07, 2007, 04:12 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Personally I would do both. He would certainly get a phone call from my attorney because of the way it was handled. Keep in mind from what has been said what was posted in public is apparently only half of what is actually happening. Then I would take the first opportunity to go and prove whether that there likely isnt an issue.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Aug 07, 2007, 04:22 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2007
9 Posts
I'm not a big experienced modelist (13 years passion nevertheless), but i can tell you that i have seen too many crashs that were due to the pilots (bad pilots, bad knowledge on how a plane flies, simply not able to recognise their fault...). But the radio equipement as benn said as responsible too many times as it was clear it wasn't

And it's look like it's still the case all over the world...

Gilles
gdutruy@hotmail. is offline Find More Posts by gdutruy@hotmail.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 04:53 PM
Altamonte Springs, FL
Joined Nov 2004
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcopter
That proves that the XPS receiver was responsible for the crash, how else would it have known when to eject?
This is an undocumented feature...all great companies have that, you know?
Driver330 is offline Find More Posts by Driver330
Closed Thread