SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2007, 01:04 AM
Joined Aug 2007
20 Posts
Discussion
XPS Xtremelink banned from an AMA event?

I read in California an AMA event is prohibiting Xtremelink because of a bunch of crashes. Anyone know any background of what the problem is?
firstmanson is offline Find More Posts by firstmanson
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2007, 01:48 AM
Joined Sep 2004
71 Posts
I find this highly unlikely as there hasn't been a "bunch of crashes" of XPS equipped aircraft. Sounds like tripe to me.

So where specifically did you read this information?
SpadZombie is offline Find More Posts by SpadZombie
Old Aug 03, 2007, 02:32 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstmanson
I read in California an AMA event is prohibiting Xtremelink because of a bunch of crashes. Anyone know any background of what the problem is?
Well, where did you read it? Reference? RC Groups is not an "authority", but we do like references.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Aug 03, 2007, 03:12 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,593 Posts
Posts = 1....wonder who would stoop so low? as to spread that garbage.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Aug 03, 2007, 06:02 AM
Joined Jan 2007
38 Posts
Please visit the following post for more detail.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6172850

JasonP
JasonP is offline Find More Posts by JasonP
Old Aug 03, 2007, 10:39 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,917 Posts
Of course, we have received no response from anyone associated with this event, and there has been no AMA ban as of yesterday, or Steve Kaluf at the AMA would have told me so.

Since that was posted, we have had numerous Spektrum and 72MHz people who have had crashes in that area come forward to say that something else (political) is going on. We have asked the AMA to look into that site as it sits nearby a major airport, having a lot of various radar and other high powered RF equipment. It is commonly known to be a field where a lot of unexplained lockouts (on all frequencies) have occurred. We have had one single crash unexplained, one momentary lockout that resulted in the pilot freaking out and landing with his gear up, and a few drop out that resulted in no problems. Those are the facts. With the level of spam going on behind the scenes, we must be really ticking off the competition with the volume of units that we have sold.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2007, 12:33 PM
Joined Aug 2007
20 Posts
Wow I guess what I heard is true.

Sorry I did not mean that the AMA had banned anything but it was an AMA event that banned Xtremelink Got to be safe with turbines I suspect.

Having read those threads I don't think joe panicked, I saw him fly once on video, if he is the same guy I think he is he is a very good pilot, 3D and IMAC included.
Old Aug 03, 2007, 12:38 PM
Joined Aug 2007
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60
Posts = 1....wonder who would stoop so low? as to spread that garbage.
Might want to fact check before you start flaming.

Old Aug 03, 2007, 01:33 PM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
Got a lot of 1 to 3 post experts in this thread.........
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 03, 2007, 02:25 PM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjpaul
Got a lot of 1 to 3 post experts in this thread.........
You can go read the link, has nothing to do with how many posts a person has. OP's info was good, he didn't offer any judgment, people have been supplying that on their own.

As far as the greater issue goes, I expect a certain amount of insanity regarding spread spectrum radios as time goes on. There will be crashes with SS systems on board, and people will blame them on the radio just like they have always done, no matter what the cause actually was. Since my club has very few members with any SS equipment, I'm not sure if I'll get harassed when I bring mine to the field.
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen
Old Aug 03, 2007, 03:15 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,593 Posts
The link wasn't there when I posted. at least one of the persons writing about a problem just can't let go and will continue bad mouthing XPS until the bitter end. If the link was there I may have looked. Since it wasn't and the poster was a one post wonder at the time, I jumped to what seemed to be an obvious conclusion. Guess I was wrong but it still seems funny to me that conclusions are "Gee, the module caused the problem" other setup "They determined it wasn't the radio". You know it takes a lot of analysis and info not often available to prove or disprove what caused a problem. The "experts" have not been right all the time, in history. I will wait and see and think banning one brand has to be politically motivated at this time. Just my thoughts, and I may have to eat my words but that is what I believe.

"Banned from an AMA event" Yep, just the facts, nothing but the facts! No hype there!
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Aug 03, 2007, 03:26 PM
Joined Dec 2004
44 Posts
2.4 GHZ or any RC system

Question, if a system is type accepted by the FCC for RC use, can it be banned from use?
pile-o-wood is offline Find More Posts by pile-o-wood
Old Aug 03, 2007, 03:43 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,917 Posts
No, not legally.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2007, 04:06 PM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
No, not legally.
Well.... I don't believe that is exactly true. A club can restrict what can fly at there field.... for example some clubs very stupidly ban RC Helicopters.........

But the issue here would be that the club president through his postings in multiple on-line forums may have through incomplete or incorrect information damaged the reputation of XPS........ if that results in a financial loss to XPS the lawyers will probably get involved and even though the AMA insurance policies somewhat protect club officers, I would think they will want no part of this and the club and it's president will be hung out to dry.

Sad but this is the way things go in our litigious society.

Brad
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 03, 2007, 05:04 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Considering that the AMA has put their stamp of approval on the XPS system, the club may not have a leg to stand on when the legal fecal missles hit the spinning blades.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot