HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SPasierb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 02, 2007, 08:29 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,225 Posts
Discussion
A Hornet that became a Phoenix

More photos than words here. I'm happy to report that my beloved Hornet from www.warbirdkits.com is back among the living. If I had to choose one favorite plane, this would probably be it. It's just spectacular in the air and a joy to fly. Through its many years, the original 3S 2200 Polyquest li-ion (first generation -- red wrap) had been trusty and dependable. On this day it reached its limit. In the back of my mind I knew the battery should be replaced -- too bad I failed to act.

Following a great flight and perfect landing, I noticed some slight whiffs of smoke where the fuse meets the wing. I picked it up and headed to the pits at a fast pace hoping is was a speed-control issue, but fearing it was the battery. Half way there all broke loose with a sound like a bottle rocket taking off -- and -- let's just say I haven't run that fast in years. The battery erupted. We threw caution to the wind, took off the wing and yanked out the burning LiPo pieces with a big hemostat (the wind was blowing quite hard, so nobody took any smoke). Thanks to the crew at New Canaan R/C club for helping -- especially Bob Morrow.

The following photos show the crispy aftermath as well as highlights from the rebuild. I'm happy to report that the Hornet flew again this past Sunday 7/29.

With fresh firmware and refined settings in the CC25 controllers and a brand new Polyquest 2500 20C pack, it came to life like never before. Power is a pair of Mega 5-turn inrunners with 7x5 APC e-props.

This hobby can bring an amazing blend of deep lows and great highs. My beloved Hornet has provided both...
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Last edited by SPasierb; Oct 18, 2007 at 08:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2007, 03:36 AM
Fly cheap-gliders arr :)
Bratislava - Europe
Joined May 2007
99 Posts
Huh

You are lucky that the batery did not blow in some way - that could make some serious injury's
kakao is offline Find More Posts by kakao
Old Aug 08, 2007, 10:16 AM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,225 Posts
Essentially it did -- the middle cell burst and all of the fan-folded copper plates expanded out. That was the "bottle rocket" sound. Nasty stuff. One experience I don't want to go through again.
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb