HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SPasierb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 02, 2007, 03:14 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,254 Posts
Discussion
Friends don't let friends fly foam

They have to go. They were a blast to fly, but I just don't feel right bringing a hunk of painted foam board out to the field that "looks" like an airplane, but just isn't. The HellRaiser, 3D Tiburon and on and on -- farewell all. Hovering simply ain't for me. I don't begrudge anyone who want's to fly these, they just don't have a place in my fleet anymore.

Beyond the "flat" airplanes -- that ironically fly 3D and 4D --there's the whole GWS and other foam plane world. I'm not against ARF's, affordable airframes and the like, they're bringing new people to our wonderful hobby, but GWS has got to stand for: God's Worst Styrofoam. Lousy plane with an orange propeller. Is this the best we can do people? I think not.

I am a fan of the Alfa Models line. Well though-out, beautiful, and excellent flight performance. Flying Styro is another, particularly because they skew more to a "modeler" permitting one to go nuts with the detailing. They don't fly as well as the Alfa's and are less durable, but boy do they look nice in the air!

And as I continue to cave-in against the weight my own weak-ass thesis, the Easy Star and the like are an absolute godsend for new pilots. We're directing all the new guys in our club to buy these as trainers. They're having a blast and learning fast. Many more successes than with the typical trainer aircraft.

Okay, no foamies except Alfa, except FSK, except....

Give me some wood, some fiiberglass, some Silkspan (yes, he did just type that) and even some Monokote!

Just stirring up the pot on a quiet Thursday afternoon. Asbestos pants ready, flame on guys...
SPasierb is online now Find More Posts by SPasierb
Last edited by SPasierb; Aug 02, 2007 at 03:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2007, 04:06 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,254 Posts
Holy Mole! I just realized that I'm deeply in love with my Tensor. That one has got to stay! Jeeze, I'm my own worst enemy here!
SPasierb is online now Find More Posts by SPasierb