SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2008, 04:09 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
I did cut a hole in the firewall. I used a Hyperion alloy motor mount, and basically cut out everything between the feet of the mount. I put in a bit of ply to act as a battery mount, and a bit of dowel through some of the holes in the motor mount to stop the battery hitting the back of the motor.

But before doing that, I'd be inclined to find out where you're going to have to put the battery to get balance. If you put as much as possible of the gear in the cowling, you might be able to leave the battery behind the firewall.

Or, as Sam did, just weight the nose till it balances. It's a big model, it's not really going to make much difference with the weight of the lead.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:42 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,747 Posts
Thanks for the back up Andrew !

You're right about it not making much of a difference..

I think I only added less than 6 oz to get her to balance...

9lbs 9 oz for me...that would seem to be heavy but it's a glass fuse and it's a scale model....and there's a lot more scale models out there that weigh in way heavier than this one percentage wise...
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Last edited by Tracon; Jan 29, 2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 06:52 AM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
wow not even close to 6 lbs! I hope I got the right motor for it (axi4120/14).
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old Jan 25, 2008, 06:59 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Well, the Hyperion in mine is very close in dimensions and wind, so it shouldn't be bad. I'm using a 4020-14, so 40mm stator diameter, 20mm stator depth, 14 turn. Yours is slightly larger at 41mm, so should have a fraction lower KV, but is going to be pretty close in everything else. I wouldn't worry too much… if you prop it for around a kW it'll be sweet.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 06:55 PM
United States, IN, Westfield
Joined Sep 2007
91 Posts
Andrew,

Did you use a Robart 650 for your nose gear? If you did, does it just slip over the original nose gear wire? If so what keeps it there? It looks from your picture that you have used the original nose gear hardware.

Thanks,
Lou
lperagallo is offline Find More Posts by lperagallo
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:01 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
I used another model Robart strut, but the mounting is the same. It's not actually the original wire, as I deemed that too soft, but it is the same gauge. The top of the strut is cut to length, there's an insert that matches the wire size that is pressed in, and then you either drill and tap a locking screw or, as I did, bond the wire in with an aggressive adhesive (epoxy or Loctite 650). The mounting hardware on the firewall is fine, decent quality nylon fittings, so I left that how it came.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 02:19 AM
I am the BBQ Ninja
United States, MN, Woodbury
Joined Jan 2003
3,721 Posts
Hey guys, I just ordered one, I should have it on Tuesday. I can't wait to start working on it.

Matt
Willmsy is offline Find More Posts by Willmsy
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:56 AM
United States, IN, Westfield
Joined Sep 2007
91 Posts
Andrew,

Hate to bother you again. Can you tell me which model Robart you used? Other then the Robart 654, that is a complete assembly, there is the 650 and 651L and 651R that seem to be similar except the 651 is an offset gear. There is quite a difference is cost between the 654 and the 650, but I want to make sure I get one that works. Since I've already mounted the stock gear, just replacing the wire would be nice rather then having to replace the whole gear and linkage.

Thanks,
Lou
lperagallo is offline Find More Posts by lperagallo
Old Jan 27, 2008, 04:18 PM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
I think I ended up with a 651R, but left handed will work just as well. You have to do a bit of digging around with a dremel in the top of the wheel pant to get it on, and the assembly is fiddly, but it does work. I'm pretty sure the 650 is going to give you a problem, since the wheel will not be centered under the bearing block.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:39 PM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
Grats to you Willmsy! It's a very nice kit for the price I think. I'm about done with installing the tails. Still haven't totally put the wing together yet. Thinking about putting lights in them. Once you glue the tips of the wing on it would be hard to run the wires for the lights later. But first I have to find where I can get some.

Danny
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:19 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
United States, MN, Woodbury
Joined Jan 2003
3,721 Posts
I have a question for you guys. How many servo's are you running? 5 or 6?

Thanks,

Matt
Willmsy is offline Find More Posts by Willmsy
Old Jan 29, 2008, 03:07 PM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
6, 4 hitec hs-81 for the wing and 2 standard for rudder and elev. Lighten it up a bit.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:30 PM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,133 Posts
Gentlemen!

Will this plane fly on a HXT 50-55B 600kv Brushless Outrunner