HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2007, 11:10 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,695 Posts
Sounds good...

I pull 33 amps with 6s 5000 14 X 10 APC..
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2007, 05:16 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
On 5s 3700 with a 14x10 I get 67A (1340W) on a 4020-10 (on another plane) and just over 60 (1200W) on the 4020-14 in the Cessna. So I've got plenty of power on it.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Oct 28, 2007, 07:35 PM
Pushing the Limits of FFF
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jun 2005
1,165 Posts
I just picked one of these up, and man they are a lot of work to get in the air. Tracon, yours looks great, The lighting system makes you beleive that you are looking at the real thing. What is the brand of lighting system that you installed.

John
wirbech is offline Find More Posts by wirbech
Last edited by wirbech; Nov 07, 2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 08:35 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,695 Posts
Hi John,

Sorry it took a bit to get back to you, I bought my lights from a guy down in the States called "Lazertoyz"

Really good guy to deal with...

Here's the link:

http://www.ncweb.com/biz/dan/RCLights.html

Have fun,

Sam
Old Oct 29, 2007, 08:05 PM
Pushing the Limits of FFF
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jun 2005
1,165 Posts
Thanks, I will check them out.

John
wirbech is offline Find More Posts by wirbech
Old Nov 06, 2007, 07:39 PM
United States, IN, Westfield
Joined Sep 2007
91 Posts
Tracon,

I noticed in an earlier post that you mentioned epoxying the wing together. Can you share with me what you did and how you did it. If a build thread is posted other then this one, please let me know where I can find it.

This is my first plane build and I need as much help as possible. I've been flying Helis for a couple of years and decided to try a plane after not flying a model for 30 years.

Thanks,
Lou
lperagallo is offline Find More Posts by lperagallo
Old Nov 06, 2007, 09:13 PM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
I strongly, strongly suggest you do a bit of flying on something else first, or at least get someone current to maiden it for you and coach you a bit for a while. This isn't a hard model to fly, but it's no trainer... everything happens pretty fast.
Old Nov 07, 2007, 05:01 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,695 Posts
I totally agree with Andrew, this plane needs to be flown very scale like...if you let it slow down too much...she'll tip stall and be into the ground before you can say rutabaga !!! Or should I say turnip !!!

Same thing...

As for epoxying the wings together, just apply a thin coat of epoxy to all the joints before putting the wings together like you normally would...

Good Luck !

Sam
Old Nov 07, 2007, 07:56 PM
United States, IN, Westfield
Joined Sep 2007
91 Posts
Sam and Andrew,

Thanks for the info. I have flown planes before, I just haven't done it in a long time. I fly full size, but haven't done that in awhile either. I have a realflight sim and fly that quite a bit. Mostly helis, but now the Cessna.

Sam, since I don't have teh model yet, I still don't understand the epoxy wing thing. Are you making a solid wing 65" long or are you epoxying the tubes? Do you have any pictures of what you were talking about?

Thanks,
Lou
lperagallo is offline Find More Posts by lperagallo
Old Nov 07, 2007, 08:03 PM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
The wing is in 3 pieces normally, so yes, you're making a full span wing. I never take mine apart anyway, as it's a complicated enough model to put together at the field anyway.
Old Nov 07, 2007, 08:39 PM
Joined Aug 2007
47 Posts
has anyone ascertained why it suffers so badly with tip stalling at low speed?

Is it something that could be easily tweaked (other than flying faster..)

Personally I want to float it around more than scorch the skies, making her look more full size than a model - holding partial flap when cruising help?

The wing tip design presumably isnt efficient enough in scaring off this nasty habit - any aerodynamacist experienced enough in putting this gremlin back in the box? - I used to know just the man - Frank Costin (yes brother of the Cosworth Costin) - sadly I believe no longer with us. - Anyone?
JeanLucPicard is offline Find More Posts by JeanLucPicard
Old Nov 07, 2007, 09:51 PM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Mine slows down very nicely.

I suspect it's rudder trim.

Try what I did: tape two equal length bits of string, one to each wingtip. Now trim the rudder so it glides with the tail centred between the strings. Then set up a throttle to rudder mix so it also cruises with the tail centred (that will take retrimming it for cruise and counting the trim clicks, then setting up the mix by measuring throws on the ground). That should keep the plane coordinated all the time so you don't get unequal wingloadings from torque reaction when you try to go around.

If I didn't stomp fairly hard on the rudder pedal in a fullsize Archer, it would get severely upset during a go-around, and Cessnas are reputed to need more. Wing-drop stalling is normal in fullsize planes, and scale models tend to have the same quirks as the real thing... it's just you have a turn coordinator on board so you know what's going on fullsize.

I guess a rate gyro set up as a yaw damper would help too, but I've not tried that.
Old Nov 08, 2007, 12:39 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,695 Posts
Here's some pictures here:

http://teamtracon.netfirms.com/aircr...lbum=24&page=2

Sam
Old Jan 23, 2008, 07:26 AM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
Hey Sam, I'm gona go with axi 4120/14. What do you think?

Which robart struts (model number) was that you have use so I can order mine?

Do you have pictures of the hole in the firewall for the battery pack , that would be helpful for me.

I was think of using some HS-81 for the flaps and ailerons to lighten it up behind the CG. You think that would be enough for them? I had a Hobbylobby 182 before and notice that this plane needs alot of weight in front to blance it. Those standard servos are like a rock.

Danny
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:45 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,695 Posts
I didn't cut a hole in my firewall...

I added a bit of lead to the fire wall to balance...

The 4120 may be enough, not really sure because I went with the 4130/16 and it has tons of power...

Robart 654 nose strut...

Sam