HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2007, 08:30 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Tracon
The Cessna looks fantastic, and sounds like a great flyer! Hope you bring it out to Chilliwack next year. All the best.
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:11 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
Thanks Jag,

I was just talking to Beverly about going out to Chilliwack this fall/winter...

On a weekend to try and meet up with some of you guys for a day of flying...

Is there a few people there on the weekends if the weather is good ???

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:01 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,908 Posts
Sam,

I got my Robostrut in yesterday and fitted a 2.5' dubro to it. It looks good, but there is a lot of space on each side of the the rim. What did you use to "lock" the wheel so it doesn't shift from side to side?
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:34 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
Cut some fuel tubing for each side and pull it over the axle ...this will also help as a bit of a brake...

Sam
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:55 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
There's usually a handfull on weekends, but not many. Sunday is usually the better of the two days. Hope to see you.
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:06 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracon
Cut some fuel tubing for each side and pull it over the axle ...this will also help as a bit of a brake...

Sam

Roger that! Thanks Sam
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:57 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6 Posts
CMP ELCT. Conversion

Howdy Guys, I'm kind of new to this, but I've been sitting back waiting for some one to come up with a serious glider tow plane,one that will work at least as good as the Taxi II for a lot cheaper. I'm going to try do it with CMP's Cessna 182 Sky lane, and using electric power. I'll be using an Axi 5345/16 motor, a Jeti advance 90 plus, two 10s 4p 8000 mAh Thunder Power li po's. I'm looking to tow at least 4 to 6 meter ships of about 12 to 18 lbs. to 4 to 5 hundred feet at least 4 to 5 times before recharging. I have every thing going good now and am waiting for the robo strut, as they are out of stock.(all you guy's beefing yours up left'em out of stock) I'm going to try to cut the wheel pants up a little higher and put larger wheels so I can operate in grass, you know scale ships don't like scratches on the fuse. when they land. Cant wait to get this one in the air, as I have a couple of 4 & 5 meter ships of my own that have never been up. Keep'em flying!
hitem is offline Find More Posts by hitem
Old Sep 29, 2007, 07:09 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,908 Posts
Cessna Tow Plane

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! Good Luck and keep us posted!

Steve
Old Sep 29, 2007, 06:21 PM
Joined Aug 2007
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracon
Lipos are a must...

This isn't a trainer...very unforgiving in many cases...

Fly an LT 40 for a while before stepping up to this...

Sam
Oh Sam, dont put me off too much, quite desperate to build this..!

In what way is it unforgiving, particularly now you have tamed the flaps with some elevator mix?

Just seen an article on new battery technology, incl Kong Lipos, which are far more forgiving than normal ones.

Have you considered adding a sound unit (c. 7ozs) - would it take it with the lipos?

I know I am a bit of a dreamer / perfectionist - I promise to do some training in more basic wing, rudder & elevator control machines as i build her up - I will incl full lights and heavy duty u/c

Are there any fundamental weaknesses as in other CMPro products (Discus is getting terrible press and the big Cessna too..)
JeanLucPicard is offline Find More Posts by JeanLucPicard
Old Sep 29, 2007, 06:40 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Don't buy this as your first aileron model, that's all. Get used to landing something like a traditional glow trainer, with trike gear and ailerons, first.

The Cessna has to be flown vey precisely, because it's stall and spin behaviour are quite uncompromising. Its ground handling is difficult, too... if you don't make your landing or takeoff roll dead straight, it tends to nose-over. Both these are just consequences of being an accurate scale C182... the full-size machine behaves very similarly, it's just that it's very easy to do a dead straight takeoff in a full-size plane with tricycle gear.

I don't think there is any fundamental weakness in the model, except for the nose gear (I'd just automatically change any wire components in a CMPro kit's landing gear... they don't use good enough wire).
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Sep 29, 2007, 06:47 PM
Joined Aug 2007
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor
Don't buy this as your first aileron model, that's all. Get used to landing something like a traditional glow trainer, with trike gear and ailerons, first.

The Cessna has to be flown vey precisely, because it's stall and spin behaviour are quite uncompromising. Its ground handling is difficult, too... if you don't make your landing or takeoff roll dead straight, it tends to nose-over. Both these are just consequences of being an accurate scale C182... the full-size machine behaves very similarly, it's just that it's very easy to do a dead straight takeoff in a full-size plane with tricycle gear.

I don't think there is any fundamental weakness in the model, except for the nose gear (I'd just automatically change any wire components in a CMPro kit's landing gear... they don't use good enough wire).
hi thanks for quick reply - could the ground handling be improved with bigger wheels and angling front strut forwards to deter nose overs?

Anybody tried moving COG to help with stall / spin recovery?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 07:28 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
I haven't spun mine yet....

If I did, I'll do it about 8 mistakes high...

This is a scale plane and it should be flown as scale as possible....

Good Luck...

Sam
Old Sep 29, 2007, 07:45 PM
Buckley wa
Joined Mar 2005
986 Posts
Sam

How far are you from Seattle...?
mediq is offline Find More Posts by mediq
Old Sep 29, 2007, 08:11 PM
Joined Aug 2007
47 Posts
do you think angling front strut forward a little would prevent nose-overs?

incidentally would you consider the art-tech cessna 182 4 channel to be a suitable trainer? - I have flown a couple of hours on a rudder and throttle 16" Cub and thats it so far - The Art-Tech fans are all saying it should be ok to learn with - if so, will it be enough to graduate on to my beloved CMP 182?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:44 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
The art-tech is a nice model. If you can reliably fly that, yes, you'll probably be OK with the CMP. It would be a good idea to get someone really experienced to maiden the CMP.

The nose-over potential isn't really a problem... just taxi very slowly, and choose pretty flat lines to taxi and especially for takeoff and landing. That means you need to practice precision landings with the art-tech first, both line and length. If you can get that to touch within a meter of where you intended most times, you're about right. If you watch people taxiing fullsize Cessnas, they always go fairly slowly and especially while turning, for exactly the same reason. Fly it in scale style and you'll be right.

It stalls pretty cleanly, usually drops the left wing. I haven't spun it either, but I imagine recovery might take several hundred feet... the fullsize plane takes over a thousand feet to enter a spin and fully recover to level flight.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor