HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:23 PM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
422 Posts
...and for those of you less concerned with the airframe here's what'll make her go:

Turnigy 5055-C400
Lightmax 5500 6s 40c /or 2x 3300 3s Turnigy Nano-tec's - much lighter and awesome packs!
80A Mystery ESC with 5A UBEC
Hitec HS-425BB in fuz and mini's in wing
13x8 3 blade prop
wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:29 PM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
422 Posts
Here it is...split the Brown with a bit of classic 'mustard' yellow and that is exactly what I am going to do.
Love the classic wheel spats and leading edge boot or boot look.
Yeah unless something better comes along ( send me your pics uif you have a classic Skylane) this is my new color scheme and finish:
wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:46 AM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
I am late to the party here Sam but beautiful plane!
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:05 AM
Joined Mar 2011
55 Posts
N 4723 p

Hi guys. Who can find a picture of Cessna 182 with tail number N 4723 P?
Tarolog is offline Find More Posts by Tarolog
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:19 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,324 Posts
Google is your friend. Typed in the number and up it popped. LINK

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:21 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,324 Posts
As is obvious from that picture it is a Cessna 152 not a 182. The tail number was originally assigned to a Piper PA-23 that crashed and was destroyed. FAA info HERE.

CMP obviously took some "creative license" when assigning a tail number to this model.

Joe
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:25 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,324 Posts
While this thread has been resurrected again is anyone in the Phoenix area looking for one of these models? Mine is still sitting here unfinished and just getting in the way. I haven't really put any effort into selling it. This thing is too big to play with shipping. If I sell it it will be LOCAL ONLY. Don't even ask to ship.

Joe
Old May 14, 2013, 04:32 PM
Racquetball Lives!
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Jul 2010
206 Posts
CMP Clone?

Value Hobby has a C-182 that looks exactly like the CMP model except the control surfaces are not ribbed and the nose wheel looks different (cheaper). Cost is $104 USD. Shipping and Handling to a US location was $23. I'll try to post my build findings as I go along. I'm finding that whoever wrote the manual is not likely the same person who designed the plane. If you want to use the manual, think of it more as a stepwise list of suggestions only as following it to the letter will get you in trouble fast--more on this later. There is so much binding in control operation that I'm going to redo all the controls. I plan to go with a Rimfire .80 (50-55 600kv) and the electrifly 60Amp HV silver series ESC. (I've used this combination turning an APC15x10E on a Great Planes Revolver (70") with no problems. I'll probably prop down to a 13 or 14" diameter for ground clearance though. Servos in fuse are Futaba 3152 digitals and servos in wing are Power HD 1711MG (17gram servos). Battery will be 4000Mah 5S2P 40C. While this is an ARF, it is definitely a builder's plane as it will need modded to construct and fly properly.

Dave
Backwall is offline Find More Posts by Backwall
Old May 15, 2013, 12:11 PM
Racquetball Lives!
Joined Jul 2010
206 Posts
Wing Servo Attachment

Well, here are a couple of shots of the servo arrangement in the wing (both ailerons, although flaps are same as well). In the first shot (provided by TRACON in an earlier post) you can see how the servo hatch is fairly wide and the pushrod is centered in the opening. The second shot is from the CMP clone. The servo hatch opening is much narrower and the pushrod is right up against the side of the opening. This is the hardware linkage provided with the kit. In fact, the easy link appears to be in line with the side of the opening. To even get the link to go in I had to sand the edge so normal servo movement would pull the link inside without catching on the edge. Okay, so it goes in and out--but not without some binding! The manual accompanying this plane recommended using Power HD 1711MG servos in the wing. And that's exactly what I used. I'm familiar with Power HD as I have used them in the past. They have pretty good torque, are fairly low priced, and so far have shown to be reliable. I've used the 1501MG, the 1711Mg, the 1705MG, and the P1900 (standard ,17gr, 17gr, and 9gr). So even though I used the recommended servo, it doesn't fit the servo hatch pocket very well. To get the pushrod centered, I had to do away with the easy link and go with a z-bend. Of course, with these short pushrods, I had to cut new, longer rods to make the z-bend. And then I cut a slot right along the side the the servo hatch opening where the binding occurred to get room for the top of the z-bend to move freely. I'll add thos pictures next time. The slot is quite small (not real noticable), but it does the job. And that's what's necessary. I considered getting out the trusty heat gun and softening up the plactic hatch and pushing down on the servo opening to make it wider, but went with the slot in the end. I didn't trust that I might slag the entire cover! More details will follow later concerning problems I then encountered with the tail pushrods.
Last edited by Backwall; May 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: note on provided linkage added
Old May 20, 2013, 09:10 AM
Racquetball Lives!
Joined Jul 2010
206 Posts
Servo Hookup

Got a little behind, but here's the result of doing the servo hookup according to the manual. By the manual, the servo closest to centerline is the elevator servo and the servo on the left side of the plane (facing forward) is the rudder servo. The rudder pushrod is connected to the outermost servo horn and exits out the rear of the fuselage on the right side. The nosewheel steering is connected to the same servo as the rudder on the servo horn closest to centerline. So let's see how that works. Rudder left, nosewheel right--ridder right, nosewheel left. That's great--if you follow the manual, you'll have the rudder and nosewheel working against each other. With left rudder, the plane will want to weathervane to the left while the nosewheel wants to turn the plane to the right. In other words, don't follow the manual. The nosewheel rudder setup described in the manual just won't work. And how about the length of those pushrods? As you can see the rudder pushrods barely makes it to the servo horn. To get any grip on it you would have to set the servo horn angle at somethng other than 90 degrees to make it fit, OR run the rudder pushrod out the left side instead of the right side of the fuselage. The nosewheels steering pushrod is pictured in the center and is way to long. But I would rather have to cut a rod down that try to make one longer! And that pushrod length on the elevator barely sticks out as well. So what could be done? I basically switched the controls to the other servo. Now the servo closest to centerline is my rudder servo and the leftmost servo is my elevator servo. I did reverse the elevator servo on the board where it screwed in to get the servo horn closer to centerline so I's get equal throws on the elevators. And I changed the rudder linkage from the right side to the left side. This was better, but I still didn't really like the rudder setup, so I went with a pull-pull arrangement. Photos of that will come later. That's why in an earlier post I said it might be better to refer to the manual as a suggested list of construction steps only. Remember, the pictures below show how the manual describes installation. Following them will not work. More to follow later.

Dave
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:35 AM
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Oct 2009
289 Posts
Did you finish the build?
headshot001 is offline Find More Posts by headshot001
Old Oct 22, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Mar 2011
55 Posts
my flight