SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:35 AM
Sedona, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
286 Posts
For Sale

For Sale: CMP Cessna 182 65" ARF New-in-Box!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=66
Allelectric is offline Find More Posts by Allelectric
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:45 AM
Black Box hogger
London
Joined May 2009
83 Posts
Hey Guys, I've looked at the whole thread and pretty much everyone said this is one heavy hard to handle bird!

I am thinking of getting one from here (http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=22684)
My first plane for a small 1kg ST Model Cessna and I loved it looks in the air - and this one looks stunning!

Now most of people here run it on 5-6S setups, saying that the specs specified here are generally quite old (2-3 years) and let's face it - back then even decent brushless motors had an efficiency of 70% or so? Where's how a nice setup can yield efficiency of something like 90-95%.
I saw some post specificing Hyperion motor setups - altough old Z series ones, not the newer ZS ones.

Now the shop recommends a 4S setup.
I was wondering - would using a 3S setup with a high efficiency motor like Hyperion ZS (up to 1.2kW) be sufficient?

I have one spare motor - Hyperion ZS 3025-08
It's 970kV and handles up to 1250watt on input.

I was using it for my Hyperion FW 190 (25e class but the bird was a bit of a fat cow for it's size - with battery AUW around 2.3kg)
Flew it with 10x10 prop as well as 11x9.7 and 12x8 and had no problems - the bird had more then enough power and on input was pulling around 670watt.
Problems were the very fast grass landings so I decided to loose some weight by using a smaller battery and a lighter smaller motor (ZS3014-12 and 3300mAh instead of 4200mAh pack - this shed something like 200g of the AUW)

Anyways so what's your opinion?
Hyperion ZS 3025-08 on 3S
Hyperion Atlas 75A (up to 6S) 4A SBEC ESC
13x9 prop or similar (I generally experiment)
Hyperion VX 3S 4200 45C discharge pack?

I should then be pulling something like 800watts on input - aiming for scale flying not unlimited vertical.
Will it fly or will it die?

Thanks
- M
Ryleh is offline Find More Posts by Ryleh
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:23 AM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
I think it will fly, but its going to be very very scary... Generally the 3s battery will not have enough punch to really fly it. In general, the Lipo technology hasn't really changed awhole lot in the past few years, (nano-tech batteries are more efficient, but not more powerful). A123 batteries might be the way to go, but your not reducing weight.

I believe your motor would be sufficient, but just keep in mind, this is going to be a nearly 10lb model.
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:58 AM
Black Box hogger
London
Joined May 2009
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettOZ84 View Post
I think it will fly, but its going to be very very scary... Generally the 3s battery will not have enough punch to really fly it. In general, the Lipo technology hasn't really changed awhole lot in the past few years, (nano-tech batteries are more efficient, but not more powerful). A123 batteries might be the way to go, but your not reducing weight.

I believe your motor would be sufficient, but just keep in mind, this is going to be a nearly 10lb model.
Well with Hyperion packs (VX and GX ones) I had no problems with voltage not holding even when pulling a lot of watts continously but point taken - 4S 3300-4000mAh pack would be a good idea and the power pack can handle it easily.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:17 PM
Black Box hogger
London
Joined May 2009
83 Posts
Ok so got the kit today and I'm really impressed with the detail!

Ordering the power pack and electronics tomorrow and kind of basic it on 40e class Hyperion Warbird specs.

Motor:
Hyperion ZS4020-12 543rpm/V (max 1.8kW), weight 308g
ESC:
Hyperion Atlas 60A ESC w/ 4A SBEC (max 6S) - 64g
Battery:
Trying to keep it light so Hyperion G3 VX (35C) 6S 3300mah (540g)

Servos:
Ailerons + Elevator : 3 x Hyperion Atlas DS13-TCB 3.2kg/cm dynamic torque, 7.2kg/cm holding torque at 5V, 18g each (carbon poly)
Flaps and rudder : 3 x Hyperion Atlas DS13-TMB 3.2kg/cm dynamic torque, 7.2kg/cm holding torque at 5V, 19.2g each (metal gearing)

New 8-channel DSMX Spektrum receiver (because I've got it spare and the 2048 point resolution will play well with the digital servos) + telemtery module.

Suggestions?

I've weighted the fuselage + hardware pack (comes to around 2.5kg) so with the electronics + battery I should be within 3.5kg mark.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:44 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,489 Posts
I flew the cmp on a 6s 3700 mah and rimfire 50-65-450 and 13/8 prop with 60amp esc from hobbycity flew really nice very scale she can be a little tricky on takeoff use some expo on the rudder.
Nelapaty is offline Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:13 PM
London RC Project
London
Joined Apr 2009
357 Posts
Good to hear, Nelapaty. I'm as excited as Ryleh, even though I will only help with the build a little. Can't wait to see this epic bird fly!
BrotherBloat is offline Find More Posts by BrotherBloat
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:12 AM
Black Box hogger
London
Joined May 2009
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelapaty View Post
I flew the cmp on a 6s 3700 mah and rimfire 50-65-450 and 13/8 prop with 60amp esc from hobbycity flew really nice very scale she can be a little tricky on takeoff use some expo on the rudder.
Did you have any problems with the CG? where did you put the battery pack.

Thanks
- M
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:52 PM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Ok. I got my power system for the Cessna. I have had this bird for a long time and I am just getting around to starting the build. I have a scale light kit on the way as well.

5S 5000mAh Lipo
Bigfoot 60 Tacon Motor (new from hobbypartz.com)
Xen 80A with BEC ESC.

I just ordered a 14x10 APC along with a 13x8 APC.
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:27 AM
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
almost the same thing.

I just got this plane, from someone online who never got around to building it. I Hope to hear how the Tacon Big Foot motor works, This is the one I was look at also.. I know most people seem to like the AXI. But what about scorpion or another brand?? And why would someone sell this model so cheap? Is there something about it, I don't know? LOOKS awsome.
alex26i is offline Find More Posts by alex26i
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:01 PM
London RC Project
London
Joined Apr 2009
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex26i View Post
I just got this plane, from someone online who never got around to building it. I Hope to hear how the Tacon Big Foot motor works, This is the one I was look at also.. I know most people seem to like the AXI. But what about scorpion or another brand?? And why would someone sell this model so cheap? Is there something about it, I don't know? LOOKS awsome.
We're told the model has a very heavy wing loading, which makes flying it more challenging than a similarly sized foamy Cessna. Perhaps that was the reason.

Also, the model is currently out of production, which means it will be increasingly more difficult to find replacement parts - perhaps that was the other person's motivation

all the best,
BB
London RC Project
BrotherBloat is offline Find More Posts by BrotherBloat
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:08 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryleh View Post
Did you have any problems with the CG? where did you put the battery pack.

Thanks
- M
I didnt have any issues but I definetly put my batteries flush to the firewall. 4000mah 6s is more than plenty 5000 pack was heavy It will fly. I loved my first flight I used 2 X 3s 3700 rhino and a a123 pack was just great she flew nice and light and predictable always approach landing with some power she loves to stall just like the real one for take off use expo for rudder will cut down the sensitivity to the stick so you are not allover the place and can takeoff in a straitish line

Im rebuilding mine (pilot error) The front section got crushed but its a simple fix I should have it up soon..(if I fix it that is) too many things on my plate...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:05 AM
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
It has been out of production for more than a year.. I knew this before I bought it. They are selling for about 90$. Still I have not seen anything but the Great Planes model that comes close. And the ARF foam looks OK. But foam doesn't fly like like this. Or maybe I will just build it for a show piece.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:40 AM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,489 Posts
Could you post a link to the site where you purchased it from? I need some spares...as I said it will fly no problem there..
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:53 AM
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
Has Anyone Put a gyro on this plane?? Nelapaty, I pretty much just found a few people online who had them, that never built them. Maybe they just got foam fliers.. Up and flying in minutes instead of days.