HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:57 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,326 Posts
Thanks for the tips Sam...So trim the elevator to about 1/4-1/3 down? My buddy also said he felt like the wings were way off (it wanted to keep tipping to the right and trimming helped but he said he felt like he still had to fight it throughout the short flight).

He said the CG was dead on per the instructions but something just felt way off he said.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2010, 08:42 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Probably rudder trim... that rudder is pretty darn aggressive (just like the real thing).
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:14 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,326 Posts
So by rudder trim do you mean making sure it's dead center to the vertical stab or are we talking limiting the throws?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:12 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
We're talking making sure the plane is flying exactly coordinated, so the loading on both wings is the same. That may mean that the rudder is quite some distance off center parked on the ground.

This plane has such a strong torque reaction that a throttle to rudder mix may be needed to keep it trimmed all the way from glide to full throttle.

It does not fly like a model, it flies exactly like the real thing, and in a real 182 you need to move the rudder about half its travel between glide and full throttle, or you WILL spin it. The CMP is just the same.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:52 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,326 Posts
Wow. I did not know that. This is vital info for sure. Thank you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:34 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
At my field, the guys told me that my CMP Cessna didn't stand for "China Model Products" by actually "Cement Model Products"

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Old Feb 01, 2010, 03:05 PM
Joined Nov 2008
48 Posts
Hey all,

Still got my eyes on this beast. Can buy it for 120, so not a bad price at he moment.
I have my faith in e flite hardware, was hoping that you may be able to help me out. Could I get away with the power 46, or is a power 60 a must? And what batt 4/5/6s ahh!! The endless choices.

Help.
rawdealad is offline Find More Posts by rawdealad
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:26 AM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
I am going with the power 46 with a 5s 5000mAh battery and a 100 amp ESC. I have not been able to start the project, but that's the setup I am going with.
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
Old Feb 02, 2010, 11:10 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor View Post

This plane has such a strong torque reaction that a throttle to rudder mix may be needed to keep it trimmed all the way from glide to full throttle.
Could you explain that a little more? How much mix? I've got this plane on the workbench about 90% complete. I haven't touched it in months due to other planes, but I'm feeling the need to finish it now. I was thinking about setting up the ailerons with a little reflex to help with the tip stall.
SteveC68 is online now Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:35 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,326 Posts
I've decided to sell mine. I don't want a Cessna that wants to snap and tip stall at the drop of a hat.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2010, 05:18 PM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
That's a shame... it isn't that hard to deal with, you just HAVE to do the rudder trim bit.

The mix is unfortunately going to depend on what prop you're using and how much power your motor develops with that prop, so I can't tell you.

So, the trim trick:

Tape about a meter of string to each wingtip. Both strings should be the same length or their drag won't balance and it won't work.

Always, always fly this plane being careful to keep it coordinated in turns. You can tell if it is coordinated because the tail should fly centered between the strings at all times.

Now take off, get it up high, and trim for level flight at about 40% throttle or so. Trim elevator first, then rudder, then ailerons. You can tell when the rudder trim is right when the tail flies centered between the strings. It's safe to land now, but DO NOT close the throttle on approach until the wheels are a few inches from the runway. Before you do land it, you can also get a feel for how much stick or how many clicks of trim it requires to keep the tail centered throughout the throttle range.

Land it, set up a mix that does that rudder movement with throttle automatically, and then make a few more flights to practice your turn coordination with the strings on.

This will work with any fussy scale model. Fullsize airplanes do, of course, have instruments to help you keep it coordinated (and they're much snappier than even this model).
Old Apr 22, 2010, 02:05 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
707 Posts
Hey all,

I know that the CMPro Cessna seems to have been discontinued for some time now, and is not available through the normal agents like Raidentech and Nitroplanes...

I have however, stumbled across the following from AMD Hobby....it looks the same, can anyone shed some light on this?

http://www.amdhobby.com/product_info...roducts_id=376

If you have problems getting through to that link, try the www.amdhobby.com and browse through the nitroplanes..
Cathurga is offline Find More Posts by Cathurga
Old May 30, 2010, 10:27 PM
Joined May 2010
1 Posts
Where is the C.G. point ?

I bought used CMPro Cessna 182 Skylane 50-size, but didn't get the manual. I have been trying to contact CMPro, but no answer.

I need to know where is the C.G. point, could someone help me ?
Miksuka is offline Find More Posts by Miksuka
Old Jun 01, 2010, 08:12 AM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
I wouldn't rely on the mentioned CG of the instructions anyways. Get your self a CG machine or build one as they are pretty simply to do. Load it up with all your gear and start finding it your self.

It has been a pretty common occurrence for the CG to be way off between different models with this bird. Look over the thread a bit and you might find your answer already, or at least a good starting reference point.!!
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
Old Jun 08, 2010, 06:10 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,456 Posts
Cg is 68-73mm from leading edge of the wing according to the manual.
Nelapaty is offline Find More Posts by Nelapaty