HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:23 PM
Sleep, Fly, Eat, Fly, Build
USA, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Jun 2009
275 Posts
Just got it today in the mail.. wow, what a plane.. i am ordering a spare just because this plane is amazing. I decided to run the Rimfire .80 motor along with a new motor mount all together. This motor mount allows for the -2 degree angle the manual suggests.
Will this work:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4245
or
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLCL5&P=7
viperjody is offline Find More Posts by viperjody
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:11 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,563 Posts
I like the Tower one as it has more adjustments available.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:19 PM
Joined Sep 2009
4 Posts
Nice and Cool Plane. I Just buyed one from Nitroplanes and i wait that is arrived at my shipping address. I need to know which is the better hardaware selection for build this plane please??
CIRIX74 is offline Find More Posts by CIRIX74
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:28 AM
Yeah it's me, Glacier Girl
Lakeland, Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2009
216 Posts
Here's a fix and tip. As I'm putting mine together now, I took one look at those wing mounted antennas and just knew they wouldn't last before getting snagged on something and snapping off.

I cut down the mounting posts, and installed a pair of rare earth magnets on them, and mounted another pair inside the wing. Now the antennas can be bumped off and not get broken.

And since they can be knocked off, they could be lost. But I fixed this too. Installed a single bungee strand between the wing and antenna. Now the antennas can be knocked off and snap right back into place.

Got a couple of other things I've modded. I'll post on them as soon as I finish.
The Scarecrow is offline Find More Posts by The Scarecrow
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:17 AM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
thats really awesome idea you got there Scarecrow! Thanks for posting this.
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
Old Nov 13, 2009, 11:38 PM
Yeah it's me, Glacier Girl
Lakeland, Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2009
216 Posts
Well they passed the acid test. Not 5 minutes after I finished them, I managed to knock the center section off the bench while cleaning up. And of course it landed antenna side down. After kicking myself, I picked up the wing only to hear "snap-snap" as both the antennas snapped back into place. Happy happy joy joy!!! Not a scratch on either of them.

Next up is lamps. Rather then buy a kit, I built my own. Got the normal red/green nav lamps in the wings. Four (4) landing lamps in the wings, 2 per side. A pair in the cowl.
A flashing red vertical stabilizer lamp, and a strobe in the belly.

I wired up a pair of 555 timers to run the flasher and strobe. What a wiring joy, TWENTY SIX (26) wires running thru the craft. Whole system runs off a single tiny lipo cell. Just have to figure out some switches to turn em on/off.

Here's some crappy pics I took with my cell phone camera.
The Scarecrow is offline Find More Posts by The Scarecrow
Old Nov 19, 2009, 02:59 PM
Howdie Doo Dat ?
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,945 Posts
Tracon, that first photo on page one threw me back 20 feet ! Fantastic. You coulda put it on Ebay as a real one and took $40,000 .

For Sale
Cessna 182
Perfect flying condition. Will deliver in CONUS.
$40,000

Great work. I'm not sure I could fly it at ease without some sort of comprehensive insurance.

Ch
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Last edited by Chophop; Nov 19, 2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 02:21 AM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Can I get some input on this motor?

Would it fly this model?

Monster Power 46

http://www.exceedrc.com/63m54.html
Old Nov 22, 2009, 02:18 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracon View Post
Hi Guys,

I just got in from a dusk flight...

With these new lights from "Lazertoys" my Cessna looks pretty realistic taxiing around on the tarmac and flying around...
Hey Tracon,

Can you link what lights from Lazertoys you got, I want to make sure I get the right ones for this plane. I want them to be long enough.

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:04 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Hey fellas, my buddy maidened his today and I'm getting close to having mine completed and unfortunately his tip stalled and death spun to the ground pretty much toasting the nose and fuse. I think we were both expecting a bit more trainer characteristics, not such a tip stall tendency. We just got rid of the Hangar 9 Corsair because of the same characteristics and were hoping this would be a more relaxed scale experience.

Oops.

So my questions: What are the single most effective methods or mods you have found to help reduce the tip stall factor, and what does it mean when you say "snaps on elevator?"

Thanks for your help.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:47 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Fly it like a real airplane, with your rudder trim bang on, and know your throttle settings well. It does glide well, but it lands better with a bit of power.

It flies just exactly like a real light plane, as a scale model should. So precisely coordinated turns at landing speed and correct trim are essential. Somewhere back in the thread I posted something about how to get the rudder trim right.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:04 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Thanks for the response Andrew. I did find that post about your rudder trim trick. I will definitely give it a shot. Sounds like a little down elevator mix may be needed with the flaps on final as well?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:37 AM
tom
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,599 Posts
does anyone know where i can get this part that holds the wing strut in place? the one circled is for the right wing, i need the LEFT one.

thanks,

tom
tomme21 is offline Find More Posts by tomme21
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:10 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Well, I'm getting close to having mine done and ready for maiden. I have to admit, I'm pretty nervous after reading through the thread and seeing how tip stall happy she is and after witnessing my buddy's death spiral the other day. So it sounds like I need to make sure it's:

- A little on the nose heavy side for CG?
- Use the flaps gingerly but maybe maiden without them to see how it flies?
- Be sure the rudder trim is dead on?
- Fly it scale, keep the speed up and make smooth, arcing turns...

What am I missing?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2010, 02:38 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,749 Posts

(Picture from Chilliwack Fly-In May 2009)

Hi Guys,

Sorry, I've not been around here much...

Thanks for all the nice comments above !

Link to Lazer Toys Light Systems: http://lazertoyz.ncweb.net/RCLights.html

I sold my Cessna last year, it's a beautiful plane...but please be careful, this plane is no high wing trainer, I have scared myself many times flying this plane...

I found the weight factor at 9.5 lbs all up ready to fly very heavy !

The safest way to fly this bird is to fly it with about 1/4-1/3 down all the time, this will give you a little more lift and hopefully keep it flying a little more solid in the air.

Whatever you do, don't chop the throttle and expect it to glide like a nice floaty trainer, she'll pitch down and drop a wing instantly as you have read in the above post.

All the best,

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon