SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2009, 08:55 AM
Silent but deadly
Cataula, Ga
Joined Mar 2005
799 Posts
Good morning guys...

The floats are from Hobby City. They were about $60 with shipping.
I made the main gear mounts from 1/8 inch thick aluminum from Lowes. I just traced them from the fiberglass gear that came with the model. That way I could bend the bottom "wheel" mounts 90* so I could mount down through the floats. I added a 1/4 inch plywood plate on the top of the floats with blind nuts inside to attach the gear mounts to.
The nose gear is made from 1/16 inch thick aluminum from Lowes. After I got the mains attached to the model, I cut a piece of scrap wood so I could jack the nose of the plane to the proper angle. Then I just traced out the gear on it so I would have a template to bend the angles with. It is attached to the same nose gear mount that the model normally uses (much like most real planes do).
I made the ventral fin from 1/4 balsa and just painted it with Tamaya pure white paint. The cross braces and steps are made from 1/8 balsa to save weight. The floats were repainted as they came white on top and red on the bottom. light water sanding, then repainted with white, trimed with italian red and black painted stripes.
It's a heavy plane, I just hope it floats. It was just over 8 lbs before the floats. I haven't weighed it with the floats. I have seen video of one flying before, so I am confident it will be fine.
CRASH_Jim is offline Find More Posts by CRASH_Jim
Last edited by CRASH_Jim; Jan 17, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:11 PM
Switzerland-Europe
Joined Apr 2007
429 Posts
Thanks Jim, tell us more when you have time!

Max
panamarenko is offline Find More Posts by panamarenko
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:51 PM
Silent but deadly
Cataula, Ga
Joined Mar 2005
799 Posts
I googled "Cessna on floats" and selected images. There are lots and lots of photos of the the real thing on floats. I wish I had the time and tallent to cut the floats open and put retracts in them. a true amphibious version would be awesome.

I have the lighting done with the FAA lighting sets from Hobby City. I used 3 sets of lights. One to control the wing lights, one to control the tail light, and belly beacon, and one to control the landing lights. The landing lights are powered through a 5A brushed ESC, on my gear switch. That allows the landing lights to be switchable from the Tx for landings. I think it will look good at the lake in the evenings.

The lights
New Light test (0 min 37 sec)
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:17 AM
Barcelona
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
the smaller cessna has gone from HC and raidentech shows no stock...any ideas as to where to get one?
Cheers
400driver is offline Find More Posts by 400driver
Old Feb 01, 2009, 11:49 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
Hi Jim,

Very nice work !

Have you had a chance to place it in water to see how much floatation you get from the floats for the weight of the plane.

I very interested to hear about how she handles on the water.

Thanks,

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Old Feb 06, 2009, 08:07 PM
Silent but deadly
Cataula, Ga
Joined Mar 2005
799 Posts
Here it is. I had some trouble with my battery tray and nothing on site to fix it, so no flight today. I did some taxi tests and high speed taxis just to see how it would handle. It eats up a bunch of water, but looks good. My photo guy wasn't there today, so I took these myself. Unfortunately he had a funeral to go to. Maybe flight day he can be there and get some good photos and video for me.
Old Feb 06, 2009, 08:09 PM
Northern California
Joined Feb 2009
8 Posts
This is the best thread I have seen so far on the CMP 182 .50. I just got one last week. Here is the electric engine I am putting in Turnigy Aerodrive Xp SK Series 50-55 580Kv / 1580w & Turnigy plush 80A ESC. From what I have read this should do the job. The prop is 12x6 APC. I also got a 13x8 to try. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark
mlr2000 is offline Find More Posts by mlr2000
Old Feb 06, 2009, 08:14 PM
"NAVY CHIEFS"
NAF Atsugi, Japan
Joined Jul 2005
628 Posts
Mark,
I'm using the trinity 50-55B 600kv moter with 5s2p setup on at 14"x10" APC and it moves out like a mad man. I have to deploy the flaps just to slow it down for landing. You should love this plane. I would highly recomenned to change out the nose gear. The factor gear for the nose is junk. I used the robart nose gear that is in this forum.

Mike
rc_man1 is offline Find More Posts by rc_man1
Last edited by rc_man1; Feb 06, 2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 12:16 AM
Northern California
Joined Feb 2009
8 Posts
Thank you Mike for the reply and your setup info. I am brand new to the RC game and have lots of questions. I am a Private Pilot in real life and love the RC stuff. But, I hear it will be more difficult for me to learn to fly RC since I do the real thing.

I have seen all the posts on the nose gear, good suggestion. Wow, the price for the robart nose gear is expensive. If I am looking at the right part it looks to be about $175? Is there any other solution? This is a VERY nice plane and I do not want to smash it up or role it.

I did not say in the previous post but the power source I will be using is two e-flite 3200mAh 3S 11.1V 15C LiPo, 13AWG EC3 batteries in series. Is this enough or to much?

And your prop size of 14x10 seems very large. From looking at my 182 it looks like the tip of the prop would be hitting the ground. Maybe I can raise the nose strut higher to provide more clearance?

Mark
Old Feb 07, 2009, 12:37 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Hang on... this is your first plane?

That is completely the wrong answer. This is a hard plane to fly and very expensive... you don't want to start learning with this one. Fullsize experience helps a bit, but not that much... not nearly enough to complete a circuit with this model safely.

I think you need to go find a trainer model, one of the foamies, and then work up to an aileron trainer, then something fast, then the Cessna.

To answer your technical questions: no, those eflight packs have too small a C rating, they're only rated for 48A and you're going to be drawing more than 60.

14" props fit just fine; scale size would be something around 16" or maybe even 17".

And yes, the Robart nose leg is expensive, but the only alternatives are even more expensive. The improvement in the ground handling and landing manners is enormous, it's actually worth it given how much better the model behaves, despite the cost.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Feb 07, 2009, 12:38 AM
"NAVY CHIEFS"
NAF Atsugi, Japan
Joined Jul 2005
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlr2000
Thank you Mike for the reply and your setup info. I am brand new to the RC game and have lots of questions. I am a Private Pilot in real life and love the RC stuff. But, I hear it will be more difficult for me to learn to fly RC since I do the real thing.

I have seen all the posts on the nose gear, good suggestion. Wow, the price for the robart nose gear is expensive. If I am looking at the right part it looks to be about $175? Is there any other solution? This is a VERY nice plane and I do not want to smash it up or role it.

I did not say in the previous post but the power source I will be using is two e-flite 3200mAh 3S 11.1V 15C LiPo, 13AWG EC3 batteries in series. Is this enough or to much?

And your prop size of 14x10 seems very large. From looking at my 182 it looks like the tip of the prop would be hitting the ground. Maybe I can raise the nose strut higher to provide more clearance?

Mark
Mark,
If you click on the link in my last post "Robart nose gear" it will send you to the correct one. It is $59.99. Yes it does cost but it help allot!! A 6 cell will do just fine. Mine comes off the ground quick but my field you have to get up fast. My 182 sits level and I could get away with maybe 15" prop. We in the eletric world swing a bigger prop so we can get the watts needed.
I have taught many real pilots to fly R/C's but they all have the same problem. They seem to believe that it is so easy because they fly the real deal. Is this your first plane? It might not be a good first plane! But if you have flown R/C's for sometime that you should be good to go. If this is the first time please find someone in you area to help teach you to fly so it will be more rewarding to you. Enjoy if you have anymore question just ask.

Mike
Old Feb 07, 2009, 02:57 AM
Northern California
Joined Feb 2009
8 Posts
Thank you Andrew and Mike. Well, actually, this is not my first plane. Two years ago my wife bought me a foamy with two ducted engines. No controls at all, just power and left/right via slowing down the left or right engine to make it bank either way. This was easy to fly but lost interest because not much control and having to launch by hand. I consider myself brand new because I am now getting back into RC with more complex equipment here recently (two months). My next plane (two months ago) was an e-flite T34 Mentor 25 ePTS with wing droops and nice kit with Spektrumô DX6i 2.4GHz radio plane and all. I am very low hours in RC and just am getting back into it after the first foamy.

So is the cmp 182 more difficult than the T34? I have seen some posts on the need for coordinated turns using both rudder ailerons. Before the T34 I trained on FS-One flight sim with my controller and can now land every time without problem. That helped a whole lot as the first time I flew the sim I crashed a bunch. Finally got the reverse control down when flying towards me and easy on the controls. Wow, you both have me somewhat scared now.

And Mike if I understand that TWO e-flite 3200mAh 3S 11.1V 15C tied in series (or parallel?) is the equivalent to 6400mAh 6S 22.2 30C ????

Mark
Last edited by mlr2000; Feb 07, 2009 at 03:37 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 03:55 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
The CMP 182 is more difficult than the T34, mostly because it's both heavy for its size and very fast (the two are related, of course). But in its favour, it has flaps, and they're mild mannered and very effective. So, if you can fly the T34, you can fly the Cessna... just be very, very careful.

As for the battery... you'd need FOUR of those packs to make a 6s 6400 30C. Two makes either a 3s 6400 (which would indeed be 30C), or a 6s 3200, still 15C. 6s 6400 is a bit much battery, it'll probably be rather heavy. But 6s 3200 15C doesn't quite have the current capacity, a 3200 battery will be at about 17C at full throttle, presuming you have as much power available as I do.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:19 AM
"NAVY CHIEFS"
NAF Atsugi, Japan
Joined Jul 2005
628 Posts
As Andrew said the Cessena is some what hard to fly. Mine flys very fast and i can get it in a flat spin very fast. As for the batteries if I was going with Lipo's I would use something with at least 30c capacity.. I use A123's from Dewalt battery packs because they are cheaper and charge faster. When i'm at the field I can charge the packs in 15 mins or less. Good luck with the Cessena.. I love mine

Mike
Old Feb 07, 2009, 10:56 AM
Northern California
Joined Feb 2009
8 Posts
Well that is not good news on the batteries. This is getting very expensive even with low cost ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 6S1P 30C and charger it appears it would have been cheaper, at least to start, going with glow engine.

And for speed from what I have read with full flaps down landing you need to be at least 18-20 mph. All the youtube pics I have seen this plane is very beautiful in the air.

Mark
Last edited by mlr2000; Feb 07, 2009 at 06:26 PM.