HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:06 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,219 Posts
Nice flight and beautiful landing Jim. I haven't dug back through the thread to see if you posted it but what does your power system consist of?

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:24 PM
Silent but deadly
Cataula, Ga
Joined Mar 2005
799 Posts
It's all chinese stuff...

Battery - 4S 4100 HXT
Motor - BP A2826-4
ESC - Towerpro Mag8 70A
UBEC - HXT 5v/6v
Sevos - JR ST47 Standard

3 sets of lights from Hobby City. For less than $40, I got lights on the tail, belly, wing tips, and landing lights. I used an old 5A brushed ESC that I had and ran the landing lights through it so I can turn them on and off with the gear switch. The lights don't show at all in flight on the video. I will try to get some video as the sun is setting.

I got to do the maiden Friday down at Mac Hodges field (Home of SEFF). I may fly it tomorrow at my usual field.
CRASH_Jim is offline Find More Posts by CRASH_Jim
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:02 AM
"NAVY CHIEFS"
NAF Atsugi, Japan
Joined Jul 2005
628 Posts
Well I'm almost finished with it. I just CG'ed and it cam out right at 67mm without adding any weight or moving my gear around. WOW it's the first time that ever happen for me. Normally I have to move gear or something around. She came in at 8lbs 9ozs ready to flight. Which if I did the math correct it will be 37 oz/sqft wing load. Wow that might be the highest I have ever flown for Wing load. but I have never done the Math for my CMP zero so the zero might be higher. So I guess when I maiden the Cessna i'll fly scale like. Set up is:

Trintity 50-55B 600Kv
A123's 5s2p
CC80 ESC
Trintity UBEC 5/6v
APC 14x8.5E

I hope she flights!!!!

Mike
rc_man1 is offline Find More Posts by rc_man1
Old Aug 05, 2008, 08:10 PM
Elephant Field Flyer
Virginia Beach
Joined May 2005
211 Posts
Well i guess no new flights this last weekend?

I'm still in the building stage.
Considering another motor that I have and looking for some help.
It's Tom Hunts' H-1000 beltdrive with 3-1 gear
Himax HB-36-30-1000
4 cell lipos......It flew a 10 pound lazybee

My 30 day on motocalkk ran out
WetBee is offline Find More Posts by WetBee
Old Aug 05, 2008, 08:19 PM
Silent but deadly
Cataula, Ga
Joined Mar 2005
799 Posts
I didn't fly mine this weekend. I did fly it last weekend. Not so good on the first attempt as I had the rudder on high rates and ran it off the pavement in to the grass. Minor stuff. the worse of it was I lost one of the clear plastic lenses off of the wingtip. I cleaned it up then got a good flight in. I got to lower flaps and fly it slow. It's nice. I did land on the pavement nice, but the weight is pretty high. It wants to bounce on it's nose. I replaced the nose strut this week with a shock absorbing one from hobby-lobby.com. It feels much better, but I haven't gotten to fly it yet to see if it helps.
CRASH_Jim is offline Find More Posts by CRASH_Jim
Old Aug 21, 2008, 05:18 AM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
678 Posts
Tracon,
Just spent over an hour reading all aspects of your Cessna and in one word ' MAGIC'. You have done a fantastic job on this plane. I am currently converting a SIG Skylane 60 series. It needs plenty of extra work due to the way they build the main structure to lighten it. Hope to have mine up and running by X-mas.
Keep it up and love the web site of your cessna.
Well done.
Shane
shanesmadhouse is offline Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:13 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,747 Posts
Thanks Shane,

My better half and I have been in limbo in the hobby for the last 8 months while we're building our new house...

I hope to get back on track this winter and start building my second Cessna as a "Floats Only" version...

Good luck with yours and post some pictures !!!

All the best,

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:28 AM
EA OUTLAWS
Polk City Florida
Joined Jun 2008
491 Posts
Hello all just ordered the CMP Cessna Skylane 182 50 - 65" and was thinking about this set up what do you guys think and what servos would be best. And besides the front landing gear what else should I worry about.

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=421
With the Z-60 HV (60 amp) ESC and the 22.2V 6000mAh 8C Lipo

Thanks

Jerry
EAO HarleyMan is offline Find More Posts by EAO HarleyMan
Last edited by EAO HarleyMan; Aug 30, 2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 04:57 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
That's the wrong motor... KV is too low, so all the listed pitch speeds are quite slow. And, you don't need that much power.

This plane needs a pitch speed of basically 100 mph, not around 70. So, the 'hot' winds of most manufacturers 40mm motors are the ones to go for... Hyperion 4020-10 on 5s lipo for example, or a -12 on 6s.

Having poked around on that site... unfortunately, they don't do a suitable motor. It isn't true that you can replace a single glow motor with a single electric for every application....

Servos aren't very critical, any decent standard servo will do. I used Spektrum digitals, but that's only because I had eight of them lying around.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:05 AM
Captain Fly Bye
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2008
151 Posts
Sam

This is one of the best build threads I have seen here on RCG! I ordered my 182 and came on line to see if anyone had a build thread WOW! Plane is not even here yet and I have ordered my Robart 654, and light kit from lazer toys. Thanks to everybodys post, the build should go smooth. I just completed a Transall C 160 E conversion, had to do alot of picking just to set it up, this is one sweet productive thread and a great bunch of guy's.
Terry
Dreamtalker is offline Find More Posts by Dreamtalker
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:31 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,747 Posts
Good Stuff Terry !!!

Show us some pictures when you get her done !!!

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Old Sep 03, 2008, 08:14 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,698 Posts
Can one of you nice gentleman measure the distance of the fuse from the front edge of cowl (spinner backplate) to the rudder hinge line? I just bought one of these, another plane I don;t need; but for $99 I couldn't resist. I will be putting mine on floats and would like to get those floats ordered while I'm waiting for the Cessna to arrive. I'll be using Plane Fun floats, as they are very light.
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
Old Sep 03, 2008, 08:21 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleBrad
Can one of you nice gentleman measure the distance of the fuse from the front edge of cowl (spinner backplate) to the rudder hinge line? I just bought one of these, another plane I don;t need; but for $99 I couldn't resist. I will be putting mine on floats and would like to get those floats ordered while I'm waiting for the Cessna to arrive. I'll be using Plane Fun floats, as they are very light.
On mine I measure 40 1/4" from the front of the cowl to the lower edge of the rudder hinge line. I get 43 1/2" to the top of the rudder hinge line. Hope this helps.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Sep 03, 2008, 09:59 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,698 Posts
Thanks Joe, that's what I need.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 09:19 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,698 Posts
I got my Cessna today, what a beauty !! However, the black and red stripes on the cowl are nowhere near lining up, we're talking about 1" off on each side. For $99 I;m not complaining too much...but the plane is so pretty I hate to see it this way. I am going to attempt to contact Raidentech to see about another cowl, maybe another one will match up better.