Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2008, 10:07 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Sam,

thank you. How do you access the battery?

Best Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Old May 14, 2008, 11:27 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
I remove the wing to get to the battery...

It's the only way for me...I'm running a 6s 5000 thunder power lipo....

Sam
Old May 14, 2008, 12:02 PM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Another question: the hinges do not look inspiring confidence. Did you use them or did you get others?

I also just looked at the main landing gear. Aren't there any predrilled holes? I didn't expect drilling them myself. It looks not so easy to dirll everything and keep it straight.

Thanks

Best Alexander
Last edited by AlexanderB; May 14, 2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:31 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
yes I used the stock hinges...

My landing gear was pre drilled...

That seems kinda odd ???

Sam
Old May 14, 2008, 12:33 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
United States, MN, Woodbury
Joined Jan 2003
3,721 Posts
I don't think my landing gear was drilled, but I don't really recall. I do know that I had to do a bit of drilling on the kit.

Matt
Willmsy is offline Find More Posts by Willmsy
Old May 14, 2008, 12:47 PM
Tel Aviv
Joined May 2002
276 Posts
The Hinges are lousy. It is recommended to change them.
I would also suggest to enforce the area in the firewall where the front wheel is attached to the fuselage.
lempert is offline Find More Posts by lempert
Old May 16, 2008, 03:58 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Thank you,

since Sam used the hinges I used them as well (lemperts comment came when the glue just cured ). I took a close look at it and since they use quite few of them I decided not to wait and glued the ailerond and the flaps with the stock hinges.

Regarding the nose wheel: can anyone tell me the weight of the robart strut? I'm wondering to get one. But I also consider the cheaper solution of buying one that comes with a spring like this one from Graupner:

Regarding the propeller I go for a Varioprop 13.9" three bladed prop with variable pitch. I already use them for smaller models and they are just great. Maybe I shorten the blades a little.

Best Alexander
Old May 19, 2008, 11:38 AM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
511 Posts
Alexander - I've put a Radio Active 8swg sprung nose-leg in mine, very similar to the one in your picture. So far it's coped with our none-to-smooth field - the stock leg folded taxying out! As a bonus the 8swg unit fitted straight in the original mountings .
Mine is i/c powered, SC FS65A, an oldie, but once airborne it copes ok. AUW is 3 1/2kg with 700gm of lead on the engine bearers.
As for the CMP hinges - I thought the material too brittle to trust so I replaced mine with Robart hinge points.
BrumBob is offline Find More Posts by BrumBob
Old May 23, 2008, 09:46 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Hi,

I bought the Graupner nose leg but it does not fit too well since the spring is too far up. But I will let the spring direct to the front and put a piece of plywood between the mounts and the firewall for the clearence.

Yesterday I mounted the wing to the fuselage. It doesn't fit very well so I had to sand one mm or so from the fuse (at the aft end oft the wing).

Also a lot of holes had to be drilled in the wing parts for the aluminium connectors. I glued the wing.

All in all there are several issues with this kit but regarding the price this is OK. Nothing a model builder can't deal with.
Old May 23, 2008, 09:57 AM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
511 Posts
I forgot to mention that - the Radio Active one was too long initially, but I put a dog-leg into the length below the spring emulating a trailing link setup.
Sorry, I don't have a photo, but it involved putting something like a 110 degree backwards bend in the leg about 1 1/4 " up from the axle, then bending the leg forward from just below the sping coils to put the axle back on the vertical line of the mounting. This probably adds quite a bit o the springing, come to think of it

Bob
Old May 23, 2008, 11:43 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Thank you Bob. Would you be so kind to take a picture if possible? I'm afraid I didn't really got what you meant.

Best
Alexander
Old May 23, 2008, 11:48 AM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
511 Posts
I'll tryAlexander - think of an L in the bottom half of the noseleg, bent forwards so that the wheel is under the pivot point.
Old May 24, 2008, 11:01 AM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
511 Posts
Here you go Alexander - it's more like a 90 degree bend, whatever it takes to get the job done
Old May 25, 2008, 05:08 PM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Thanks Bob! Now I see.

Another question: what kind of glue did you use for the windows. The manual suggests "silicone". I don't know what kind of silicone since I didn't use it so far.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Best Alexander