HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 31, 2007, 11:20 PM
Suspended Account
Water Boy's Avatar
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Build Log
Hansa S5A float plane, balsa plans foam built!?!

I found a set of plans that are for a balsa plane. I want to use Blucore instead. Now what I did was scale the plans to the size I want, there are 2 pages one with the wing construction and the other with the fuse. I printed both pages to the same scale, then I relised that the plane would come out about a .5" wider the planned. So I then reduced the fuse sheet by .5"by taking one of the formers and reducing it from 1.875 to 1.375. Is this right or should I have used the inkpen trick?
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Last edited by Water Boy; Aug 01, 2007 at 03:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2007, 08:09 AM
AMA 14680
Foamenator's Avatar
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Boy
I found a set of plans that are for a balsa plane. I want to use Blucore instead. Now what I did was scale the plans to the size I want, there are 2 pages one with the wing construction and the other with the fuse. I printed both pages to the same scale, then I relised that the plane would come out about a .5" wider the planned. So I then reduced the fuse sheet by .5"by taking one of the formers and reducing it from 1.875 to 1.375. Is this right or should I have used the inkpen trick?
I've done the same thing working from 3 views for my P6E.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680060

For some reason things didn't come out right for all the pieces. I just measured each part of the reduction to make sure it was ok. Some of the parts especially those close to the corners needed some tweaking. As an example when I got the measurements I needed for the wings the stab was too little. All in all, it was pretty easy... just check them for your measurements. Good luck. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Last edited by Foamenator; Aug 01, 2007 at 09:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2007, 08:38 AM
Suspended Account
Water Boy's Avatar
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Here is the plane I have in mind. Its a Hansa S5A
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2007, 09:14 AM
AMA 14680
Foamenator's Avatar
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Boy
Here is the plane I have in mind. Its a Hansa S5A
WB.... Great looking plane Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2007, 02:49 PM
Suspended Account
Water Boy's Avatar
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Yeah, I just hope mine turns out that nice. I may start it tonight and just use this as the build thread.
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2007, 02:54 PM
AMA 14680
Foamenator's Avatar
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Boy
Yeah, I just hope mine turns out that nice. I may start it tonight and just use this as the build thread.
Great.... Count me subscribed. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2007, 03:00 PM
Suspended Account
Water Boy's Avatar
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
Great.... Count me subscribed. Bob
Great! Just put even more pressure on me.
Should be a fun build, its gonna be my first float plane so it should prove to be interesting.
Harry
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Last edited by Water Boy; Aug 01, 2007 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2007, 03:14 PM
Registered User
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
928 Posts
I have built a couple of planes using balsa plans. Looking at the plane you want to build I would just build the fuselage as a box without formers. I only used the balsa plans for outline. I cut out two sides. I cut out top and bottom minus twice the thickness of the foam. Glue the sides square to the top and bottom. One plane I needed a round deck so I just glued two flat sheets on and sanded round.
degreen60 is offline Find More Posts by degreen60
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2007, 03:20 PM
AMA 14680
Foamenator's Avatar
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Boy
Great! Just out even more pressure on me.
Should be a fun build, its gonna be my first float plane so it should prove to be interesting.
Harry
Harry... Have you looked at Tony 65x55 build threads on the SE5A and BluBaby.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556

Both use Tony's Monobloc concept. It think that it would work perfectly with this plane. A solid block to carry motor, wings, floats, etc. Really strong setup without much additional weight and perfect alignment for motor wings, etc. I've built four of them and they all fly great and stand up to my dumb thumbs really well. Tony also has plans for floats on the BluBaby thread, towards the end of the thread. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2007, 03:31 PM
Suspended Account
Water Boy's Avatar
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
I thought about going with the simple "box" style, still probably will as its so much easier. This is a very hard to find plane. I have not been able to find any pics of it, other then the ones that are in the article I have. I'll post the PDF of the article that also has the plans. Its in Swedish or Dutch (or some other language) so I have no idea what the article says.
Harry
EDIT: Theres a pretty nice vid of it in action in the PDF.
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Last edited by Water Boy; Aug 01, 2007 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2007, 04:43 PM
Time for another motto!
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2006
1,413 Posts
The article is in Swedish, not dutch, those 3 crowns and Swedish colours kinda give that away, doesn't it? It certainly is a nice plane, are you planning on details like that fake motor too?
A monoblock should be feasible, especially if you make the round nose part of it. The rest of the curvature should be easy to make by rounding off the box structure.
JelleB is offline Find More Posts by JelleB
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2007, 06:01 PM
Suspended Account
Water Boy's Avatar
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
I would like to do some detail such as the faux motor and roundness of the fuse.
Kinda at a stand still, got the fuse sheet cut and ready to tape together. Just need a little motivation or kick in the butt. My wife has some goofy pampered chef thing tonight, so maybe I can get something accomplished. We'll see.....
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2007, 07:11 PM
AMA 14680
Foamenator's Avatar
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Boy
I thought about going with the simple "box" style, still probably will as its so much easier. This is a very hard to find plane. I have not been able to find any pics of it, other then the ones that are in the article I have. I'll post the PDF of the article that also has the plans. Its in Swedish or Dutch (or some other language) so I have no idea what the article says.
Harry
EDIT: Theres a pretty nice vid of it in action in the PDF.

WB... Those are great plans. May I ask where you found them? You won't have any trouble except to get the cg right with such a short distance between the cg and the nose. Oh well... use a big battery and and a big heavy motor. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2007, 07:24 PM
Suspended Account
Water Boy's Avatar
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Bob, I was looking to do this Hansa instead. So I did a search here on RCG and found a link to the PDF file. I could not copy and paste the plan pages to rescale in tileprint. So what I did was print them onto a single page, the rescanned them into the comp. via the scanner. Both planes are very nice looking, great lines for a WWI plane. Even thought they resemble most of the planes from that era, theres just something about it. I have the Fiddlers version of the W29, I thought about trying that first.
As far as getting the CG right, I was thinking of cheating a little and extending the nose a tad.
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2007, 07:56 AM
AMA 14680
Foamenator's Avatar
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Boy
Bob, I was looking to do this Hansa instead. So I did a search here on RCG and found a link to the PDF file. I could not copy and paste the plan pages to rescale in tileprint. So what I did was print them onto a single page, the rescanned them into the comp. via the scanner. Both planes are very nice looking, great lines for a WWI plane. Even thought they resemble most of the planes from that era, theres just something about it. I have the Fiddlers version of the W29, I thought about trying that first.
As far as getting the CG right, I was thinking of cheating a little and extending the nose a tad.
WB... That's another great one. I think I like the one your starting best though because of the radial engine. Can't wait to see the build. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale GWS E-Starter Float Plane (New and Built) P-40 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 May 23, 2007 03:49 PM
House of Balsa Float Plane 10 hobbyshopguy Glow to Electric Conversions 10 Sep 21, 2006 07:05 AM
Help! A first RC plane? (balsa and styro construction) need clear plans!!! zbuffer Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 6 Sep 08, 2006 10:51 PM
Discussion Float plane Plans "post em here" paintballer#1 Waterplanes 2 Feb 14, 2006 12:26 AM
Wanted House of Balsa Float Plane 10 kit hobbyshopguy Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 22, 2005 09:51 AM