HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2007, 07:20 PM
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined Jul 2007
293 Posts
Question
Battery Leads! Bullets Vs. Deans?

I am new to LIPOs and trying to determine what type of connectors to use on my battery packs. Does anyone have any thoughts on Bullet connectors vs Deans connectors?
Also, if you go with Deans what is the maximum size battery you would use micro dean connectors on?
magee8578 is offline Find More Posts by magee8578
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2007, 07:35 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,435 Posts
Search the High Performance Forum and there is a good thread on just this subject.

Deans are good for at least 150 amps on a burst.
North of 230 amps, 6mm. bullet connectors do the job well.

AFAIK from personal experience using Deans Ultra, 10s and 90 amps was no problem for me.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jul 31, 2007, 07:55 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,373 Posts
I use Deans Ultra up to 5S and 48 amps, thats the biggest plane to date. I use little bitty JST on 5 amp and below, everything else gets a Deans.

If you decide to use them, pick up a small bottle of powdered graphite (Lock Lubricant) and sprinkle some in the female, dump it out, makes taking them apart soooo much easier. A small bottle will last a long. long time.

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Aug 01, 2007, 10:31 AM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
No bullet connectors for batteries. The beauty of Deans is that you can't cross-polarize with them. If the connectors don't preclude that, then it's going to happen eventually. Like last week when I smoked a brand new 3s after its first cycle.
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Old Aug 01, 2007, 12:40 PM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
You could also use APP Powerpolls .... but need a $50 crimper for them (no solder required). I use Deans Ultras and Deans Micros as they seem to be the most common.... and I can solder very well.
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Aug 01, 2007, 02:44 PM
Joined May 2004
556 Posts
I like bullet connectors for parkflyers just because they are easier to stuff into the often cramped confines of a parkflyer fuselage. My Flashback is a prime example. Deans are great when you have room. If you want to have poor boys polarity protection, stagger the lead lengths on your battery and ESC when you solder the connectors. Helps to prevent shorts, too.
Sit-N-Fly is offline Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly
Old Aug 01, 2007, 02:46 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magee8578
Also, if you go with Deans what is the maximum size battery you would use micro dean connectors on?
The battery size does not determine connector suitability - current is the determining factor.

Deans Micro - 10 Amps sustained, 15 Amps for 30 seconds.

BUT, IMHO, they are a very poor design. One protruding pin on a battery connector is an accident waiting to happen.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Aug 02, 2007, 10:11 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes500Bob
You could also use APP Powerpolls .... but need a $50 crimper for them (no solder required).
No crimper required they are very easy to solder, waaaaay easier than Deans
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Aug 02, 2007, 10:48 AM
Engineer in training
Columbia, Missouri
Joined Jun 2004
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3

Deans Micro - 10 Amps sustained, 15 Amps for 30 seconds.

BUT, IMHO, they are a very poor design. One protruding pin on a battery connector is an accident waiting to happen.

Bill

I have had one such accident. A micro deans hit a banana plug just right, and shorted out. Totally ruined my pack, the wire, and the plug.
johnrobholmes is offline Find More Posts by johnrobholmes
Old Aug 02, 2007, 11:04 AM
Massachusetts
Joined Jul 2007
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magee8578
I am new to LIPOs and trying to determine what type of connectors to use on my battery packs. Does anyone have any thoughts on Bullet connectors vs Deans connectors?
I too am new to the "Electric" hobby world (did nitro cars for MANY years and nitro planes before that!), and picked up my first Heli several months ago. I have been lurking and learning and finally started buying stuff in the last few weeks (batteries, chargers w/ power supply, brushless motor, yada, yada!). Then it came time to look at how everything attaches.

Being an old fart with solid electronics training and set in my ways, one of the first things that "made the hair on the back of my neck stand up" was the whole power connection controversy. One thing I learned very early on in electronics was to NEVER have EXPOSED power connectors on leads attached to SOURCES. In this little world, BOTH connectors can be sources!

Now, to my way of thinking, Deans connectors (however huge the following) fly in the face of good sense (and obviously, what I was taught). Why on earth would you want an exposed power lead that was HOT????? Just can't get past that!

I know, I know, they are everywhere - but that does not make them a sensible choice. Having plowed through an ungodly amount of threads, there were always stories of the destruction caused by an exposed lead touching the wrong something!

Bullet connectors can a little better, but still have some of the same potential issues as the Deans and you have to be very careful to shield the connectors after they are on, etc.

So, MY only sensible choice became Power Poles:

.- can certainly handle the current (offered in different sizes)
.- don't have exposed connections
.- can't be plugged in "incorrectly" (how about those spring things on the Deans!!!)
.- plug and unplug "cleaner"
.- crimp on nicely (yes, you really should buy a half decent crimper, but only once)

So, that's my soapbox blurb on how I feel about Power connectors! Do your research, then decide. I have an order for connectors and a crimper on the way to me from powerwerx.com (recommended by someone on here, I believe). Hopefully my experiences will support my decision!

Please don't be too hard on me!
pwssr is offline Find More Posts by pwssr
Old Aug 02, 2007, 11:05 AM
The Great Santini
Madison, NJ 07940
Joined Dec 2004
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
I have had one such accident. A micro deans hit a banana plug just right, and shorted out. Totally ruined my pack, the wire, and the plug.
I happened to have a couple of feet of scrap plastic hose laying around, I think it was from installing our water filtration system. I cut a small piece, maybe a 1/2 inch or so and found that it fits snug over the micro deans protecting the pins. Id have to look to see what dia/size the hose is, but it works perfectly and I keep a handful of them in reach where I charge. I recommend it.
Santini is offline Find More Posts by Santini
Old Aug 02, 2007, 11:31 AM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2
No crimper required they are very easy to solder, waaaaay easier than Deans
Pete
I have to agree with pilotpete2 here. When I "used" powerpoles I always soldered them (mainly because I didn't know you could crimp them ). As easy as putting a little solder into the tab hole and a little on the connecting wire, hold the solderer to the tab (near the hole) and presto, in the wire slides and a good solid bond . I have TONS of powerpoles in my hobby box BUT I use Deans exclusively now. I guess because all my chargers use them. I even don't remember when I changed over to Deans . I have NO problem with Deans up to 80 amps
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece
Old Aug 02, 2007, 12:24 PM
Jaded Flyer
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2004
2,025 Posts
I use power poles and used to solder them. Now i crimp them and love it. The crimper was very worth it. Also i've taken my power poles up to 138A (my wattmeter stops at 138) and have seen no problems whatsoever.

I prefer the APP because of the easy reconfigure option. I can reconfigure them much easier than deans. No need for a harness for series connections. For parallel connections just crimp 2 ends to 1. Also it's polarized w/o the need for male/female ends. All connections are encased in the housing and the housing is what's polarized.

As far as bullets i've never tried those as it just seems too volatile with the ends flopping all everywhere. I'm sure i'd find some way to inadvertently short them.

,mike
mcharles13 is offline Find More Posts by mcharles13
Old Aug 02, 2007, 12:27 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
I use Deans Ultra's up to 100 amps, and 6mm bulletsa over that. I use Deans Mini's on my fleet of indoor stuff.
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
Old Aug 02, 2007, 12:35 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
hey masterpiece, would you care to get rid of all those "extra" powerpoles you have? I use them on everything that needs plugging, not just r/c stuff.

Todd
savydad is offline Find More Posts by savydad