HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2001, 09:11 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
I finally flew my first heli, my Eco 8

Hello

Some of you may know me because I have emailed you for help and now all of it has finally been put to the test. MY ECO 8 FLYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankyou all for your help.

Just so all of you know I first baught my heli when I was in college after reading some of the good reviews on the ECO 8. I baught it put together but never used with the needed upgrades: metal swash, hardened shafts tail boom supports. Weeks later I baught my first radio JRx347 W/ 10 ch PCM reciever(ccpm activated), 3 HS85 servos and one HS81 servo, GY240 gyro, and special ordered a carbon frame from Germany made by Stefan P(very nice, strong and CHEAP!), Ikarus Preformance motor W/jeti 30H controller, tail servo mount and GFK blades, a bunch of sermos connectors, and fly bar weights. All came to gether well and was really easy to do.

Since I have been in college I have have been practiicing on the FMS simulator and have learned to control the simulation well. In all I have been practicing for 2 months. I have also been reading all of the ECO 8 post.

The day I came home for my one week summer break I set up my my pitch curves(-2 to 10), and throttle.

Today I added the final touches, a CPU Cooling fan(connected to the imput plugs,of the controller). I peak charged my battery(9-cell 2000 mah zapped matched pack). Set my gyro to HH mode went out side to the mowed field behind my house(after practicing on the simulator). Just so you know the field was empty. Also, I put on my 30 sized training gear.

My brother was armed with a digital camera.

I turned on the controller let the gyro initlize and let her rip. All I can say is thank God for training gear After a few bumpy hopps I got the thing to hover.

Things I discovered:

I think my auto rotation gear bearing is lose.

My tail servo horn is too short.

The Ikarus Proformance motor, jeti controller, and cooling fan worked well.

I love this hobby.

Again thank you all for your help

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2001, 09:50 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
it's cool that u live in gainesville; do you know anything about UF's MAV program? i'm guessing u go to UF right now, did u know i was born on UF's campus?
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Old Jun 25, 2001, 10:32 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,804 Posts
Congrads on your first heli flight, and welcome to the "ZONE"!

There is nothing quite like that first hover!

Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jun 25, 2001, 10:49 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

Yes, I am a University of Florida student and I love it there. Right now I am at home in LaBelle, FL. I will be back up there in a week.

pent7
I dont know about the MAV program, but I have a friend that teaches in the Machine Intellegence Lab. I'm sure he can tell me all about it. Its cool that you were born at UF, you cetinally were in good hands Was it at Shands Hospital?

Fred Bonk
Thanks, it definatally was a rush.

Carlo

[This message has been edited by Eco8gator (edited 06-25-2001).]
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Old Jun 25, 2001, 10:54 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
yup, right in Shans hospital. they say that it was good i was born there. i think my doctor's name was Michael *something*
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7