HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2007, 05:55 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Construction is finished, not sure if I'll try programming it tonight or not. I'll try to get some pictures up this weekend (assuming it all works again).
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2007, 07:32 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Messed something up and didn't bring my oscope home, so I'll have to fix this next week.

But it does look nice
Old Nov 03, 2007, 08:58 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,724 Posts
Have a DMM? Should be more then enough to check everything. Verify voltages and then each connection with the schematic.
TheSteve is online now Find More Posts by TheSteve
Old Nov 03, 2007, 09:22 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Looks OK with the voltmeter except that the PPM is only about 2.7 volts which may not be enough. Also can't see if the PPM is inverted or not, I know this made a difference with the Plantraco Monolith.

Right now the DSM module does not light which means no serial data of any kind going to it. It does have voltage on it.

Soldering wires onto the SOIC sized chip was not a lot of fun, but it does program, so I assume the other connections are good too. I did try with the internal 4Mhz osc., just to see if it could be the crystal at fault, but still nothing. Just have to wait until Monday to see if I can find the issue. It worked so well in the dev board that it has to be something simple that I messed up.
Old Nov 05, 2007, 01:53 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
OK, something is wrong with the PPM buffer in the circuit above . So I removed the transistor (Q1) and then connected pin 11 of the 2313 directly to the pulled up PPM line, and it's working . The RF OK light flashes just like it should and I get 2 beeps (because of the length of time of the flashing).

So delete the following components until I figure out what is wrong with the buffer:

R2, R4, Q1

One thing to note, when programming the fuses, uncheck the internal divide by 8 box. I'll see if I can post some screen shots later tonight or tomorrow so that the fuse settings are clear.
Old Nov 05, 2007, 02:07 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I was just re-reading this... What pins do you have the extra LEDs connected to? Just incase I want more blinky lights on mine
Old Nov 05, 2007, 03:22 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,724 Posts
Pins 8 and 9 of the microcontroller can drive LEDs.
One of them will echo the PPM data its seeing, the second will flash and then stay turned on to verify the controller is operating. They were setup this way for testing when we used the code with xbee modules. The plan is to change the one that echos the PPM into a fault light. Once the PPM channel counter/verification is added it will only turn on if it doesn't like the PPM input.
Old Nov 05, 2007, 06:25 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
A couple quick pictures of the finished product.
Old Nov 05, 2007, 11:10 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,724 Posts
Looks great!

The XPS case sure does appear to crimp the coax going to the RM-SMA.

Are you going to add LEDs in the original programming/LED holes from the XP case?
Old Nov 06, 2007, 08:45 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
No I think I'm just going to put a sticker over the top and call it done. If I get really motivated I could put those 2 LEDs in the holes for a little feedback, but as you said the radio gives most of what you need. Maybe when I move this to my MicroStar2000 I'll put those LEDs in since the M* lacks the RF OK LED on the TX, or maybe I'll put in an RF OK LED, not really sure what I'll do yet.

And yes the XPS case does seem to crimp the coax going in, which is why I said I'll do something else the next time around. Also I'm still not happy with the way that they fit in the TX, the side slope a little too much and the tabs do not stick out far enough for a secure fit. The top tab never locks in my radio so it will need to be fixed. And with the antenna in the stock position, you can not remove the module with the antenna mounted, it completely blocks the snap tab. I have one more of these cases that I'll have to use up, then it's back to finding cheap Futaba cases to tear apart.

At this point I'm not sure who is still following this project, and who is still interested in building one of these. I do plan on taking the lead this project presented and applying it to the full power module. I have a feeling that it takes the same serial data at the RF module, so I should be able to get something faster with the M* TX encoder. I'm also going to try sending data down the PPM line to see if the full power module knows the difference between PPM and serial data, that would make things much easier for future all digital options.
Old Nov 06, 2007, 08:49 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
BTW, I should add that the surface mounted components are held down with CA and a little kicker, just incase someone does intend on following this project and building one of these.

And I would like to thank Steve for the work, it may just lead to other discoveries with the Spektrum equipment, which might just benefit all of us that like to tinker.
Old Nov 06, 2007, 12:35 PM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
where did you get the socket for the Tx pins?

I'm thinking about doing this, but getting one of the Tx is non-trivial.
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen
Old Nov 06, 2007, 01:30 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I ordered the socket from Mouser. It is the Molex KK 100 series connector #4455

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/632/1270.pdf
figure C and I bought the gold plated contacts http://www.mouser.com/search/refine....538-22-17-3052
Old Nov 06, 2007, 02:53 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Got a question. This diy module still has the limited range of the LP5DSM, right?
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Nov 06, 2007, 03:41 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,724 Posts
Yes, 250 to 300 feet max suggested range.