HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:54 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon56 View Post
Well i've tried chaging the ticks per us and that has done nothing, the timer multiplier i couldn't find so i tried TCCR1A = 0x62 and that made no difference, if you could be a bit more specific on where this multiplier is as i have not done anything with arduino before. I thought this would have been fairly straight forward but seems not so any more ideas that i could try would be great and thanks for the ones so far.

Have look at this post
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Jul 2009
63 Posts
EDIT: Never mind, I just read the reply on the other thread.
So ER9X can already bind to MCPX using the DSMX.
Great.

Original question:

Do you know if using the DX4e module on ER9x to bind to MCPX,
it is possible to using DSMX protocol instead of DSM2?
I am trying to generate a DSMX SPI trace on the MCPX receiver
side.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
The relevant ones are listed here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=309

I played with the "unknowns" and did not find them to do anything at all.

Pat MacKenzie
printk is offline Find More Posts by printk
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:42 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,965 Posts
FWIW, my MCPx brick, a V1, does not do DSMX mode.

Easy way to tell is to bind to a DSM2 receiver, then the MCPX.
If it still will connect to the DSM2 receiver then the module has not switched to DSMX mode. Use the same model memory and DSM2 settings in ER9X each time.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Sep 2009
86 Posts
Thanks sad sack finally got it working using the code and things that daniel arg posted. had to make a few changes as i'm using arduino 1.0.1, such as the libraries. i can post what i changed if anyone wants the files for a dsm2 module that runs on 16mhz and thats programmed in arduino 1.0.1.
Thanks again for that, really happy that it finally works!
dragon56 is offline Find More Posts by dragon56
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:57 PM
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon56 View Post
Thanks sad sack finally got it working using the code and things that daniel arg posted. had to make a few changes as i'm using arduino 1.0.1, such as the libraries. i can post what i changed if anyone wants the files for a dsm2 module that runs on 16mhz and thats programmed in arduino 1.0.1.
Thanks again for that, really happy that it finally works!
By all means, the more info is posted the better.

Thank you.
blackmoon is offline Find More Posts by blackmoon
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:08 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Sorry i didn't help you sooner, only just remembered.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Sep 2009
86 Posts
!6mhz pro mini dsm2 board

The board i have made is based of the same schemematic as in this post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=237. The board i used was a pro mini 168 with 16mhz and its switchable between 5v and 3.3v. The coding i used was from this post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=225 and what i am posting is basically the same but just a few changes to get it to work with the version of arduino I have. The files for the library are included and the ino files for the pro mini itself. Also if you want to see the functions for the libraries they are included as ino files. The main changes are to the names of libraries and the pins to which each function works through. If you have any questions i'll try help and also thanks to those that helped me and to those that create the original files and did most of the work getting it to work.
dragon56 is offline Find More Posts by dragon56
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:54 PM
ROFLCOPTER
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
DX7 testing

I took apart my favorite radio (pre-dsmx DX7) this past weekend and used my new logic analyzer to watch pin 6 on the radio module. I observed some interesting things. I apologize, I don't have my notes with me right now, so I'm going from memory (which is known to be faulty and the mfr offered no warranty).

The overall serial packet structure was the same: 1 byte command, 1 byte model match, 2 bytes per servo channel. Hence, there were 16 bytes per transfer.

The channel numbers were NOT encoded in the high-order bits of the channel data as observed with the MLP4DSM and the full range of a single channel seemed to be expressed as a 12-bit number. Each channel (except one, noted below) was observed as being between 0x00 0x00 - 0xFF 0xF0. I was sick and medicated and tired, but I distinctly remember the max value being expressed as 0xFF 0xF0 and I that strikes me a strange as if the whole thing is shifted left by 4 bits. I never saw anything but zero in the least-significant 4 bits of each pair regardless of the value of the channel.

The 7th channel was most peculiar. I did notice that no matter what I did, the 7th channel was only ever expressed by the first byte of the last 2-byte channel data--as if the value were left-shifted 8 bits). Normally, I might assume this was just little-endian ordering, but the shifting of the first 6 channels can't be explained by byte ordering. The second byte was always the value of the first byte at the time the power was turned on. (I did some other tests that seemed to confirm the 7th channel had very much reduced resolution compared to the other channels. I would like to more thoroughly experiment before going into those details more.)

Also, I observed some unknown flags being set during binding. The command byte was 0xF1 until the bind button was released and then it became 0xD1. When powered off and then back on normally (no bind button), the command packet was 0x51. In each of these modes, it indicates that the DX7 radio is setting previously undocumented bits 1 and 7 (MSB being bit 0) in the command byte. I don't have any insights to offer on this, only that I observed it and I wonder what these flags might mean.

I need to do some more observation later tonight. I got tired and went to bed before I could finish.
Iron Savior is offline Find More Posts by Iron Savior
Last edited by Iron Savior; Nov 07, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
Sardinia, Italy
Joined May 2009
79 Posts
Hi guys. First of all thank you for your work and for sharing it.
Reading this thread I got an idea. Do you think it's possible to fuse your dsm-ppm sketch with Flytron LayZ (a ppm converter for nunchuck wii arduino based) to make a standalone nunchuck with embedded spektrum tx using only one arduino board?
I think that there is enough room to set an arduino mini, a 500mah lipo and dsm tx on a wii nunchuck.
This is flytron's project link:
http://www.flytron.com/pdf/layz_nunchuck_rc.zip

What do you think? It's a silly idea? Is there anyone who can help me to do that? Or maybe is more functional to use two arduino board, one for tx and one for nunchuck?

sandro
Frazz is offline Find More Posts by Frazz
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,965 Posts
Without digging into the project, generating the DSM2 serial data is actually easier than building a PPM stream. So one Arduino should be able to do it.

Part MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:18 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazz View Post
...Reading this thread I got an idea. Do you think it's possible to fuse your dsm-ppm sketch with Flytron LayZ (a ppm converter for nunchuck wii arduino based) to make a standalone nunchuck with embedded spektrum tx using only one arduino board?
I think that there is enough room to set an arduino mini, a 500mah lipo and dsm tx on a wii nunchuck....
Have a look at these threads:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1131462
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1139131

He used an external RF deck (walkie talkie), but some of his ideas coulld be used for yours.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:34 PM
Sardinia, Italy
Joined May 2009
79 Posts
Hi! I already know fmkit project, but prefer Flytron's work; it's more configurable and above all is under arduino and open.
I made time ago a standalone nunchuck tx compatible with futaba modules but I had some problem with original spektrum module to make it working:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595263

After almost a year, I really don't understand what's the problem It works with several module (Corona, Futaba, etc.) except dsm2
I was thinking that fusing this two projects I would have a chance to get it working and having a super portable dsm motion based control

sandro
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:27 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,729 Posts
Wow, this thread lives on. Its very nice to see the direction it has taken and the projects that have resulted from it.
TheSteve is offline Find More Posts by TheSteve
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:11 PM
Sardinia, Italy
Joined May 2009
79 Posts
Hi. Some news; please tell me if I'm off topic with this variation of the initial project. Before try to fusing sketchs, I made a dsm module arduino based and test it with my nunchuck ppm converter. Damn, it works flawlessly with a pc/ppm gen and my T9 but there is no way to make it working with layz nunchuck conv.
I really don't know what's the problem. I don't have a oscilloscope to test ppm signal from LayZ...maybe I can try to put a pull up resistor?
There is someone who wants to control what is wrong on layz pde with dsm module signal standards?

ciao, sandro
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:12 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
You could always use your sound card for simple oscilloscope.
http://www.zeitnitz.de/Christian/scope_en
http://zelscope.com/ I've used this with just a cable.
http://www.ledametrix.com/oscope/index.html